the missing link | The Boneyard

the missing link

Reaction Score
The only thing IMHO we need is a center/shot blocked/rebounder to go all the way.If she gets 6-8 a game that is enough
as what we need is that person who can negate some of the penetration with blocks or shot selection. we need our freshmen to
contribute.

Reaction Score
The only thing IMHO we need is a center/shot blocked/rebounder to go all the way.If she gets 6-8 a game that is enough
as what we need is that person who can negate some of the penetration with blocks or shot selection. we need our freshmen to
contribute.

that and good team health and a whole lot of luck............

Reaction Score
Well, we don't have a center.

Geno will work on improving the team defense.

We shall see.

Reaction Score
Olivia missed significant time in high school with a horrific knee fracture and ligament damage. She's not all the way back yet, but I remain confident that the weight room, UConn's unequaled coaching, and TIME will result in the shot-blocking, paint-intimidating defender we desperately need. Olivia has the potential to be really really good, perhaps great.
A healthier, stronger, more experienced Olivia N-O will also free up Megan, Lou and Phee to do less work on the boards (which keeps them around the paint, rebounding) and allow them to get out on the break more (and not get beaten up/fatigued so much working inside against way bigger opponents.)

Lou, Meg and Crystal are going to be dynamite, as expected. CW has already shown a lot and will get even better. The success of this season, to me, depends mostly on how Olivia progresses. If she gets stronger, tougher and more aggressive, I believe this can become yet another championship season.

Reaction Score
Good Post!
The answer is Camara. She's big, strong, fast, quick off her feet and she has experience (even if not playing for UConn). A great team does not need 5 scorers on the floor. We need a body to set screens, post up both high and low, rebound, and be a presence in the middle to stop penetration. Layups only. Does not matter if defenses sag off her, the others can still work off of her big body to get shots. I played Division 3 and we always had a player like that. (partly because D3 centers are pretty suspect but my point still applies, I think)
Our team is too much finesse. Remember ND punched us in the nose and so did Miss St. Also, we've got tough players not playing tough- namely Megan and Christyn.
My Celtics are going through the same thing. Began starting Baynes in the middle. Looked more physical last night.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Just curious...when was the last time that we had a true center...Steph? (I am not including Natalie because she didn't get enough court time, imo.) I think we have had a couple of pretty good seasons since Steph graduated.
So I guess my point is that Geno and CD can coach the players they have and it turns out pretty well.

Reaction Score
Good Post!
The answer is Camara. She's big, strong, fast, quick off her feet and she has experience (even if not playing for UConn). A great team does not need 5 scorers on the floor. We need a body to set screens, post up both high and low, rebound, and be a presence in the middle to stop penetration. Layups only. Does not matter if defenses sag off her, the others can still work off of her big body to get shots. I played Division 3 and we always had a player like that. (partly because D3 centers are pretty suspect but my point still applies, I think)
Our team is too much finesse. Remember ND punched us in the nose and so did Miss St. Also, we've got tough players not playing tough- namely Megan and Christyn.
My Celtics are going through the same thing. Began starting Baynes in the middle. Looked more physical last night.

Camara gives Brown or Shepherd someone to guard. Otherwise, who do they guard?! Will that force ND and Baylor to play zone? If so, I like our chances.

Reaction Score
Just curious...when was the last time that we had a true center...Steph? (I am not including Natalie because she didn't get enough court time, imo.) I think we have had a couple of pretty good seasons since Steph graduated.
So I guess my point is that Geno and CD can coach the players they have and it turns out pretty well.

Reaction Score
contribute.
As a member of YOUR choir I say:
Some of us have been preaching this sermon since Stewie departed. Last year a bit less with Gabby and Azura. Now with only Olivia NO the need is going to be evident in every game Uconn plays. If healthy and mobile, Camara could be useful but she only 6'2" yet her wide body and physical strength could (COULD) make up for some of Uconn's sins.

Reaction Score
I have about 10 different opinions about why Geno does not have an effective Big filling a void he and many on the BY knew was going to bite him on the posterior at some point.
It's early in the season and the team is trying to gel and many of the current ills will be solved in time. The one ill that won't be solved this season even with time is the need for a true effective defensive-minded post/big.

The simple and true answer is: For various known and unknown reasons those players that fit that model either Geno and staff didn't want them or they didn't what Uconn.

How do you fix that? Kiss their outstretched --hands? Promise them anything but give the Arpege? Follow the usual pattern and take what comes. That appears to be the current mode for Uconn.
Whose fault? Geno's fault, Shea's, Christine, Marisa, the new(retread) kid, mine, or the Boneyard in general or the kids that won't come. Pick one because blame must be assigned
I pick the kids that won't come to Uconn because it saves ME from blame.

Reaction Score
Geno said of Kiah Stokes defense: Yea, that's what she does. With the firepower of the current 5 and a Kiah Stoke guarding the boards, taking that occasional layup an 3--I drool at the prospect as much of a fantasy that it is. Kiah was one some thought NOT a true center/post. I 'd give all $35.23 in my bank account to have another Kiah.

Reaction Score
A center, and health ,and luck, and the Beatles!

You sound like all of my daughters when they were teens--L-O=V+E is the fix for all that ale's (ails) this world. You are one very funny dude, dude.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom