The Most Far-Fetched Thing: Ines starting before UConn's 10th game.... | The Boneyard

The Most Far-Fetched Thing: Ines starting before UConn's 10th game....

Reaction Score

Recruited in an emergency to redirect her college basketball trajectory, Ines Bettencourt found herself starting UConn's 9th game of the season after sealing the victory in the 8th following a few what-to-do fumbles. As Geno said after Princeton, she is brave, which you can't teach. Now, she is being given a crash course in the most important role in UConn WBB: the point guard. Considering everything - no Summer session, new to everything, age - her progress is accelerating....

Can't help but root for her while rooting for the team....

Reaction Score
She's having to grow up fast, which makes her a real asset.
And if you consider that she came from that "hotbed" of basketball, the Azores (doesn't show my wink, wink emojis), and arrived just as she was about to turn 18 when classes were about to begin for her adventure of a lifetime......little did she suspect how quickly the adventure could have turned into a nightmare but brave she has been, indeed. (Geno said she doesn't know much but that he can fix that)

How did UConn even find her?

I rest my case, whatever that may become.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The season may be disappointing measured against what we anticipated, but it certainly isn't dull and we can take pleasure and satisfaction from youngsters stepping up.
I never thought that before 10 games are in, I would feel so sad (for the fallen, albeit some temporarily) and really thrilled (for those who have stepped in and growing fast.....and it is not just Ines....it's all of them!) at the same time with what has happened to the team. In a way, they are lucky this has happened during lots of time between games....more teaching possible, early in the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it may have been an inbounds play in the closing minutes of the Princeton game that persuaded him to do a crash course for the kid - remember the one where Ines aggressively ran to the sideline to receive the ball and then drive to the basket? He cited that in his post-game comments after the game: that she did exactly what he wanted her to do.

Reaction Score
It's really surreal considering that she had both Nika and Azzi in front of her. What were the odds? Considering the almost Biblical bad luck on UCONN recently, maybe not as long as you would think. It will make her so much better in the long run. Being the point guard on UCONN? I think the effects will be more evident as the season progresses. she has to get used to a lot.

Reaction Score
It's really surreal considering that she had both Nika and Azzi in front of her. What were the odds? Considering the almost Biblical bad luck on UCONN recently, maybe not as long as you would think. It will make her so much better in the long run. Being the point guard on UCONN? I think the effects will be more evident as the season progresses. she has to get used to a lot.
Not only Nika and Azzi, but, to some extent Lou Lopez Senechal (though Lou is a shooting guard (but with
4 YEARS more experience playing as a guard), It increases my respect for Point Guards. ... and INES!

Reaction Score
From what I've been reading, Ines seems to be the spark some teams get when the going is rough.The unforseen spark that unites the team when it's needed most and pushes them beyond their selves . My all time favorite player in this context is Brianna Polido. She was the happiest and most vocal of the bench warmers that I had ever seen. When she made that basket in the final seconds of the NCAA championship, I busted out "YEAH" and I couldn't ever forget the smile on her face after she made the basket. She can now boast that she won a NC at Uconn and has the ring to prove it. That's what makes women's basketball so great, so many memories like that. Ines is in a unique position to help Uconn and make more memories. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Speaking of Nika (couldn't find explicit news about it before), she is on concussion protocol, so we don't know yet how long she will be out. She should be back before Azzi but they are going to be cautious, as always.....so more time than less.

Ines may have to start against FSU. Nika could be back for the next Big East games, Creighton most probably but could be for Seton Hall, too. So now, Coach knows Ines can have Nika's back while Azzi is still out.

As Dorka works back in, Ines will have to learn to work with her too. Talk about a crash course under pressure.

Reaction Score
From what I've been reading, Ines seems to be the spark some teams get when the going is rough.The unforseen spark that unites the team when it's needed most and pushes them beyond their selves . My all time favorite player in this context is Brianna Polido. She was the happiest and most vocal of the bench warmers that I had ever seen. When she made that basket in the final seconds of the NCAA championship, I busted out "YEAH" and I couldn't ever forget the smile on her face after she made the basket. She can now boast that she won a NC at Uconn and has the ring to prove it. That's what makes women's basketball so great, so many memories like that. Ines is in a unique position to help Uconn and make more memories. GO HUSKIES!!!
I will also never forget that moment. She was so happy, she hugged Geno and then ran back onto the court. Loved that kid.

Reaction Score
If you were reading a very cheap paperback novel about a young kid from an island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean would start as the point guard for a national championship WBB team you would probably toss the novel in the garbage as being completely unrealistic. However this is where we are. Is this the most bizarre twist you ever saw in the UConn program? I can't think of anything more bizarre. You go Inês!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If you were reading a very cheap paperback novel about a young kid from an island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean would start as the point guard for a national championship WBB team you would probably toss the novel in the garbage as being completely unrealistic. However this is where we are. Is this the most bizarre twist you ever saw in the UConn program? I can't think of anything more bizarre. You go Ines! (Forgot to put the little hat on the E.)
Yeah, it’s so corny you’d have to market it as fiction.

Reaction Score
Not only Nika and Azzi, but, to some extent Lou Lopez Senechal (though Lou is a shooting guard (but with
4 YEARS more experience playing as a guard), It increases my respect for Point Guards. ... and INES!
Couldn't reply in the other thread. You were right that she represented Portugal: FIBA 2022 U-18 European Championships Division B. However, her club team Sportiva/AzorisHotels also went to the FIBA EuroCup Women. I couldn't find any more detailed info on the latter's participation except what I originally read.....it is a senior team ranging in age from her 18 to someone at 31. So, you were right about the youth team being Portugal.

So, I retract my comment on several HS teams in the US beating them (someone misled me) - that team placed 2nd to Slovenia.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One other thing, although she was a member of the Sportiva/AzorisHotels club team, she didn't see much game time and virtually zero minutes in their EuroCup games. So, not much experience......

UConn must have found her via the U-18 European Championship Div B where she played very well.

(This must have been posted in the recruiting threads.....haven't looked at those this year)

462.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Couldn't reply in the other thread. You were right that she represented Portugal: FIBA 2022 U-18 European Championships Division B. However, her club team Sportiva/AzorisHotels also went to the FIBA EuroCup Women. I couldn't find any more detailed info on the latter's participation except what I originally read.....it is a senior team ranging in age from her 18 to someone at 31. So, you were right about the youth team being Portugal.

So, I retract my comment on several HS teams in the US beating them (someone misled me) - that team placed 2nd to Slovenia.

No Problem! I must be one of the leaders on the Boneyard of my fingers being too fast.
Nice to know that I am in good company. Go UCONN, Go BlueSkyGLW! Sincerely, Z

Reaction Score
INESANITY???

Oh dear. Someone has already coined this......

Ines, don't listen or read this stuff. Listen to your coaches, work with your teammates, keep learning and just play! When Nika and Azzi come back, your minutes will drop, so use what is given you now to learn, learn, learn and grow!

Rooting for you!

Reaction Score
For those Boneyarders who cannot get enough of Ines Bettencourt highlights consider:
"Women's basketball Huskies improve guard depth with Bettencourt," Daily Campus.com/2022/08/31
There is a highlight clip attached to this article that demonstrates the multifaceted skills of this young lady
You will see Ines during play in Europe = passing, shooting, driving, and runouts! ENJOY!!
Ms. Bettencourt's time with Sportiva / Azoris Hotels maybe similar to that of Juste Jocyte who
plays for a French women's team (LYONS?) but also for the youth national team of Lithuania. They played in Different FIBA
Divisions: "B" vs "A" but you get the idea. Both Ines and Juste are one of the youngest members of
their respective "club" teams (somewhat limited playing time and stats) but good preparation
for when they play for the age restricted National team rosters. Another example is Jana El Afry
playing in the FIBA African Championships for EGYPT while also on her home "club" team back
in Cairo. This can be very confusing at times. Enjoy the highlights of INES. I loved it!! Z

Reaction Score
I am glad that she has had the opportunity. The past events is exactly the reason she was brought here by the Coaching staff. She will only get better with more coaching and experience. I am glad that she is with UConn. Enough said.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For those Boneyarders who cannot get enough of Ines Bettencourt highlights consider:
"Women's basketball Huskies improve guard depth with Bettencourt," Daily Campus.com/2022/08/31
There is a highlight clip attached to this article that demonstrates the multifaceted skills of this young lady
You will see Ines during play in Europe = passing, shooting, driving, and runouts! ENJOY!!
Ms. Bettencourt's time with Sportiva / Azoris Hotels maybe similar to that of Juste Jocyte who
plays for a French women's team (LYONS?) but also for the youth national team of Lithuania. They played in Different FIBA
Divisions: "B" vs "A" but you get the idea. Both Ines and Juste are one of the youngest members of
their respective "club" teams (somewhat limited playing time and stats) but good preparation
for when they play for the age restricted National team rosters. Another example is Jana El Afry
playing in the FIBA African Championships for EGYPT while also on her home "club" team back
in Cairo. This can be very confusing at times. Enjoy the highlights of INES. I loved it!! Z

Reaction Score
UConn WBB blog podcast: Chasing Perfection Episode #84

Inesanity used as one-word descriptor of what happened with Ines the last two games.

The story changes a bit now as Nika is expected to return against FSU. But Coach will probably give Ines more minutes to spell NIka, I think, I think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom