The NCAA Gives AAC a Look | The Boneyard

The NCAA Gives AAC a Look

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lots of UConn, some USF.

Women's college basketball preview: The AAC is UConn's world, and we're all living in it

"Walker is a 6-1 wing with the ability to do it all when she wants to score: shoot, drive, and work from down low. She plays defense with a tenacity Huskies head coach Geno Auriemma is going to like having on his side (she averaged more than three steals during her senior year), and she’s used to winning: Monacan went 32-0 her senior year.

Adding a talent like Walker to an already-stacked UConn team is going to be a sight to behold. Don’t take it for granted."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"UConn was the better team going into that matchup, but the Huskies fell, as every great team must do now and again."

It's always been my opinion that there is a vast difference between the team with the better players and the better team. UConn had the better 5 players, better than any team in WCBB last year. But MSS had the better team, and it showed as an OT loss for UConn. Period.

Now, let's move on and away from ancient history.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is the second time this has happened and it is really starting to bug me. Azura Stevens may be UCONN most important addition this season and a potential NPOY candidate, yet she was not selected for the AAC conference teams and this NCAA publication previews the entire AAC and UCONN team and not one mention of Azura.

Reaction Score
"UConn was the better team going into that matchup, but the Huskies fell, as every great team must do now and again."

It's always been my opinion that there is a vast difference between the team with the better players and the better team. UConn had the better 5 players, better than any team in WCBB last year. But MSS had the better team, and it showed as an OT loss for UConn. Period.

Now, let's move on and away from ancient history.

MSU had the better team for one night. I am not taking anything away from them, but if you played that game 10 times, there is no doubt in my mind that UConn wins 9 of them. It was just a perfect storm of many different factors that led to the Huskies getting beat.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This is the second time this has happened and it is really starting to bug me. Azura Stevens may be UCONN most important addition this season and a potential NPOY candidate, yet she was not selected for the AAC conference teams and this NCAA publication previews the entire AAC and UCONN team and not one mention of Azura.
Breath my friend, breath... it’s ok that she’s not mentioned in the preseason stuff, not logical but ok as the preseason prognosticators don’t count for squat when the time comes and a 6’6” sweershooting center drains 3 pointers when left uncovered on the perimeter or blows by the defender for a nice little dump off pass underneath to Napheesa. There are those that think they know and then there are those that DO know...so breath and put a wry little smile on your face. :cool:

Reaction Score
A beautiful part of basketball is two teams can play their hearts out and it all can come down to one shot. The lady from Miss. St. made that last shot and is a hero to many young girls in her world. Saniya Chong missed her shot that she has made probably a few thousand times and the Goliath that is UConn Women's basketball was dropped to their knees....once ... in the last 5 years, on the biggest stage in college ball. It happens and that's what makes it so entertaining.

I was pleasantly surprised last year that the Huskies got to the final without a true center on the starting lineup. But it looks like that problem has been solved so look out WCB, this is UConn's world and your all just a part in it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A beautiful I was pleasantly surprised last year that the Huskies got to the final without a true center on the starting lineup. But it looks like that problem has been solved so look out WCB, this is UConn's world and your all just a part in it.
Technically, though, we still don't have a true center. Sure Azura is 6'5", or so, but she's more a wing/forward type - agile, athletic, and I think her game will remind many of Stewie's this year (at least I hope it will). We added forward Camara who is 6'1" or 6'2", but she's not a center either.

Still, we added size, depth, talent, etc etc. Gonna be a fun year!!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Coco - not to fret. If they are not recognizing Z then they are all in for a rude awaking! Just goes to show that the "experts" are anything but that.

Let the games begin!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
MSU had the better team for one night. I am not taking anything away from them, but if you played that game 10 times, there is no doubt in my mind that UConn wins 9 of them. It was just a perfect storm of many different factors that led to the Huskies getting beat.
Could not have said it better myself. Let’s see if McCowan shows improvement and realizes her potential or if she stays enigmatic and then we definitely know we would win 9 of 10. My view is McCowan is for real, had a good coming out NCAA tourney and this team will given USC a run for the SEC title.

Jim

Reaction Score
Technically, though, we still don't have a true center. Sure Azura is 6'5", or so, but she's more a wing/forward type - agile, athletic, and I think her game will remind many of Stewie's this year (at least I hope it will). We added forward Camara who is 6'1" or 6'2", but she's not a center either.
We don't have a center on the roster? We're DDDOOOOOOMMMMED! :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Again, UConn had the better players. But in my opinion the better TEAM shows itself and overcomes adversity under any and all conditions. Yeah, any given night. But that UConn team needed a loss to better understand what it takes. Needed it. MSS was unfortunately the team and the semi's were the time for the better team. After that loss maybe UConn wins, and maybe, just maybe that MSS team matches up well against them again for an even worse spanking. It wasn't as if they didn't make their own slew of mistakes that night. We'll never know, will we?

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
A beautiful part of basketball is two teams can play their hearts out and it all can come down to one shot. The lady from Miss. St. made that last shot and is a hero to many young girls in her world. Saniya Chong missed her shot that she has made probably a few thousand times and the Goliath that is UConn Women's basketball was dropped to their knees....once ... in the last 5 years, on the biggest stage in college ball. It happens and that's what makes it so entertaining.

I was pleasantly surprised last year that the Huskies got to the final without a true center on the starting lineup. But it looks like that problem has been solved so look out WCB, this is UConn's world and your all just a part in it.
Saniya Chong did not get the opportunity to take a shot. She was called for charging.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

@EricLA , with all due respect, Azurá Stevens may not the player who will remind UConn fans of Stewart. Let me explain why.

Stewart, in her senior season, was a player who stepped out from three (about 3.0 attempts per game), was also a great free throw shooter (nearly 84 percent), and had more of a Lauren Jackson type of game.

Stevens, in her sophomore year at Duke, was someone who, when left open, would shoot the three and had solid numbers from beyond the arc (35.3 percent, about 2.1 attempts per game) and at the line (75.0 percent).

But what Stevens was known for at Duke was her rebounding. She averaged 9.6 rebounds as a sophomore. Even more impressive was that she averaged nearly 4.5 offensive rebounds per game. It was her ability to dominate the glass on both ends that allowed her to be such a force.

I think UConn fans, with all due respect, need to get rid of the "we do not have a center mantra." Let me explain why.

Coach K has preached for years about there being three positions in basketball - playmaker, perimeter, and post. On the men's side, we are in an era of basketball that emphasizes spreading the floor with outside shooting and playmaking from all positions (e.g., Golden State using PF Draymond Green as the "center," with spreading shooting and passing throughout all five positions). The NBA playoffs showed us that teams have lineups with a throwback to traditional "bigs" could not work with the modern game (e.g., Cleveland having to bench Tristan Thompson in the Finals and using Kevin Love at center).

Stevens plays in the post. She can pull up anywhere (and can get her own shot anywhere), with improving range (not quite great yet). Good athlete, but not exceptional. Her ability to rise up and shoot is her greatest strength. Good up and down foot speed; can finish in transition all day. Her handle is the weakest part of her game, but still good for a post player (remember, in her last two years combined, Stewart had over 250 assists with about a 2:1 A/TO, but also played with much better ballhandlers). And - as noted - she was a force on the glass.

Against traditional post players, Stewart struggled with A'ja Wilson, held her own against Evelyn Akhator, and was able to hold her own and even outplay Brianna Turner. In her freshman year, she put up 16 points (6-14 from the floor, 1-1 from three, 3-4 from the line), 3 rebounds, 1 assist (and only 1 turnover) against the Morgan Tuck/Breanna Stewart frontcourt, Stevens' only game against UConn.

There really is no "true" or "exact" player comparison for Azurá Stevens. She can be a hybrid of other players. Truth be told, she is the next evolution of Iciss Tillis, with *certain* aspects that will remind people of players like Candace Parker, Breanna Stewart, Tangela Smith, etc.

Now, I will say she has RIDICULOUS potential - off the charts potential, if she improves her ballhandling and is really consistent with her outside shooting. In terms of production and potential, she is the best player on UConn's roster right now. But truth be told "the next evolution of Iciss Tillis" is probably the best description that I could use.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@EricLA , with all due respect, Azurá Stevens may not the player who will remind UConn fans of Stewart. Let me explain why. Truth be told, she is the next evolution of Iciss Tillis, with *certain* aspects that will remind people of players like Candace Parker, Breanna Stewart, Tangela Smith, etc.
Cam Iciss Tillis was quite a while ago. I think a comparable player to Azura is Jonquel Jones. Azura does not have the hops of Jones but she has everything else.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
@EricLA , with all due respect, Azurá Stevens may not the player who will remind UConn fans of Stewart. Let me explain why.

Stewart, in her senior season, was a player who stepped out from three (about 3.0 attempts per game), was also a great free throw shooter (nearly 84 percent), and had more of a Lauren Jackson type of game.

Stevens, in her sophomore year at Duke, was someone who, when left open, would shoot the three and had solid numbers from beyond the arc (35.3 percent, about 2.1 attempts per game) and at the line (75.0 percent).

But what Stevens was known for at Duke was her rebounding. She averaged 9.6 rebounds as a sophomore. Even more impressive was that she averaged nearly 4.5 offensive rebounds per game. It was her ability to dominate the glass on both ends that allowed her to be such a force.

I think UConn fans, with all due respect, need to get rid of the "we do not have a center mantra." Let me explain why.

Coach K has preached for years about there being three positions in basketball - playmaker, perimeter, and post. On the men's side, we are in an era of basketball that emphasizes spreading the floor with outside shooting and playmaking from all positions (e.g., Golden State using PF Draymond Green as the "center," with spreading shooting and passing throughout all five positions). The NBA playoffs showed us that teams have lineups with a throwback to traditional "bigs" could not work with the modern game (e.g., Cleveland having to bench Tristan Thompson in the Finals and using Kevin Love at center).

Stevens plays in the post. She can pull up anywhere (and can get her own shot anywhere), with improving range (not quite great yet). Good athlete, but not exceptional. Her ability to rise up and shoot is her greatest strength. Good up and down foot speed; can finish in transition all day. Her handle is the weakest part of her game, but still good for a post player (remember, in her last two years combined, Stewart had over 250 assists with about a 2:1 A/TO, but also played with much better ballhandlers). And - as noted - she was a force on the glass.

Against traditional post players, Stewart struggled with A'ja Wilson, held her own against Evelyn Akhator, and was able to hold her own and even outplay Brianna Turner. In her freshman year, she put up 16 points (6-14 from the floor, 1-1 from three, 3-4 from the line), 3 rebounds, 1 assist (and only 1 turnover) against the Morgan Tuck/Breanna Stewart frontcourt, Stevens' only game against UConn.

There really is no "true" or "exact" player comparison for Azurá Stevens. She can be a hybrid of other players. Truth be told, she is the next evolution of Iciss Tillis, with *certain* aspects that will remind people of players like Candace Parker, Breanna Stewart, Tangela Smith, etc.

Now, I will say she has RIDICULOUS potential - off the charts potential, if she improves her ballhandling and is really consistent with her outside shooting. In terms of production and potential, she is the best player on UConn's roster right now. But truth be told "the next evolution of Iciss Tillis" is probably the best description that I could use.
Great stuff as always, Cam. Obviously you've seen her up close and personal. Cannot wait to see her on the court in a UCONN uniform! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom