The Men Head to Campus, The Women Hang Back | The Boneyard

The Men Head to Campus, The Women Hang Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

The men’s basketball players were allowed to return to campus beginning Friday, with voluntary workouts under the state’s health and safety protocols to begin shortly. The school is planning to use the athletes in a pilot program, to test plans for when the full student body is expected to return to campus in mid-August.

“The re-entry plan for men’s basketball and football was submitted to the state’s Higher Education Committee as a pilot program,” the university explained in a release, “which would allow the University to solidify policies and procedures prior to the general student body’s return in mid-August.”

Members of the football team will return on July 1, the date coach Randy Edsall had hoped would be possible in order for the team to be ready to play its season opener on schedule Sept. 3. The women’s basketball team has chosen to return to campus at a later date this summer.

Returning athletes will be allowed access to strength and conditioning areas and other athletics facilities without the supervision of coaches. The strength and conditioning staff may observe and/or conduct voluntary workouts.

Before taking part in voluntary workouts, the athletes must test negative for COVID-19, and enter a modified form of quarantine with small groups. Then they will have to pass a physical exam with UConn’s medical staff. Athletes and staff will undergo daily screening, including temperature checks, before entering facilities, which will be frequently cleaned and sanitized."

Reaction Score
Over 20 positive cases for Clemson football. Phillies cancel spring training due to five positive cases. Cases spiking in multiple states. And it's every state/school/conference for itself as regards setting rules.

I'd like to think that there will be college/pro sports in the fall, but the facts would seem to be trending against that.

Reaction Score
Over 20 positive cases for Clemson football. Phillies cancel spring training due to five positive cases. Cases spiking in multiple states. And it's every state/school/conference for itself as regards setting rules.

I'd like to think that there will be college/pro sports in the fall, but the facts would seem to be trending against that.
As sad as it may be I am in complete agreement with you Ky Card. Does anyone really want to watch any game in any sport where there are no fans? And is it really worth it to put any young man or woman's health in jeopardy? I don't think there is enough television money to gamble on that.

Reaction Score
As sad as it may be I am in complete agreement with you Ky Card. Does anyone really want to watch any game in any sport where there are no fans? And is it really worth it to put any young man or woman's health in jeopardy? I don't think there is enough television money to gamble on that.

I think that the NCAA and the rest of the college athletic industry would disagree. ;)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
On the pro golf tour, golfer Nick Watney just tested positive. Their policy requires his isolation for at least 10 days. They are also doing contact tracing, of course, and he was on the course playing the day before and in contact with other players.

It does not appear, however, that they are automatically requiring isolation of his contacts, such as the group he played with the day before. They will be tested, of course.

That seems to me to be the key issue, i.e., what do you do about the contacts. It seems almost inevitable that someone on a sports team will test positive for Covid-19, even if they are not showing symptoms (although Watney apparently was showing symptoms). For a WBB team of 10 players, one or two positive tests could be extremely problematical, but they could probably muddle through. On the other hand, if the policy was more conservative with respect to contacts - presumably everyone else associated with the team - requiring isolation, then you are done. For a couple of weeks, at least, but how on earth does that play out in any semi-workable way.

That is also, of course, a broader issue relating to the opening of colleges and universities and not merely sports teams. I suspect that different states, administrations, and governing bodies will draw different lines in that regard.

BTW, the gyms in Connecticut reopened on June 17. The gym I go to is requiring temperature checks at the front desk, not sure if that is a gym policy or a State requirement. In any event, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the forehead scan takes all of two-three seconds. Presumably that will be required when fans are allowed into sporting events, but it likely won`t add much additional time to what is already required for body and bag searches. I`m sure there will be a number of "but I feel fine" (losing) arguments at the gates!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What if it's hot outside? Does everyone suddenly start testing positive for Corona on those temperature scanners?

Reaction Score
On the pro golf tour, golfer Nick Watney just tested positive. Their policy requires his isolation for at least 10 days. They are also doing contact tracing, of course, and he was on the course playing the day before and in contact with other players.

It does not appear, however, that they are automatically requiring isolation of his contacts, such as the group he played with the day before. They will be tested, of course.

That seems to me to be the key issue, i.e., what do you do about the contacts. It seems almost inevitable that someone on a sports team will test positive for Covid-19, even if they are not showing symptoms (although Watney apparently was showing symptoms). For a WBB team of 10 players, one or two positive tests could be extremely problematical, but they could probably muddle through. On the other hand, if the policy was more conservative with respect to contacts - presumably everyone else associated with the team - requiring isolation, then you are done. For a couple of weeks, at least, but how on earth does that play out in any semi-workable way.

That is also, of course, a broader issue relating to the opening of colleges and universities and not merely sports teams. I suspect that different states, administrations, and governing bodies will draw different lines in that regard.

BTW, the gyms in Connecticut reopened on June 17. The gym I go to is requiring temperature checks at the front desk, not sure if that is a gym policy or a State requirement. In any event, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the forehead scan takes all of two-three seconds. Presumably that will be required when fans are allowed into sporting events, but it likely won`t add much additional time to what is already required for body and bag searches. I`m sure there will be a number of "but I feel fine" arguments at the gates!
Yeah Clemson reported yesterday they have 23 football players testing positive. The day before Texas reported 13. OK tell me how this is gonna work. Is forcing a football season really the right way to manage this?

[ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What if it's hot outside? Does everyone suddenly start testing positive for Corona on those temperature scanners?

Actually, I never get above 97 degrees on their forehead thermometer at my physical therapist. Guessing my "fat cells" are screwing up the readings :oops::oops:

Reaction Score

Ironically, the spread has almost completely stopped in the Northeastern states that were hammered in April - NY, NJ, CT, MA, etc. and is now spreading in the states where they want to have pro sports "bubbles". Expert predictions on how the virus would play out have been mostly wrong every step of the way...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yeah Clemson reported yesterday they have 23 football players testing positive. The day before Texas reported 13. OK tell me how this is gonna work. Is forcing a football season really the right way to manage this?

[ ]
There has been some discussion about moving college football to the spring. Obviously, that creates a lot of logistics issues, but the thought is that the season could begin after the flu season ends and perhaps a vaccine might just be available by that time.

Reaction Score
Today it's LSU and Kansas State football. MLB closes all spring training facilities in FL and AZ. New cases exceed 30,000 for two days in a row, for first time since April 25. NFL cancels all player workouts.

I'm a Kentucky gambler who is taking the "ain't gonna happen" side on fall/winter college sports and on NFL games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ironically, the spread has almost completely stopped in the Northeastern states that were hammered in April - NY, NJ, CT, MA, etc. and is now spreading in the states where they want to have pro sports "bubbles". Expert predictions on how the virus would play out have been mostly wrong every step of the way...
Today it was announced that all MLB training camps in Arizona & FL will be shut down as a number of teams have experienced a flare up of COVID-19 cases. At the same time, Gov Cuomo announced today that the Yankees and Mets would move spring training to their respective stadiums in the Bronx & Queens respectively. 3 months ago who would have believed that NYC would be considered safer than AZ & FL?

Reaction Score

BTW, the gyms in Connecticut reopened on June 17. The gym I go to is requiring temperature checks at the front desk, not sure if that is a gym policy or a State requirement. In any event, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the forehead scan takes all of two-three seconds. Presumably that will be required when fans are allowed into sporting events, but it likely won`t add much additional time to what is already required for body and bag searches. I`m sure there will be a number of "but I feel fine" (losing) arguments at the gates!
Temperature checks are close to worthless with this virus. It’s just a way for the Gym owners to justify opening. The weather is great; go to the park instead.

Reaction Score
Temperature checks are close to worthless with this virus. It’s just a way for the Gym owners to justify opening. The weather is great; go to the park instead.

Wrong. Not surefire, but certainly not "close to worthless"

"The signs and symptoms of COVID-19 present at illness onset vary, but over the course of the disease, most persons with COVID-19 will experience the following:
Fever (83–99%) ..."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There has been some discussion about moving college football to the spring. Obviously, that creates a lot of logistics issues, but the thought is that the season could begin after the flu season ends and perhaps a vaccine might just be available by that time.

Flag football (with super long flags)

Reaction Score
The number I'm hearing is 5% for acceptable virus spread. I dont think anyone expected that no one would test positive for pro/college teams. But, if they can keep the spread to 5% or less, I think you can still play the games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The number I'm hearing is 5% for acceptable virus spread. I dont think anyone expected that no one would test positive for pro/college teams. But, if they can keep the spread to 5% or less, I think you can still play the games.
What happens if that 5% is your starting backfield?

Reaction Score

Is it OK if your son/daughter/grandson/granddaughter is in that 5%? Mine won't be.

Reaction Score
I have two daughters and I am not too worried about them because of their age and general health.
They might get sick, but the odds, very strongly, say it won't be bad. They do stay distant from their parents. The following is from the CDC. The numbers, of course, have to be normalized by the number of infections in each age group, but even with that, those under 49 do well and those of college age have almost no risk ( think flu).

1592711654120.png

Reaction Score
Wrong. Not surefire, but certainly not "close to worthless"

"The signs and symptoms of COVID-19 present at illness onset vary, but over the course of the disease, most persons with COVID-19 will experience the following:
Fever (83–99%) ..."
There are about one thousand reasons why someone has a fever. A great majority of positive test results come without symptoms. I stand by my statement. Instead of temperature checks, they should be testing; if that is impossible, then they shouldn’t be open for business. The U.S. is currently diagnosing more daily cases than at any time since the Pandemic began. Discretion is always better than valor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have two daughters and I am not too worried about them because of their age and general health.
They might get sick, but the odds, very strongly, say it won't be bad. They do stay distant from their parents. The following is from the CDC. The numbers, of course, have to be normalized by the number of infections in each age group, but even with that, those under 49 do well and those of college age have almost no risk ( think flu).

View attachment 55597
The belief that you can keep young people in a bubble on college campuses is absurd. Unfortunately, too many young people do feel invincible when it comes to this virus and they often participate in risky social behavior contrary to CDC guidelines. If it were just young people taking personal risks that would be one thing. But college kids will undoubtedly interact with the greater community at large, older faculty, cafeteria staff, campus maintenance personnel and even 66 year old women’s basketball coaches, and there in lies the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom