The Most Important thing this season | The Boneyard

The Most Important thing this season

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We need to be ready for the start of the season. We have Kutztown and Northeaster and then the tuff games early on Texas and NC State. We need to be ready. We may see some rust and thats because its early in the season and we may not be jellin like we would be in March but we must be ready. That means especially our top 6-7 players have to be ready to go and that means on both sides of the ball. We most likely will see everybody play in the first two games making sure are newbies make some shots and get the feel for the game. Against Texas we may have a shorter bench.

I will be looking for crisp passing, and seeing who's hitting their shots and who's ready to step up. The questions on who will have jitters and how our newbies adjust to the game will be interesting to watch. Our newbies Lou Ines Patterson Ice and maybe we should add Griff who has been out to the list to watch and see how effective they will be in the first few games of the season. All that relates to counting on Azzi Caroline Edwards Dorka Nika and Amari. As most of you know I feel Amari just may be the surprise this season only because she spent the summer working hard to be better prepared for this season.

So some what "IF'S" Who will replace Nika if she gets into early foul trouble or needs a rest? Who will replace any starter if they get into foul trouble? I expect the coaching staff has drilling into the players heads stay out of foul trouble. Other things to look for is The Griffs adjustment coming back and her effectiveness. How will Lou and Ines play in a game like Texas and NC State? Who will be the first and second option off the bench. From reading the threads many fans feel Ice and Patterson will get alot of minutes early on. Against Texas it will be interesting to see how they would perform.

Who will be our All Americans this season? Azzi Caroline Edwards??? I would expect them to be in the running.

We have a tremendous amount of talent and it may take a time to blossom so early on the most important thing this season is to be Ready.

Reaction Score
We need to be ready for the start of the season. We have Kutztown and Northeaster and then the tuff games early on Texas and NC State. We need to be ready. We may see some rust and thats because its early in the season and we may not be jellin like we would be in March but we must be ready. That means especially our top 6-7 players have to be ready to go and that means on both sides of the ball. We most likely will see everybody play in the first two games making sure are newbies make some shots and get the feel for the game. Against Texas we may have a shorter bench.

I will be looking for crisp passing, and seeing who's hitting their shots and who's ready to step up. The questions on who will have jitters and how our newbies adjust to the game will be interesting to watch. Our newbies Lou Ines Patterson Ice and maybe we should add Griff who has been out to the list to watch and see how effective they will be in the first few games of the season. All that relates to counting on Azzi Caroline Edwards Dorka Nika and Amari. As most of you know I feel Amari just may be the surprise this season only because she spent the summer working hard to be better prepared for this season.

So some what "IF'S" Who will replace Nika if she gets into early foul trouble or needs a rest? Who will replace any starter if they get into foul trouble? I expect the coaching staff has drilling into the players heads stay out of foul trouble. Other things to look for is The Griffs adjustment coming back and her effectiveness. How will Lou and Ines play in a game like Texas and NC State? Who will be the first and second option off the bench. From reading the threads many fans feel Ice and Patterson will get alot of minutes early on. Against Texas it will be interesting to see how they would perform.

Who will be our All Americans this season? Azzi Caroline Edwards??? I would expect them to be in the running.

We have a tremendous amount of talent and it may take a time to blossom so early on the most important thing this season is to be Ready.
Hit the nail on the head, once again TC!!
Even without Paige we have the pieces to play with anybody.
How the pieces fit together and how and when they will be deployed will be fun to watch.
Another season when Geno and coaches will have their thinking caps on at all times.
Let’s stay healthy this time around?

Reaction Score
Great post as always, @Tonyc, especially the part about Amari. I got the feeling that Amari is going to surprise us this season with her development on the floor and get some major minutes. With our players recovering from their injuries (Griff, Dorka, Azzi, and Caroline), I think once they take a few hits, in practice or actual games, and see that they are able to sustain those hits, they are going to gain so much confidence down the road.

We got some very talented players and a brutal opening of games but to me, this is what you want. You want to see how your team does against tough teams. Those first games can make or break a team and I can not wait to see what develops over those first 7-8 games.

Reaction Score
Be in the final four... and contest for the NC! Everything else is important, but
I guess the most important thing is no major injuries ( especially in the last 6
weeks) and EVERYBODY EATS! I would love to see ( at least ) one surprise/major
breakout! ( I'll vote for Lou Lopez S. ??)

Reaction Score
I always start the season with only 1 hope, to stay healthy, no major injuries or long illnesses, all season!
If that happens everything else is within their grasp!
They have so much talent and the best coaching staff in WCBB!

Reaction Score
It will take time because If we are to be a serious contender, there are 4 players who haven’t played a second for UCONN but must be big contributors to the success of this team in March and April. With Paige gone, this becomes an abnormal year where the “base” is good but not championship great. To become great, new players don’t enjoy the usual “acclimation” year. They must be a major reason we cut down the nets.

Reaction Score
This is the first time that Geno and the coaching staff are dealing with preparing for a season without their true super star. It did not happen with Lobo, Diana, Maya and Breanna. we wish that it did not happen to Paige. Looking forward to seeing what develops.

B&C

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great post as always, @Tonyc, especially the part about Amari. I got the feeling that Amari is going to surprise us this season with her development on the floor and get some major minutes. With our players recovering from their injuries (Griff, Dorka, Azzi, and Caroline), I think once they take a few hits, in practice or actual games, and see that they are able to sustain those hits, they are going to gain so much confidence down the road.

We got some very talented players and a brutal opening of games but to me, this is what you want. You want to see how your team does against tough teams. Those first games can make or break a team and I can not wait to see what develops over those first 7-8 games.
How Aubrey looks is one of the negatives that I am most interested in. We have probably never seen her play without pain. I am looking forward to seeing her play unimpeded. That said, she’s been off a long time, so it may take her a while to get her “game legs“ back. We will need to be patient with her.

(The same could be said of Caroline, by the way.)

Reaction Score
We already know how Lou will play against Texas. She torched them (until Ebo elbowed her in the face) when they were stronger than they’ll be this year while playing for a much weaker team. I suspect Lou will torch them once again, even worse this time around, surrounded as shell be by other offensive threats.

Reaction Score
We have 4 known and 4 unknowns, but great expectations, and 3 I pray they can help. The edge we have is the best coaching staff in women's basketball. Geno is a mastermind in getting the top performances from his players. If he can't get it, it's not there. His way of coaching is too challenge his players early with top talented teams and it has seemed to work over the last 20 years. Unless something drastic happens ,which I pray every day that nothing happens, I will always start each game with a positive frame of mind and enjoy every second of the UCONN HUSKIES. They are legend in women's basketball. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
While UConn women may be less than tournement ready for the first few games of the season and against strong opponent, just remember that the opponents are going through the same growning pains as UConn in the early part of the season. This will all come down to how they are coached and if they paid attention. As good or bad as they played last season and with all of the injuries, they still ended up in the final four.

Reaction Score

Tony, as always a well-reasoned post. But I think you are seeing problems where there are really just small concerns. Sure, I don't expect them all to be stars but if 3 of the 5 are 80% of what we expect then UConn is sitting pretty and we fans are in for a treat.

This is a veteran college team. They will be ready. Two years ago Bueckers, Mühl and Edwards were forced to play major roles as freshmen. Last year it was the same thing with Fudd and Ducharme. Those five, minus one, are all veterans now. And yes, this season we have five new faces but not one of them is being forced to start. Geno can fit them into situations they can handle early and by January I expect them to play major roles in the rotation.
While staying out of foul trouble is always good, UConn's depth will allow aggressive play. I'd rather have to tone down aggression than encourage it from passive players.

In a big game Fudd will be the 2 and move to the 1 if Muhl has to sit. Not her best position but she is probably better at it than Mühl, just as Bueckers was a 1 but also was the best 2.

Reaction Score
Tony, as always a well-reasoned post. But I think you are seeing problems where there are really just small concerns. Sure, I don't expect them all to be stars but if 3 of the 5 are 80% of what we expect then UConn is sitting pretty and we fans are in for a treat.

This is a veteran college team. They will be ready. Two years ago Bueckers, Mühl and Edwards were forced to play major roles as freshmen. Last year it was the same thing with Fudd and Ducharme. Those five, minus one, are all veterans now. And yes, this season we have five new faces but not one of them is being forced to start. Geno can fit them into situations they can handle early and by January I expect them to play major roles in the rotation.
While staying out of foul trouble is always good, UConn's depth will allow aggressive play. I'd rather have to tone down aggression than encourage it from passive players.

In a big game Fudd will be the 2 and move to the 1 if Muhl has to sit. Not her best position but she is probably better at it than Mühl, just as Bueckers was a 1 but also was the best 2.
Azzi and Caroline are not veterans however. They are underclassmen in which both did not play a full season in which they got minutes in all games.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I’m with the posters who think Amari will be a significant contributor this season. There’s something about her presence this summer and how she’s put herself front and center that to me points to confidence and really good chemistry with her teammates.

Reaction Score
There is only one important question mark- will Amari be able to play some meaningful minutes against top teams. UConn is full of excellent players in all the positions except center

I think that every other player will play up to or exceed expectations.

Dorca should not have to carry all the burden at center. If Amari can play near her potential, UConn will be hard to beat,

Reaction Score
There is only one important question mark- will Amari be able to play some meaningful minutes against top teams. UConn is full of excellent players in all the positions except center

Dorca should not have to carry all the burden at center. If Amari can play near her potential, UConn will be hard to beat,
I think Dorka and Edwards are absolutely okay. Maybe not All_Americans but okay (maybe one will be! :)). Edwards as a frosh was part of a team that went to FF and this past year in the E8 game and that Stanford game she was backup to Liv. She is a fine backup center. If she does again someone 6'6 or 6'7 then trouble but not many out there on good enough teams to beat UCONN usually.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom