The Mountain West will not expand | The Boneyard

The Mountain West will not expand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Or so they needed to tell the world today.

I'm not sure anyone expected them to, so I read this as "BYU still doesn't want to join".

Reaction Score
I think you read that 100% correctly since just last week MWC Commish went out of his way to say "We'll leave the light on for BYU."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...n-for-byu-as-cougs-focus-on-long-term-future/

Other articles were speculating that the conference would be looking at UTEP and Rice to join as well:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...entioned-as-mountain-west-considers-expansion

Realistically, I'm not sure how much longer BYU can stay independent with their current bowl tie-ins. Their losing out on access without being in a conference and it doesn't appear that the Big 12 is calling anytime soon, especially now that Bronco is gone.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I think you read that 100% correctly since just last week MWC Commish went out of his way to say "We'll leave the light on for BYU."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...n-for-byu-as-cougs-focus-on-long-term-future/

Other articles were speculating that the conference would be looking at UTEP and Rice to join as well:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...entioned-as-mountain-west-considers-expansion

Realistically, I'm not sure how much longer BYU can stay independent with their current bowl tie-ins. Their losing out on access without being in a conference and it doesn't appear that the Big 12 is calling anytime soon, especially now that Bronco is gone.
I'd parlay that with the success that the AAC had this past season. If I were BSU and BYU, I'd be thinking twice about joining the AAC to make a conference that could challenge a down-year P5. The only problem is our horrible TV contract.

Reaction Score
Maybe we coined in the renegotiate clause that the ACC had whenever it expands by 2 teams, hmmmmmmm

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Maybe we coined in the renegotiate clause that the ACC had whenever it expands by 2 teams, hmmmmmmm
It would be too easy to expand with two horrible schools. If it is specific to BYU plus one, it would make some sense. Of course, BYU has its own contract with ESPN already.

Reaction Score
I think the AAC will continue to cement itself as the solid #6 conference with the goal of challenging for #5. If the AAC stays intact with the current schools, and could add BYU and Boise, I think that's realistic. It's not going to be the # 5 conference, but in a given year, it could certainly challenge for that #5 spot. That could happen if the next contract is bigger than what BYU and BSU currently make. Only problem is, if there is any expansion, the AAC is the likely target.

Yes, I would certainly prefer a place in the P5. But, if this league can continue to challenge the P5 leagues, it may have a case for inclusion. That's been Aresco's contention all along. Given our current standing, how can you root against that?

Reaction Score
I think the AAC will continue to cement itself as the solid #6 conference with the goal of challenging for #5. If the AAC stays intact with the current schools, and could add BYU and Boise, I think that's realistic. It's not going to be the # 5 conference, but in a given year, it could certainly challenge for that #5 spot. That could happen if the next contract is bigger than what BYU and BSU currently make. Only problem is, if there is any expansion, the AAC is the likely target.

Yes, I would certainly prefer a place in the P5. But, if this league can continue to challenge the P5 leagues, it may have a case for inclusion. That's been Aresco's contention all along. Given our current standing, how can you root against that?

ESPN will never let the AAC grow and become strong enough to challenge the P5. They will pick it apart by expansion just like they did to the Big East.

Sorry to throw cold water on the hypothetical, but it's just the truth.

Only way the AAC survives and thrives is if one of the existing P5 conferences jump to FS1 or NBC Sports Network (where ESPN will need to replace the lost content) or if somehow magically FS1 and NBC Sports become legit challengers to ESPN in the next 5-10 years.

Reaction Score
ESPN will never let the AAC grow and become strong enough to challenge the P5. They will pick it apart by expansion just like they did to the Big East.

Sorry to throw cold water on the hypothetical, but it's just the truth.

Only way the AAC survives and thrives is if one of the existing P5 conferences jump to FS1 or NBC Sports Network (where ESPN will need to replace the lost content) or if somehow magically FS1 and NBC Sports become legit challengers to ESPN in the next 5-10 years.

There is not a school in the AAC that does not hope that P5 expansion happens and it blows up the AAC, as long as their school gets a ticket out. Losing 2 teams to the Big 12 will not blow up the AAC.

As for the future of watching college sports on TV in the future, none of us know what the business model will be in 5 to 10 years, so anything can happen. What is important for a school like UConn to do is to remain relevant and to continue to build the brand and their athletic programs. In the long run, the UConn fan base and their desire to watch and support UConn athletics will become very important.

Reaction Score
There is not a school in the AAC that does not hope that P5 expansion happens and it blows up the AAC, as long as their school gets a ticket out. Losing 2 teams to the Big 12 will not blow up the AAC.

As for the future of watching college sports on TV in the future, none of us know what the business model will be in 5 to 10 years, so anything can happen. What is important for a school like UConn to do is to remain relevant and to continue to build the brand and their athletic programs. In the long run, the UConn fan base and their desire to watch and support UConn athletics will become very important.

upload_2015-12-15_16-36-26.png

Reaction Score
There's still plenty of schools/markets that are on the way towards "graduating" at the "P5" level. Much of the AAC and MWC are such schools. C-USA has schools that should have long term futures. Even UTEP.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Speaking of the Mountain West they'd have a couple of good American replacement candidates:

Boise
Colorado St
New Mexico
Nevada

As much as I think San Diego State would be a good add I can't see the American going that route again- yes I know they were supposed to be in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Speaking of the Mountain West they'd have a couple of good American replacement candidates:

Boise
Colorado St
New Mexico
Nevada

As much as I think San Diego State would be a good add I can't see the American going that route again- yes I know they were supposed to be in the Big East.
But you think Boise State would consider the AAC?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
But you think Boise State would consider the AAC?

Honestly I have no idea but any relationship would be football only.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Doesn't Boise have a sweetheart deal from the MWC that gives them more then any other team in the conference? That was a big factor in them staying in the MWC if I recall correctly.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Honestly I have no idea but any relationship would be football only.

Considering this exact scenario has already played out a couple years ago, I'd wager the answer is no. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom