The Most Talented "Individual" Starting 5 in the History of UConn WBB? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Most Talented "Individual" Starting 5 in the History of UConn WBB?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
1994-95 I believe was the only UCONN lineup to feature 3 different players who were National POY*.
Kara Wolters C*
Rebecca Lobo PF*
Janelle Elliot SF
Nykesha Sales SG
Jennifer Rizzotti PG*
You are probably correct on the only team with three NPOY's in the lineup, but your starting lineup is not correct for the '94-95 team. While Nykesha Sales played starter minutes, the 5th starter on that team was Pam Webber.

Reaction Score
killjoy :oops:

sorry Oldude.........;)...............I think the number one ranking means very little most years when often as many as five players could be equally talented..................we all know that it takes more then individual talent to make for a successful basketball team as evidenced by Mississippi State among others...............it's talent plus chemistry which is the real secret sauce needed to win.................

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
sorry Oldude....;).....I think the number one ranking means very little most years when often as many as five players could be equally talented...we all know that it takes more then individual talent to make for a successful basketball team as evidenced by Mississippi State among others.....it's talent plus chemistry which is the real secret sauce needed to win.......
CB, I don't disagree with you, but I'm trying to have some fun here and you're letting the air out of my balloon. I'll bet you don't get invited to a lot of parties......:confused:

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
How can the 1999-2000 team not be mentioned/considered?
Considering the following group of PLayers that played that year in no particular order
Svetlana Abrosimova, Shea Ralph, Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones, Tamika Wiliams, Stacy "Bab Bam" Hansmeyer, Kelly Schumacher, Paige Sauer, KJ, Rigby, and so on... who went 39-1, with the one lost to Tennessee 72-71 in the regular season who we later destroyed in the National Championship game, 72-51...

Reaction Score
UConn has fielded some pretty amazing starting 5’s. The ‘01-02 group of Sue, Swin, Asjha, Tamika and DT is generally considered to be the greatest starting 5 in the history of WBB as a team. The ‘15-16 group of Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Kia and Lou was pretty darn good as well. I’m not suggesting that this year’s projected starting 5 of Lou, Pheesa, Crystal, MW & CW will be as successful a team as prior UConn starting 5’s. They don’t have the size up front as the two groups I mention, and while I feel they will be better defensively than many believe, they don’t have any “shut down” defenders, so far (Keep an eye on Megan to become one). What I do believe is that you can make a case that when all is said and done, this year’s starting 5 may be as talented a group of individual basketball players as UConn has ever put on the floor together.

To start, UConn has never fielded a starting 5 with 3 x # 1’s, a number #2 and a lowly #6 (Who made it to the last cut for the US National Team). While it’s true that the sophomore and freshman in the group have yet to demonstrate their ability to dominate games at the college level, when was the last time that Geno had a HS NPOY that didn’t become an AA at UConn? While the “glass half empty” folks will look at what UConn doesn’t have, I prefer to look at several intriguing possibilities that could materialize this season. All 5 of these young ladies can handle the ball and shoot lights out. In Geno’s motion offense there’s going to be lots of open looks.

We know Lou is one of the best shooters on the planet. How much quicker and stronger will she be now that the bum ankle she’s played on since HS has been surgically repaired? Two years ago, Pheesa was a unanimous 1st Team AA and 2nd in the nation in shooting percentage. Last season, Pheesa wasn’t quite as effective as she had to move out on the floor, to some degree, to accommodate Z’s presence on the court. This year, coming off a legitimate run to join the WNBA’s best players on the US National Team, Pheesa is stronger, has improved her outside shooting and she will be back in the low post driving opposing defenders crazy moving constantly, pinning them on her back shoulder, grabbing entry passes from her Husky teammates with her Inspector Gadget arms and then finishing around the basket with one of the best repertoires of low-post moves in WBB.

At the start of last season, Crystal looked like the best pg in college basketball before being slowed for much of the season with painful shin splints. This year Crystal is back to 100%. She’s changed her workout regimen significantly to insure she’s healthy all year. How much better will Crystal be if she’s healthy all year? How much better will the team be if their star pg is able to practice with them every day, rather than spending a significant amount of each practice on the stationary bike?

Finally, let’s talk about the two X-factors in UConn’s starting lineup, Megan and Christyn. I won’t argue that while Megan showed us some glimpses of greatness last season, she was largely inconsistent, just like Crystal the year before. But like Crystal the year before, Geno is praising his sophomore for the work she’s put in during the off-season, her overall improvement and challenging Megan to assert herself on the court. As for Christyn, I’ve been really excited about her since she lit up the court in the McD AA game in March. The last UConn freshman to start her very 1st game as a Husky was Stewie. That’s a lot to live up to, and I’m sure that Christyn will have some ups and downs as all UConn freshman do. But her upside is tremendous and by the end of this season Christyn could be something special.

In case you haven’t guessed, I’m a “glass half full” kind of guy. Like most Husky fans, I am incredibly excited to see this year’s version of the UConn WBB team. Let the games begin!
Thank you oldude, just an amazingly enjoyable and informational posting.

The first FIVE you mentioned with Sue, Swin, Tamika, DT and Asjha are a lot for Uconn kids to live up to--they were amazing. Pat Summit said (in their Senior year); I'm got to there graduation just to be sure they are gone (or words to that effect) They were that good.

Heresy, certainly, I know heresy I speak: The most Talented Team ever for Uconn (forget AA's and awards) was: Stewie, Moriah, Tuck, Kia, Lou/Napheesa. Stew fell apart in the Paradice Jam and took her most of the year to recover, but she recovered when it was important. She is probably the most physically talented Uconn ever, and she had freshman issues. DT was mentally tougher and every bump/push/punch only increased her determination to win. Wana bet CW will follow that lead?

Chrystn Williams, will have issues with Uconn's game, the speed of the game, and those bumping pushing pulling punching, anything to take her out of her game (ala DT, Maya, Stew.)
She will have issues but her confidence issue is ego based, i.e. she know her talent and knows what she can do and no one will stop her.

Reaction Score
Wasn't one of the 4 straight where the starting line up was:

Stewart
Tuck
KML
Nurse
MoJeff

Stokes the 6

That ain't bad. All still in the WNBA.
You are correct. Thanks for mentioning Kiah Stokes who got little credit for the defense of the basket she delivered. As a basket defender I don't remember any better.

Reaction Score
How can the 1999-2000 team not be mentioned/considered?
Considering the following group of PLayers that played that year in no particular order
Svetlana Abrosimova, Shea Ralph, Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones, Tamika Wiliams, Stacy "Bab Bam" Hansmeyer, Kelly Schumacher, Paige Sauer, KJ, Rigby, and so on... who went 39-1, with the one lost to Tennessee 72-71 in the regular season who we later destroyed in the National Championship game, 72-51...
Great group of players: great memories with them: Rigby (Big Rig)--ref said foul, Big Rig said: I don't foul em, I roof em"! Geno sets up a perfect play: Tamika hang near the basket, a long throw to Sveta at or beyond half court. The shot was Sveta's to take, one she rarely missed, Tamika not expecting the pass fumbled it as time ran out. Game lost. Sues' half time half court made basket against ND in BE final, then makes a full court run to make a side court basket to win the game as the buzzer sounded. Bam Bam, Kelly, Paige, Kentra Johnson (3 point shooting PG) filled my head and my heart --Thank you for bringing the alive in my memory, thank you.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Stewart
Tuck
KML
Nurse
MoJeff

Stokes the 6

Is Stewie still playing? I've lost track of her. ;)

Oh, the MVP in the WNBA, WNBA Finals, and World Cup? Now I remember.

Reaction Score
The main thing I was able to take away from this thread is: We certainly have been an extremely blessed fan base over many years.
Well said and necessary every once and awhile when the doom and gloom set in. There were lean years after DT but then Montgomery, Charles, and Maya came to town and life was good again.

Reaction Score
1994-95 I believe was the only UCONN lineup to feature 3 different players who were National POY*.
Kara Wolters C*
Rebecca Lobo PF*
Janelle Elliot SF
Nykesha Sales SG
Jennifer Rizzotti PG*

Exactly! High School rankings are fun to speculate about, but “most talented” should really be based on college performances. That said, though, Sales wasn’t a starter in that team.

Reaction Score
Probably still is. Depends on how you want to look at/measure it. What they became? or What they were at the time?

The 01/02 group were 4 SRs and the GOAT. 3 AA's and 3 SRs. A lot of the other teams had players that were good but not finished products quite yet.

13/14 group had 2 SRs, 1 Jr but Stewart and Jefferson were So's. Not nearly what they would become.

This year could be one of those, what they become. You're looking at possibly, eventually, 5 AA's.

I don't believe Strother ever became a 1st Team AA. And she was the Naismith HSNPOY. I think Bluestar had her ranked #1.
Tamika Williams was only honorable mention also

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I don't believe Strother ever became a 1st Team AA. And she was the Naismith HSNPOY. I think Bluestar had her ranked #1.

Since this comes up relatively frequently, here are the HS recruiting rankings for the Class of 2002 (see attached).

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.1 KB · Views: 49

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
2000-01 had Bird (02), Taurasi (03-04), and Ralph (won a few in 2000). Plus Abrosimova who was a 3x AA and POY candidate in 2001 prior to her injury.

Tamika Catchings won AP, WBCA, and Naismith. There wasn't a Wooden award at that point.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Tamika Catchings won AP, WBCA, and Naismith. There wasn't a Wooden award at that point.

Catchings won most, but Shea won the Honda award and Sports Illustrated. I believe the two of them swept awards besides Wade which went to Edwina Brown...yet another strange Wade trophy pick and why I don’t put as much credibility in that award.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Catchings won most, but Shea won the Honda award and Sports Illustrated. I believe the two of them swept awards besides Wade which went to Edwina Brown...yet another strange Wade trophy pick and why I don’t put as much credibility in that award.

I suppose those are POY awards :D

Reaction Score

Stewart
Tuck
KML
Nurse
MoJeff

Stokes the 6

Stewie, Mo, etc. get my vote at #1 UConn team of all time, with the Lobo/Waters team a possible contender as well. Stewie and Mo were shut down defenders as well as great offensive players. DT's great teams could blow the competition away with offense but were not as skilled in both sides of the game.

Reaction Score
UConn has fielded some pretty amazing starting 5’s. The ‘01-02 group of Sue, Swin, Asjha, Tamika and DT is generally considered to be the greatest starting 5 in the history of WBB as a team. The ‘15-16 group of Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Kia and Lou was pretty darn good as well. I’m not suggesting that this year’s projected starting 5 of Lou, Pheesa, Crystal, MW & CW will be as successful a team as prior UConn starting 5’s. They don’t have the size up front as the two groups I mention, and while I feel they will be better defensively than many believe, they don’t have any “shut down” defenders, so far (Keep an eye on Megan to become one). What I do believe is that you can make a case that when all is said and done, this year’s starting 5 may be as talented a group of individual basketball players as UConn has ever put on the floor together.

To start, UConn has never fielded a starting 5 with 3 x # 1’s, a number #2 and a lowly #6 (Who made it to the last cut for the US National Team). While it’s true that the sophomore and freshman in the group have yet to demonstrate their ability to dominate games at the college level, when was the last time that Geno had a HS NPOY that didn’t become an AA at UConn? While the “glass half empty” folks will look at what UConn doesn’t have, I prefer to look at several intriguing possibilities that could materialize this season. All 5 of these young ladies can handle the ball and shoot lights out. In Geno’s motion offense there’s going to be lots of open looks.

We know Lou is one of the best shooters on the planet. How much quicker and stronger will she be now that the bum ankle she’s played on since HS has been surgically repaired? Two years ago, Pheesa was a unanimous 1st Team AA and 2nd in the nation in shooting percentage. Last season, Pheesa wasn’t quite as effective as she had to move out on the floor, to some degree, to accommodate Z’s presence on the court. This year, coming off a legitimate run to join the WNBA’s best players on the US National Team, Pheesa is stronger, has improved her outside shooting and she will be back in the low post driving opposing defenders crazy moving constantly, pinning them on her back shoulder, grabbing entry passes from her Husky teammates with her Inspector Gadget arms and then finishing around the basket with one of the best repertoires of low-post moves in WBB.

At the start of last season, Crystal looked like the best pg in college basketball before being slowed for much of the season with painful shin splints. This year Crystal is back to 100%. She’s changed her workout regimen significantly to insure she’s healthy all year. How much better will Crystal be if she’s healthy all year? How much better will the team be if their star pg is able to practice with them every day, rather than spending a significant amount of each practice on the stationary bike?

Finally, let’s talk about the two X-factors in UConn’s starting lineup, Megan and Christyn. I won’t argue that while Megan showed us some glimpses of greatness last season, she was largely inconsistent, just like Crystal the year before. But like Crystal the year before, Geno is praising his sophomore for the work she’s put in during the off-season, her overall improvement and challenging Megan to assert herself on the court. As for Christyn, I’ve been really excited about her since she lit up the court in the McD AA game in March. The last UConn freshman to start her very 1st game as a Husky was Stewie. That’s a lot to live up to, and I’m sure that Christyn will have some ups and downs as all UConn freshman do. But her upside is tremendous and by the end of this season Christyn could be something special.

In case you haven’t guessed, I’m a “glass half full” kind of guy. Like most Husky fans, I am incredibly excited to see this year’s version of the UConn WBB team. Let the games begin!
Nice post, olddude! Given thar we are all sports nuts, I suppose it's only natural that we all have a tendency to indulge in the age-old "who wuz da best ever?" game. These discussions are as fun as they are ultimately meaningless. Still, I agree with you that the lineup the Huskies wll put on the floor this season will be formidable indeed, and much more so that folks tend to credit. We fans of this program are so outrageously spoiled by success that it is unsurprising to read some of the sentiments currently being expressed on our Board. The program has suffered two losses in the last two years, both by just one bucket in overtime and both in semifinal games and the only concluions to which we can come are 1., the era of UConn dominance in WCBB has come to an end, 2., the coach's methodology is no longer valid, 3., the likelihood of capturing another NC in the near future is remote, etc. Yes, other programs are getting better, and getting closer to UConn, however far they may be from matching UConn's unbelievable record...this is a great thing for the game. UConn cannot, and should not, win every National Championship. But getting #12 this season is far from out of the question, and the lineup, as you suggest, is going to be excellent, even outstanding. Because of its necessary reliance on the talents of younger players, I expect it to be a much more dangerous team come tourney time than in the regular season, but I am confident that, barring serious injury problems, the team will, as usual, be in the mix when the Final Four rolls around. This will be Megan Walker's breakout season...or is the tradition of such breakouts by UConn players also just a thing of the past? Gimme a break!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom