The NBA’s hottest prospect is a 17-year-old from Maine. Meet Cooper Flagg. | The Boneyard

The NBA’s hottest prospect is a 17-year-old from Maine. Meet Cooper Flagg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm reluctant to start another thread on Flagg but this is an interesting and very long article from the Boston Globe that will be in Sunday's paper. I'd put it in another Flagg thread but Tom seems to hate when you post in threads older than a few days. No real mention of UConn except that he visited and ultimately chose Duke. Sounds like we can definitely blame his mother for the Duke love.

There are 29 comments from readers (it was only posted a few hours ago) and I had to chuckle that these were 3 of them. Lots of UConn fans in Boston.

UConn would have been a better choice to prepare him for the NBA.

Superior coaching and supporting players.

Great story - would have loved to see him back in NE playing for UConn, also with 5 NCAA titles (beating Duke for their first in 1999). And yeah to see him in a Celtics jersey! One can dream.

I hope he re-commits to UConn instead of Duke. It sounded like he had a good official visit there but has been a lifelong Duke fan. Coach Dan Hurley would prep him phenomenally for the NBA.

Alternate access:

The NBA’s hottest prospect is a 17-year-old from Maine. Meet Cooper Flagg.

Reaction Score
I was disappointed that he did not go to UConn...but as a Mainer, I am really excited that someone from Maine is making a splash... it kills me, because I probably will end up tuning into some Duke games. In Maine, we have very little to root for sports teams and not many high-level athletes....The whole state of Maine is excited for him. I remember seeing him before he was on the radar, it was clear then that he was different.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I hear you. But he's a New England kid. Article is from a New England paper. But please, no more posts about him potentially decommitting from Duke and committing to UConn. Please. :)

I don't tend to trash any players, even if they went elsewhere. But with this portal reality, nobody should be trashing any former recruit.

As long as UConn keeps winning, they're going to be a vacuum for 2nd chance players.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I don't tend to trash any recruits/players, even if they went elsewhere. But with this portal reality, nobody should be trashing any former recruit.

As long as UConn keeps winning, they're going to be a vacuum for 2nd chance players.
Good point Tom. We should all keep that in mind going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Cooper Flagg and the small New England town that raised basketball’s brightest young star

A native Mainer hasn’t been drafted in 40 years, not since the New Jersey Nets selected Jeff Turner in 1984. Yet somehow, this town — “a place for people going other places,” as resident Earl Anderson calls it — has bred one of basketball’s brightest rising stars. Maine has only one Division I program — the University of Maine — and the Black Bears men’s team has never made the NCAA Tournament. The state rarely exports talent to other programs. “Just because we don’t produce the big D1 athletes as much as those other states do, people don’t think basketball is as big (here),” said Ralph Flagg, Cooper’s dad. “But it really is...”

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
I believe most of us log onto this forum to discuss UConn men’s basketball. Why do we have to keep posting information on this recruit who unfortunately chose another school. We all know how great he is but I just don’t get why we have to be reminded constantly. In fact I would be in favor of locking any threads related to this recruit. As @temery notes it always goes to a place that more than likely won’t help in the future on many levels and at the very least makes us all relive the dissappointment.

Reaction Score
I believe most of us log onto this forum to discuss UConn men’s basketball. Why do we have to keep posting information on this recruit who unfortunately chose another school. We all know how great he is but I just don’t get why we have to be reminded constantly. In fact I would be in favor of locking any threads related to this recruit. As @temery notes it always goes to a place that more than likely won’t help in the future on many levels and at the very least makes us all relive the dissappointment.
I'm always curious why some people complain about the content of threads on here. The thread was clearly labeled on what it is about. Just skip the thread and don't open it if you know the subject doesn't interest you. I do that all the time with stuff I know I don't care about. Believe me, if something related to UConn happens, like Flagg reneging on his commitment to Duke, you'll know about it without having to open this thread.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm always curious why some people complain about the content of threads on here. The thread was clearly labeled on what it is about. Just skip the thread and don't open it if you know the subject doesn't interest you.
A "Meet Cooper Flagg" thread at this point in time seems especially lame to me. We're number one for the first time in over a decade so let's highlight a guy who spurned us. That's why I commented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yeiiowing

Top Bottom