The most underrated | The Boneyard

The most underrated

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I say Kia Nurse but she was not underestimated by Geno. Considering he started her in 36 of 39 games in her freshman year. The UCONN fans went gaga over Gabby but not so much Kia. She was Gabby's roommate and friend but not the it girl. She was UCONN's John Stockton. Even Lou received more adulation from the fans. No one was disrespectful just not gushing except for a few perceptive fans. She was the rough and tumble hockey puck but no bright lights. Considering how successful she is at the professional level; she should have received more noteriety. She brought it every game.

Reaction Score
I say Kia Nurse but she was not underestimated by Geno. Considering he started her in 36 of 39 games in her freshman year. The UCONN fans went gaga over Gabby but not so much Kia. She was Gabby's roommate and friend but not the it girl. She was UCONN's John Stockton. Even Lou received more adulation from the fans. No one was disrespectful just not gushing except for a few perceptive fans. She was the rough and tumble hockey puck but no bright lights. Considering how successful she is at the professional level; she should have received more noteriety. She brought it every game.

You probably need to define what underrated and overrated means because anybody who was named the WBCA National Defensive Player of the Year can be considered underrated, I don't think.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You probably need to define what underrated and overrated means because anybody who was named the WBCA National Defensive Player of the Year can be considered underrated, I don't think.
She wasn't an All-American tho. Now that's under rated!

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
But the point is that she was recognized on a national level, even if it was just on the defensive end.

Let's put some more parameters here. No All-American status (or honorable mention), National distinctions (i.e., Defensive Player of the Year, Fresh of the Year) or All-Conference awards. That to me is the definition of underrated.

For example, Krista Rappahahn at Stanford is one of the most underrated players for the Cardinal her senior year. She broke the school record for threes made as a senior (91)... and didn't get any recognition from the conference. Also played some pretty decent defense to boot. But everyone knew how important she was to the team and it's a shame they didn't make it to the Final Four her final year. But there are plenty of players like Rappahahn on every roster.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think one of the most underappreciated players by Boneyarders is Kaleena. Perhaps Stewie and the Big 3 overshadowed her; perhaps her limited success at the pro level is a negative in people's minds. But she had a stellar college career. Kaleena led UConn in scoring for 2 seasons, was a 2-time All-American (probably 3 if not for injury), was arguably the greatest distance shooter ever when combining accuracy and volume, was a 3-time National Champion, and was one of the top scorers in NCAA tournament history. She set up the offense for 3 years by spreading the floor, so Stef, Stewie, and Morgan could go to work inside. When our greatest players are listed, K rarely makes the top 10.

Reaction Score
Faris, Conlon, Strother and Moore are pretty good choices. Nurse didn’t make an all American team but she was a recognized player by the press. The previous ones were all players who filled their roles to perfection and made valuable contributions but didn’t get the spotlight

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
But the point is that she was recognized on a national level, even if it was just on the defensive end.

Let's put some more parameters here. No All-American status (or honorable mention), National distinctions (i.e., Defensive Player of the Year, Fresh of the Year) or All-Conference awards. That to me is the definition of underrated.

For example, Krista Rappahahn at Stanford is one of the most underrated players for the Cardinal her senior year. She broke the school record for threes made as a senior (91)... and didn't get any recognition from the conference. Also played some pretty decent defense to boot. But everyone knew how important she was to the team and it's a shame they didn't make it to the Final Four her final year. But there are plenty of players like Rappahahn on every roster.

And a Connecticut Native...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kaili McLaren is another post player like Kiah Stokes who came off the bench for her career.
Kelly Schumacher is another post who gets overlooked.
Feris of course but also Jes Moore, Strother, Conlon, Ashley Battle, Barb Turner, and Crockett from the 2003 and 2004 teams - everyone talks about how DT carried those teams and that when she graduated it 'fell apart', but those players were all integral to the championships.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Because she played before the birth of the UCONN dynasty it is without a doubt Kerry Bascom.
Bascom's Sophmore, Junior and Senior seasons in which she averaged 20+ PPG may have been the three best season run in UCONN history and comparable to Maya's & Stewie's last there season. Because it was before the birth of the dynasty and did not result in a championship Kerry always gets overlooked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because she played before the birth of the UCONN dynasty it is without a doubt it is Kerry Bascom.
Bascom's Sophmore, Junior and Senior seasons in which she averaged 20+ PPG may have been the three best season run in UCONN history and comparable to Maya's & Stewie's last there season. Because it was before the birth of the dynasty and did not result in a championship Kerry always get overlooked.
I say you are likely correct. I confess to not seeing Bascom play since it was before the program exploded on the national scene. Plus there were fewer opportunities to see women’s basketball on TV at that time.

Reaction Score
Because she played before the birth of the UCONN dynasty it is without a doubt Kerry Bascom.
Bascom's Sophmore, Junior and Senior seasons in which she averaged 20+ PPG may have been the three best season run in UCONN history and comparable to Maya's & Stewie's last there season. Because it was before the birth of the dynasty and did not result in a championship Kerry always gets overlooked.
Yep. Unfortunately this is one of the negatives about the passage of time. Great players become "Yea, didn't they play for?" or "I don't even know if they could make the team today." Kerry was probably, more so than the majority of players he later brought into the program, Geno's type of player.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yep. Unfortunately this is one of the negatives about the passage of time. Great players become "Yea, didn't they play for?" or "I don't even know if they could make the team today." Kerry was probably, more so than the majority of players he later brought into the program, Geno's type of player.
I find this statistical leap absolutely stunning by Bascom.
As a freshman Bascom attempted (3) three pointers and missed them all. Her overall FG% as a Freshman was 46.5%. As a sophomore she went from attempting 3 to attempting 126 three pointers at a 47.6% clip. Her overall FG% rose to 55.5%. Talk about a sophomore leap!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
When is the WBCA National Defensive Player of the Year awarded? At year end! So throughout the year it is possible for fans to ignore her defensive prowess while gagaing over others offense and athleticism. It is possible. For every person there is a different definition for anything.

Reaction Score
Kelly Faris.
You did know this is underrated, not overrated .... Kelly Faris was quite good, particularly in her senior year where she finally seemed to develop into an offensive player but prior to that was primarily a hard nosed, exceptional defensive player but some people here seem to think of her at a level that she doesn't come close to, in my opinion. I feel she is one of the least underrated players that has ever played at UConn. Some people here have talked about her (erroneously) on the boneyard in the same breath as people like Maya and Shea and Sveta, basically super star type terms and she's UNDERRATED???????????

Reaction Score
You did know this is underrated, not overrated .... Kelly Faris was quite good, particularly in her senior year where she finally seemed to develop into an offensive player but prior to that was primarily a hard nosed, exceptional defensive player but some people here seem to think of her at a level that she doesn't come close to, in my opinion. I feel she is one of the least underrated players that has ever played at UConn. Some people here have talked about her (erroneously) on the boneyard in the same breath as people like Maya and Shea and Sveta, basically super star type terms and she's UNDERRATED???????????
Well I can’t say I ever thought of her in the same way as those other players. No, Faris wasn’t the go to for points but she was very much a glue player every program needs. She wasn’t going to scare opponents with her shooting but she helped control the tempo as much as anyone when she was on the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom