The Maryland PSU fallout... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Maryland PSU fallout...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
:D
I suggested the name tag thing a while back. I would have absolutely no reservations about meeting people in person. I take very little personally or seriously here. I even think Nelson and I would get along once we took down the barrier of anonymity the keyboard allows. I've met a few BY'ers and haven't had any problems (notwithstanding the dislike that sportsart has taken to me). The tone I take here online is the same thing you're gonna get in person. A lot of non verbal good natured ball breaking gets lost here, which is why I think a lot of people get put off with certain posters.

Agreed wholeheartedly - Well stated.

Especially this - A lot of non verbal good natured ball breaking gets lost here, which is why I think a lot of people get put off with certain posters - tone and intent can be easily lost on a message board!!

I still want to know if Palatine looks anything like Tim Boyle though!!

Reaction Score
:D

Agreed wholeheartedly - Well stated.

Especially this - A lot of non verbal good natured ball breaking gets lost here, which is why I think a lot of people get put off with certain posters - tone and intent can be easily lost on a message board!!

I still want to know if Palatine looks anything like Tim Boyle though!!

Actually Palatine put a picture of himself in his avatar recently. In one of the all time shockers there is apparently a Mrs. Palatine who was included in the photo. At least he CLAIMED that was Mrs. Palatine.

Reaction Score
Odd the Big Ten isn't around to reprimand Franklin when he declares Maryland his territory.

Granted that Franklin is probably a better coach than Edsall - but I like Randy and Franklin rubs me the wromg way... I don't blame Maryland for being salty for that game.

What's wrong with claiming Maryland as his territory? Nothing wrong with that at all in my view. Franklin can coach circles around Edsall, he probably wonders why Randy is still in charge.

Reaction Score
The sun coming up in the morning reinforces your opinion on Edsall. Just sayin.

He was an apologist just like you. If Randy took a dump on your desk at work, you would find a way to justify it.

Reaction Score
He was an apologist just like you. If Randy took a dump on your desk at work, you would find a way to justify it.

I do admire your spunk Wiscy. Most people who were willing to swear that P would do better at UConn than Edsall at Maryland would feel the need to approach the subject gingerly these days.

Reaction Score
Lol at UMD. Congrats to them on their epic win over a scholarship depleted PSU Squad. I guess that 2-35-1 looks a lot better to them than 1-36-1 regardless of the reason why they got the W.

The comedy of it all is that Edsall thinks that one win will be the catalyst for both a great rivalry bring formed and a reversal of each team's fortunes. The truth is that PSU has owned Md Recruiting for decades, and with Franklin in charge that is unlikely to change.

The only thing their classless spectacle has guaranteed them is that by about 2016 Franklin will be hanging half a hundred on them every chance he gets. Silly Terps.

Reaction Score
upstater said:
Oh, sorry to hurt your feelings. It's hypocritical for Franklin to tell boosters he's going to take over the recruiting of Maryland. Becaus eEdsall never boasted about his PA roots when he took the Maryland job. This stuff is beyond silly. And yeah, by the way, PSU is going to dominate recruiting in Maryland.
Would two just kiss and get this whole middle school footsie game over with?

Reaction Score
And yeah, by the way, PSU is going to dominate recruiting in Maryland.
For now but once Diaco & Co get the ball rolling and the Rent gets a face lift I'll bet Uconn will have a very good share of troops hailing from the land of crabs.

Reaction Score
I do admire your spunk Wiscy. Most people who were willing to swear that P would do better at UConn than Edsall at Maryland would feel the need to approach the subject gingerly these days.

Am I wrong though? A bowl of cereal could have done a better job than P. But Edsall was just competent, and it never went beyond that. Some of us wanted a coach that was a bit more than competent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Am I wrong though? A bowl of cereal could have done a better job than P. But Edsall was just competent, and it never went beyond that. Some of us wanted a coach that was a bit more than competent.

You are wrong. Epically, spectacularly wrong. As wrong as wrong can be.

Reaction Score

Wrong that Businesslawyer would defend Randy for defeating on his desk? Or wrong about Bland Randy being just competent?

The guy has and will continue to be the living definition of unexceptional. I mean, the guy can't even figure out how to stir up a rivalry in the right way.

"Okay Captains, remember, after the coin flip don't shake the Penn State guys hands, we need a rivalry because their coach is the guy who should have my job right now, and he is already recruiting circles around me in Maryland".

Reaction Score
Edsall is Glenn Mason or Al Groh. Decent coaches. Can get you anywhere from 7-5, to 9-3. You'll go to second tier bowls. Most schools eventually decide that paying almost two million a year for essentially NIT bids, can't be the apex of what your program is. Despite long runs both Groh, and Mason were let go. Both schools didn't immediately hire a better coach. It happens, Minnesota hired then Fired Tim Brewster and UVA will likely fire London.

Edsall could have been at UConn forever with those records. At UMD, he is approaching hot seat status. Fair or not, he did replace a coach coming off a 9 win season.

Reaction Score
Edsall is Glenn Mason or Al Groh. Decent coaches. Can get you anywhere from 7-5, to 9-3. You'll go to second tier bowls. Most schools eventually decide that paying almost two million a year for essentially NIT bids, can't be the apex of what your program is. Despite long runs both Groh, and Mason were let go. Both schools didn't immediately hire a better coach. It happens, Minnesota hired then Fired Tim Brewster and UVA will likely fire London.

Edsall could have been at UConn forever with those records. At UMD, he is approaching hot seat status. Fair or not, he did replace a coach coming off a 9 win season.

Good point. All those guys including Randy, are solidly in the second tier, of the second tier. But hey, he got to a bowl game last year and got whipped by Marshall, Maryland has to really love that kind of progress.

Reaction Score
Good point. All those guys including Randy, are solidly in the second tier, of the second tier. But hey, he got to a bowl game last year and got whipped by Marshall, Maryland has to really love that kind of progress.

After the last 3 plus years here, this is a topic you should probably leave alone. History is already on our side.

Reaction Score
It will probablly never cease to amaze me how there are many here who think it was an ordinary accomplishment for Edsall to take UConn from where it was when he came to where it was when he left. And then thought there was no reason to think it wouldn't get better over time.

I hope you are right and every coach we hire from here on in has little trouble accomplishing at UConn what Edsall did. But the slight history we have to date argues against that (although, as I said, I hope I'm wrong and every coach we get takes us to levels that makes me change my mind).

Reaction Score
Edsall didnt want it to get better here over time. Interviewing at GA Tech after 2007, was the first clue, he seemingly had interest in every opening. He left in clandestine like fashion following the Fiesta Bowl, does none of that matter, it was never going to keep improving because he always had one foot out the door.

Reaction Score
It will probablly never cease to amaze me how there are many here who think it was an ordinary accomplishment for Edsall to take UConn from where it was when he came to where it was when he left. And then thought there was no reason to think it wouldn't get better over time.

I hope you are right and every coach we hire from here on in has little trouble accomplishing at UConn what Edsall did. But the slight history we have to date argues against that (although, as I said, I hope I'm wrong and every coach we get takes us to levels that makes me change my mind).

You forgot trailers.

Reaction Score
Edsall didnt want it to get better here over time. Interviewing at GA Tech after 2007, was the first clue, he seemingly had interest in every opening. He left in clandestine like fashion following the Fiesta Bowl, does none of that matter, it was never going to keep improving because he always had one foot out the door.

Another amazing statement. So no employee anywhere who would take a better job if offered, or look for a better one, has given a full effort for his employer while there.

DO ANY OF YOU CONSIDER HOW DUMB YOUR STATEMENTS WOULD SOUND IF YOU WERE MAKING THEM IN ANY CONTEXT OTHER THAN ABOUT FHCRE?

Reaction Score
After the last 3 plus years here, this is a topic you should probably leave alone. History is already on our side.

Yes. He was a competent coach compared to the dumpster fire that came after, that proves nada.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't know what Edsall's ceiling at UConn was, or what it is at Maryland. There was a downward trend in his last few years and it has been reported that RE was frustrated with the process to get recruits cleared academically. This was at the same time that the APR thing was going down and, if stories in the papers are to be believed, the whole athletic department was dysfunctional and people (like... head coaches and administrators) weren't talking to each other under Hathaway's leadership - or lack thereof. There is an argument to be made that RE might have been able to improve on his accomplishments of program building of the early 2000s, and he'd be less likely to leave, if Hathaway had been showed the door, or not even hired to be Sweet Lew's replacement. We won't know the answer to that question, though we can judge his record at Maryland instead.

Reaction Score

LOL.

Beat Army!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

On a day like today hard to bash Edsall.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wrong that Businesslawyer would defend Randy for defeating on his desk? Or wrong about Bland Randy being just competent?

The guy has and will continue to be the living definition of unexceptional. I mean, the guy can't even figure out how to stir up a rivalry in the right way.

"Okay Captains, remember, after the coin flip don't shake the Penn State guys hands, we need a rivalry because their coach is the guy who should have my job right now, and he is already recruiting circles around me in Maryland".

Wrong that we didn't sweat blowing out Army when Edsall was coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom