The morning after | The Boneyard

The morning after

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm okay as I believe I'm starting to accept this is what we will see, can't lose sleep over it. Of course that attitude blows as a UConn fan as we know, actually almost unacceptable but it is what it is.

Thinking ahead this team, playing and performing as we've seen for 3 1/2 games now, will be lucky to "upset" either Cincy or SMU once of the four times. I've watched those teams and they are both better on both sides of the ball and on the sideline for now.

It will take a powerball like win at this point to see the dance, really sucks. REALLY sucks.

Reaction Score
I'm okay as I believe I'm starting to accept this is what we will see, can't lose sleep over it. Of course that attitude blows as a UConn fan as we know, actually almost unacceptable but it is what it is.

Thinking ahead this team, playing and performing as we've seen for 3 1/2 games now, will be lucky to "upset" either Cincy or SMU once of the four times. I've watched those teams and they are both better on both sides of the ball and on the sideline for now.

It will take a powerball like win at this point to see the dance, really sucks. REALLY sucks.
Worse Mau is that I see no confidence, enjoyment or concentration. Its like watching them play in the park.

I feel there is something going on internal that we don't know. They do not look like a cohesive group. Their is a leadership void. I would ask if they needed a players only meeting (which they desperately do) who would call it and who would run it?

Bazz may have not been respected in his sophomore year by his teammates, but he still said ' it I'm going to lead'. Its evident Jalen has that gene, but defers to his senior players. Perhaps Ollie should back Jalen, and say "go ahead and lead this team, I've got your back."

Reaction Score
This team so desperately needs a Kemba, Bazz or Boat to look to, to go to when times are tough and the tank is empty there isn't one. Alterique is on his way but we're going to need to wait. (I wouldn't throw that pressure on the kid just an exapggeration)

Instead Rodney settles f0r 3's, we don't have the skilled PG to allow Gibbs to sit on the wing and have his guy help so he gets open looks, besides Shonn we have no one to score from inside of 15 with any regularity, and DHam - no words can explain his sudden demise. I would feel bad for him but he's done zero to adjust, just continues to get the middle and then the "go-to" spin which everyone and their mother is now ready for, then bang some awful decision or a shot he can't make now. I mean have you ever seen a UConn team so puzzled looking with no answers?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

At this point acceptance, like the end of a cycle of grief, is something that must be faced. We aren't talking about tinkering with the problems this team is having. They pretty much run the full spectrum from players, coaching and systems. Added to this is the injury of Brimah. Very disappointing, but I'm not going to torture myself anymore with wishful thinking. As you said Mau, it is what it is. Real change on any team can only come from the coaching staff. What cannot be taught will have to be recruited. Leadership on the floor and off that moves others to the common goal of hustling, playing together, making adjustments etc. Watching that kid from Tulsa dive on the floor in the last few seconds with a big lead said volumes.

Reaction Score
This team so desperately needs a Kemba, Bazz or Boat to look to, to go to when times are tough and the tank is empty there isn't one. Alterique is on his way but we're going to need to wait. (I wouldn't throw that pressure on the kid just an exapggeration)

Instead Rodney settles f0r 3's, we don't have the skilled PG to allow Gibbs to sit on the wing and have his guy help so he gets open looks, besides Shonn we have no one to score from inside of 15 with any regularity, and DHam - no words can explain his sudden demise. I would feel bad for him but he's done zero to adjust, just continues to get the middle and then the "go-to" spin which everyone and their mother is now ready for, then bang some awful decision or a shot he can't make now. I mean have you ever seen a UConn team so puzzled looking with no answers?
This was a nationally televised game. My Virginia grad brother texted me saying he was watching UConn. Why?, because UConn is was always an exciting team to watch. Now think many high schoolers were watching the game last night (ouch!).

Just saying this is an impostor product we are putting on the floor. Even I started to check my phone for emails and stuff during the game. Something is wrong, very wrong because there ain't much to talk about when this team is playing. We couldn't even excite the announcers, who can be our best promoters. We are not that exciting to watch right now.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
If anyone should be the leader of this team game play wise and experience wise, its Gibbs. The emotional leader is clearly Amida.

Reaction Score
This was a nationally televised game. My Virginia grad brother texted me saying he was watching UConn. Why?, because UConn is was always an exciting team to watch. Now think many high schoolers were watching the game last night (ouch!).

Just saying this is an impostor product we are putting on the floor. Even I started to check my phone for emails and stuff during the game. Something is wrong, very wrong because there ain't much to talk about when this team is playing. We couldn't even excite the announcers, who can be our best promoters. We are not that exciting to watch right now.

The good news is a kid who likes UConn is watching he knows he can help if he has an offensive game.;)

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

SMU is good. Really good. They are quick, play like a team with a high basketball IQ. As of now, as we type, SMU will mop the floor with our Huskys. Just saying. Hopefully I am wrong.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Worse Mau is that I see no confidence, enjoyment or concentration. Its like watching them play in the park.

I feel there is something going on internal that we don't know. They do not look like a cohesive group. Their is a leadership void. I would ask if they needed a players only meeting (which they desperately do) who would call it and who would run it?

Bazz may have not been respected in his sophomore year by his teammates, but he still said ' it I'm going to lead'. Its evident Jalen has that gene, but defers to his senior players. Perhaps Ollie should back Jalen, and say "go ahead and lead this team, I've got your back."
Spot on about Adams.

Reaction Score
Lack of leadership, yes. Problem is Bazz and Boat's leadership came from being the best on the team and they proved they should have the ball in their hands at crunch time. Both hand handle could get their own shot and hand a cross over step back that was unstoppable at this level. No one can create their own shot with the small exception of Dham. Who is not a consistent shooter

Defensively no on ball hawk like Boat. No sneaky pock your pocket guy like Bazz. Right now no rim defender. Again for my stat guy. My eyes are better than your stats.
In sports not many leaders aren't one of your top players. For us it's been our point guard for decades.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They simply have no idea how to attack a zone. Once again a mediocre team holds them to around 50 without really doing anything but playing a decent (not great) zone. Ollie makes zero adjustments. None.
  • Rodney had a rare bad game, I'll give him some slack
  • Everyone else launched 3s stupidly all game. Nobody but Adams (twice) attacked the basket except on a rare transition basket.
  • Hamilton has to stop dribbling into the lane. I want him to get the ball in that spot, but he needs to have it passed to him (which is what happened last year when he was a zone buster). Dribbling to that spot allows them to collapse quickly meaning all we get is a 3 on a kickout.
  • Somebody has to at least try to post up besides Miller. Even Miller tends to get the ball too far from the rim.

Reaction Score
This team is what we see. They do not have any guard on their roster who who can penetrate and either dish or score. (Maybe Adams down the road but not now) Hamilton was effective getting inside when he had Amida. Now the other team just collapses on him and it leads to a bad shot or a turnover most of the time. If we had a big inside force that could score then maybe we could get by with our guards but we don't. We are strictly a 3 pt shooting team and last night Purvis couldn't buy a hoop. We will be better when Amida gets back but this is not a top ten team.

Reaction Score
You are right...Hamilton needs to assert himself in low block area at least occasionally. Miller is the only one who gets the ball in the post and that is too infrequent. When he does he either forces a shot or kicks it back out. No one cuts after a pass into the post on this team. They stand around as spectators making it easy for zone since the defenders hardly ever have to move. DH's drives into the lane are like most people are saying are often predictable and many times out of control. Neither Miller or Facey are available for a lob (the former is becoming Kevin Freeman - senior year and falling in love with shooting perimeter shots). Offense is disorganized, little adjustments are made. Guys who make repeated mistakes are allowed to continue to play and make more of the same mistakes (see DH and Purvis last night). We continue to allow other teams be more aggressive - evidence by being out shot at the foul line....this team is a hot mess right now and heading to a place were they have lost to much more inferior Houston teams the last two years.

Reaction Score
Lack of leadership, yes. Problem is Bazz and Boat's leadership came from being the best on the team and they proved they should have the ball in their hands at crunch time. Both hand handle could get their own shot and hand a cross over step back that was unstoppable at this level. No one can create their own shot with the small exception of Dham. Who is not a consistent shooter

Defensively no on ball hawk like Boat. No sneaky pock your pocket guy like Bazz. Right now no rim defender. Again for my stat guy. My eyes are better than your stats.
In sports not many leaders aren't one of your top players. For us it's been our point guard for decades.
Good point. This team rarely steals the ball from the other team. We don't have the guard play that UConn fans have been accustomed to over the years.

Reaction Score
If anyone should be the leader of this team game play wise and experience wise, its Gibbs. The emotional leader is clearly Amida.

I agree and disagree.

I love me some Gibbs and Miller....but I think they have tarnished any chance of a cohesive chemistry for this team. I can't remember a Uconn team ever bringing in graduate transfers with this much skill. I don't think it's going to end up working for the better of the team, them being leaders. I think grad transfers only work in a role playing status i.e. Lasan Kromah.

The LEADER of any Uconn team has to be a true 3 or 4 year blue blood Husky that has been with the team and knows the program and players top to bottom. It's unfortunate that the person who should be our leader at this point in time is Gibbs, and this is already the 3rd team he has played for. Hard to get behind a guy who jumps ship left and right. He just doesn't have the Uconn resume to award him with that special Husky respect and trust. It's one thing to be a veteran, it's another thing to be a UCONN veteran.

Reaction Score
There is no leader in this team.... I went with friends to the game yesterday. That was the worst game I have seen in my life, they drilled me on way back home. They where running around in slow motion and the zone for Tulsa wan't force to move around much.

My Girl Friend played college ball for California was like wow that is a terrible run team (her opinion), my other friend from Minnesota told me flat out not interested in seeing another UCONN men Basketball game this year (he just hate this team) and he is been seeing basketball with me for 9+ years. I was embarrass to take them to the game.

WE will be there next week to see the Girls Play :)....

Reaction Score
There is no leader in this team.... I went with friends to the game yesterday. That was the worst game I have seen in my life, they drilled me on way back home. They where running around in slow motion and the zone for Tulsa wan't force to move around much.

My Girl Friend played college ball for California was like wow that is a terrible run team (her opinion), my other friend from Minnesota told me flat out not interested in seeing another UCONN men Basketball game this year (he just hate this team) and he is been seeing basketball with me for 9+ years. I was embarrass to take them to the game.

WE will be there next week to see the Girls Play :)....

The girls game will be so much better.

Reaction Score
Coach Calhoun imposed his will on his teams, as did Bazz, Boat and Kemba. KO and his staff look disgruntled and are exceedingly poor game coaches. This team's problems are bigger than we don't have a point guard that can penetrate...or Brimah's injury. I realize this is just a restatement of the obvious. What the hell are they practicing? Get your together and play like it matters. This must be how Indiana fans felt.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
To the casual fan, Brimah is a good leader because of his emotion. But when you realize he has no idea how to play the game, his advice and guidance sometimes will be wrong. He's a far better cheerleader than actual leader.

I agree with @Kitaman Ollie needs to give Jalen the keys to the house - we will be 5x better down the road with Jalen going thru learning curves on play and his leadership now, then next season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky