The Most Talented "Individual" Starting 5 in the History of UConn WBB? | The Boneyard

The Most Talented "Individual" Starting 5 in the History of UConn WBB?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn has fielded some pretty amazing starting 5’s. The ‘01-02 group of Sue, Swin, Asjha, Tamika and DT is generally considered to be the greatest starting 5 in the history of WBB as a team. The ‘15-16 group of Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Kia and Lou was pretty darn good as well. I’m not suggesting that this year’s projected starting 5 of Lou, Pheesa, Crystal, MW & CW will be as successful a team as prior UConn starting 5’s. They don’t have the size up front as the two groups I mention, and while I feel they will be better defensively than many believe, they don’t have any “shut down” defenders, so far (Keep an eye on Megan to become one). What I do believe is that you can make a case that when all is said and done, this year’s starting 5 may be as talented a group of individual basketball players as UConn has ever put on the floor together.

To start, UConn has never fielded a starting 5 with 3 x # 1’s, a number #2 and a lowly #6 (Who made it to the last cut for the US National Team). While it’s true that the sophomore and freshman in the group have yet to demonstrate their ability to dominate games at the college level, when was the last time that Geno had a HS NPOY that didn’t become an AA at UConn? While the “glass half empty” folks will look at what UConn doesn’t have, I prefer to look at several intriguing possibilities that could materialize this season. All 5 of these young ladies can handle the ball and shoot lights out. In Geno’s motion offense there’s going to be lots of open looks.

We know Lou is one of the best shooters on the planet. How much quicker and stronger will she be now that the bum ankle she’s played on since HS has been surgically repaired? Two years ago, Pheesa was a unanimous 1st Team AA and 2nd in the nation in shooting percentage. Last season, Pheesa wasn’t quite as effective as she had to move out on the floor, to some degree, to accommodate Z’s presence on the court. This year, coming off a legitimate run to join the WNBA’s best players on the US National Team, Pheesa is stronger, has improved her outside shooting and she will be back in the low post driving opposing defenders crazy moving constantly, pinning them on her back shoulder, grabbing entry passes from her Husky teammates with her Inspector Gadget arms and then finishing around the basket with one of the best repertoires of low-post moves in WBB.

At the start of last season, Crystal looked like the best pg in college basketball before being slowed for much of the season with painful shin splints. This year Crystal is back to 100%. She’s changed her workout regimen significantly to insure she’s healthy all year. How much better will Crystal be if she’s healthy all year? How much better will the team be if their star pg is able to practice with them every day, rather than spending a significant amount of each practice on the stationary bike?

Finally, let’s talk about the two X-factors in UConn’s starting lineup, Megan and Christyn. I won’t argue that while Megan showed us some glimpses of greatness last season, she was largely inconsistent, just like Crystal the year before. But like Crystal the year before, Geno is praising his sophomore for the work she’s put in during the off-season, her overall improvement and challenging Megan to assert herself on the court. As for Christyn, I’ve been really excited about her since she lit up the court in the McD AA game in March. The last UConn freshman to start her very 1st game as a Husky was Stewie. That’s a lot to live up to, and I’m sure that Christyn will have some ups and downs as all UConn freshman do. But her upside is tremendous and by the end of this season Christyn could be something special.

In case you haven’t guessed, I’m a “glass half full” kind of guy. Like most Husky fans, I am incredibly excited to see this year’s version of the UConn WBB team. Let the games begin!

Reaction Score
Was Crystal Dangerfield not a #1? I think KLS and Megan were, and believe CW was as well. I know Collier was around top 5 like ONO which means this team has six players in the top 5 of which half were #1. I can't recall a team with that kind of assemblage of top recruits, let alone one that most are thinking will have a down year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Was Crystal Dangerfield not a #1? I think KLS and Megan were, and believe CW was as well. I know Collier was around top 5 like ONO which means this team has six players in the top 5 of which half were #1. I can't recall a team with that kind of assemblage of top recruits, let alone one that most are thinking will have a down year.
Not sure about all of the rating services. I'm just going by Hoopgurlz where Baylor's Cox was #1 with Crystal #2.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dolson, Stewart, Lewis, Hartley, and Jefferson weren't bad.
Agreed. That team had 6'5" and 6'4" up front, and 6'4" coming off the bench, which I pointed out in my OP is one of the shortcomings (pun intended) of this year's starting 5.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn has fielded some pretty amazing starting 5’s. The ‘01-02 group of Sue, Swin, Asjha, Tamika and DT is generally considered to be the greatest starting 5 in the history of WBB as a team. The ‘15-16 group of Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Kia and Lou was pretty darn good as well. I’m not suggesting that this year’s projected starting 5 of Lou, Pheesa, Crystal, MW & CW will be as successful a team as prior UConn starting 5’s. They don’t have the size up front as the two groups I mention, and while I feel they will be better defensively than many believe, they don’t have any “shut down” defenders, so far (Keep an eye on Megan to become one). What I do believe is that you can make a case that when all is said and done, this year’s starting 5 may be as talented a group of individual basketball players as UConn has ever put on the floor together.

To start, UConn has never fielded a starting 5 with 3 x # 1’s, a number #2 and a lowly #6 (Who made it to the last cut for the US National Team). While it’s true that the sophomore and freshman in the group have yet to demonstrate their ability to dominate games at the college level, when was the last time that Geno had a HS NPOY that didn’t become an AA at UConn? While the “glass half empty” folks will look at what UConn doesn’t have, I prefer to look at several intriguing possibilities that could materialize this season. All 5 of these young ladies can handle the ball and shoot lights out. In Geno’s motion offense there’s going to be lots of open looks.

We know Lou is one of the best shooters on the planet. How much quicker and stronger will she be now that the bum ankle she’s played on since HS has been surgically repaired? Two years ago, Pheesa was a unanimous 1st Team AA and 2nd in the nation in shooting percentage. Last season, Pheesa wasn’t quite as effective as she had to move out on the floor, to some degree, to accommodate Z’s presence on the court. This year, coming off a legitimate run to join the WNBA’s best players on the US National Team, Pheesa is stronger, has improved her outside shooting and she will be back in the low post driving opposing defenders crazy moving constantly, pinning them on her back shoulder, grabbing entry passes from her Husky teammates with her Inspector Gadget arms and then finishing around the basket with one of the best repertoires of low-post moves in WBB.

At the start of last season, Crystal looked like the best pg in college basketball before being slowed for much of the season with painful shin splints. This year Crystal is back to 100%. She’s changed her workout regimen significantly to insure she’s healthy all year. How much better will Crystal be if she’s healthy all year? How much better will the team be if their star pg is able to practice with them every day, rather than spending a significant amount of each practice on the stationary bike?

Finally, let’s talk about the two X-factors in UConn’s starting lineup, Megan and Christyn. I won’t argue that while Megan showed us some glimpses of greatness last season, she was largely inconsistent, just like Crystal the year before. But like Crystal the year before, Geno is praising his sophomore for the work she’s put in during the off-season, her overall improvement and challenging Megan to assert herself on the court. As for Christyn, I’ve been really excited about her since she lit up the court in the McD AA game in March. The last UConn freshman to start her very 1st game as a Husky was Stewie. That’s a lot to live up to, and I’m sure that Christyn will have some ups and downs as all UConn freshman do. But her upside is tremendous and by the end of this season Christyn could be something special.

In case you haven’t guessed, I’m a “glass half full” kind of guy. Like most Husky fans, I am incredibly excited to see this year’s version of the UConn WBB team. Let the games begin!

Good Monday morning post to kickstart the week. Thanks OD. :cool:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Individual ranking-wise, 2017-18 should have the most top heavy starting 5 ever. Three #1 recruits, CD who was #3 and Collier at #6.

When you look at the best starting 5 ever in terms of skill level and development, I think it has to be 2014. Everyone could light you up for 20 on a given night, the interior defense was spectacular, every player could score from deep and the roster had a good blend of youth and experience. The younger players too were very polished—Stewart won most POY awards and Jefferson was easily one of the top PGs in the nation that year.

2002 would be a close #2. They were so experienced and played great together, but on an individual player basis, 2014 had more skilled players IMO. Jones and Williams filled their roles perfectly and were strong defensively, but neither brought as much to the table as any of the 5 starters from 2014.

2016 was another strong year, but it was really a team with a standout big 3 and 2 supporting role players as starters. Nurse as a sophomore was good but didn’t do anything spectacular, and KLS shot well but was nothing compared to the player she has become.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I agree UConn has a talented starting 5 this year. However all number 1's are not the same as we all know. The 1's on UCONN roster are not transcendent players like Maya and Stewart in my opinion.

This is definitely true (that all #1s are not created equal). It seems like every 4-5 years there’s a transcending #1 player who enters the collegiate ranks. In the last 15 years, it’s been Parker, Moore, Griner, and Stewart. Fudd might be the next one.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1994-95 I believe was the only UCONN lineup to feature 3 different players who were National POY*.
Kara Wolters C*
Rebecca Lobo PF*
Janelle Elliot SF
Nykesha Sales SG
Jennifer Rizzotti PG*

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou, Megan, and Christyn were consensus, though perhaps not unanimous, #1s. Crystal was #3 behind only Cox and Holmes, so she was the best player in her class under 6'3". Pheesa was underrated at #6. As a sophomore, she was an AP First Team All-American, that is, in the top 5 of all classes. She beat out all the college players and some pros in competing for Team USA in 2018. That group has elite level talent across the board.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree UConn has a talented starting 5 this year. However all number 1's are not the same as we all know. The 1's on UCONN roster are not transcendent players like Maya and Stewart in my opinion.
While I agree with your comment, I do want to see where Christyn ends up in the pantheon of UConn WBB players. It's certainly unfair to label her as a transcendent player at this point in her career, but she has tremendous ability and possesses a level of confidence as a freshman that we haven't seen around Storrs since Maya showed up.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Pheesa was underrated at #6.

Really, she was closer to #4 as Zandalsini never came to the US for college and Salvadores spent just one year at Duke before going pro.

Besides Lou, the people ahead of her were Durr and Shepard. Durr is an All-American and was the best player on a Final Four team that beat the eventual National Champion twice in the regular season. Shepard was arguably the best player in the Final Four for said National Champions.

I don't have any problem with the take that Pheesa is better than Durr and Shepard. It's just hard to ding ESPN too hard for those rankings.

That 2015 class turned out to be very strong. It also includes #10 Ogunbowale, #11 Kalani Brown, #24 Marina Mabrey, #28 Sophie Cunningham among many other good/great players.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Your glass may be more than half full. But I hope things are as bright as you see them. I think our offense will be very good. It is on defense that we just do not know how they will be. My fondest wish is that a few bench players can provide quality minutes to maintain leads and allow for some starters to play aggressively without fouling out fears. Go Huskies. I am ready for it to get started. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UConn has fielded some pretty amazing starting 5’s. The ‘01-02 group of Sue, Swin, Asjha, Tamika and DT is generally considered to be the greatest starting 5 in the history of WBB as a team.
Probably still is. Depends on how you want to look at/measure it. What they became? or What they were at the time?

The 01/02 group were 4 SRs and the GOAT. 3 AA's and 3 SRs. A lot of the other teams had players that were good but not finished products quite yet.

13/14 group had 2 SRs, 1 Jr but Stewart and Jefferson were So's. Not nearly what they would become.

This year could be one of those, what they become. You're looking at possibly, eventually, 5 AA's.

when was the last time that Geno had a HS NPOY that didn’t become an AA at UConn?
I don't believe Strother ever became a 1st Team AA. And she was the Naismith HSNPOY. I think Bluestar had her ranked #1.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
1994-95 I believe was the only UCONN lineup to feature 3 different players who were National POY*.
Kara Wolters C*
Rebecca Lobo PF*
Janelle Elliot SF
Nykesha Sales SG
Jennifer Rizzotti PG*

2000-01 had Bird (02), Taurasi (03-04), and Ralph (won a few in 2000). Plus Abrosimova who was a 3x AA and POY candidate in 2001 prior to her injury.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Your glass may be more than half full. But I hope things are as bright as you see them. I think our offense will be very good. It is on defense that we just do not know how they will be. My fondest wish is that a few bench players can provide quality minutes to maintain leads and allow for some starters to play aggressively without fouling out fears. Go Huskies. I am ready for it to get started. :)
With two NDPOY's last season, UConn still played a significant amount of zone defense last year. I expect to see multiple zone defenses this year with man-to-man mixed in.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
2000-01 had Bird (02), Taurasi (03-04), and Ralph (won a few in 2000). Plus Abrosimova who was a 3x AA and POY candidate in 2001 prior to her injury.

As you say, all the key pieces from the '02 team, plus Shea and Sveta, and KJ and Big Rig too. I always reference Holy Cross coach Bill Gibbons quote when discussing this squad "We're going down to Storrs to play the two best teams in the country". He wasn't far off.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Really, she was closer to #4 as Zandalsini never came to the US for college and Salvadores spent just one year at Duke before going pro.

Besides Lou, the people ahead of her were Durr and Shepard. Durr is an All-American and was the best player on a Final Four team that beat the eventual National Champion twice in the regular season. Shepard was arguably the best player in the Final Four for said National Champions.

I don't have any problem with the take that Pheesa is better than Durr and Shepard. It's just hard to ding ESPN too hard for those rankings.

That 2015 class turned out to be very strong. It also includes #10 Ogunbowale, #11 Kalani Brown, #24 Marina Mabrey, #28 Sophie Cunningham among many other good/great players.
The importance of having a strong senior class should not be underestimated, no matter the talent. UConn's 2002 class had 4 of the top 5 choices in the draft. 2016 produced the top 3. In 2017, SC had 3 top 10 picks. While this year's draft class is enormously talented, I expect ND to have four 1st rounders. As talented as I believe UConn's starting 5 will be this season, ND's experience will be tough to overcome

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't believe Strother ever became a 1st Team AA. And she was the Naismith HSNPOY. I think Bluestar had her ranked #1.
Also a Gatorade NPOY. Strother was an interesting exception to my question. She played in every game at UConn, starting 142/143. At the time of her graduation, she was one of only two Huskies to amass 1600 pts, 600 rebounds, 400 assists, 100 steals and 100 blocks, with DT being the other. She played on 2 National championship teams and numerous USA National Teams. She played through a persistent foot injury during her senior season in Storrs, which may in part have kept her off any AA teams and certainly curtailed her pro career.

Reaction Score
Your ranking means nothing once you step on the court...........didn't some basketball UConn coach say that a while back? Did Notre Dame have any number one ranked players on their roster last year?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Your ranking mean nothing once you step on the court......didn't some basketball UConn coach say that a while back? Did Notre Dame have any number one ranked players on their roster last year?
killjoy :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom