The Maryland Game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Maryland Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
In honor of what we all hope and pray would be Win #87 in a row, I think UConn will win 87-78. There will be some days of Christmas and Hanukah left, and a win here would be Geno's gift to his true love: his fan base.

Be confident: between Lou 'n Phee, we WILL beat UMD. Natalie will battle the opponents in the post and make the Terps toast. Gabby will be Fabby once again. Crystal will unload her pistol, and of treys, she'll hit a fistful...even if of the old Big Three we'll remain wistful.

we'll be in and a land of stately heaven when the huskies will themselves to 87.

Go UConn !!!

Reaction Score
I'm a native Nutmegger living in Maryland; I've seen quite a bit of both teams.

This year is the third in the past nine years that UMD has had the best recruiting class (I think according to Hoopgurlz). They haven't done an awful lot with that talent. I have always loved Shatori, and Brionna is very talented. And the broadcasts always show Brenda Frese giving these inspirational, impassioned pep talks, but their whole system just comes up short next to UConn's.

"A wee bit nervous" maybe, but nothing compared to the Baylor or Notre Dame games.

I think you are way off if you think Maryland has had the best recruiting class in 3 of the past 9 years. As far as I'm aware Maryland has had the best recruiting class only in 2016, unless you can show me differently. As a matter of fact, Maryland isn't even in the top ten recruiting classes during that period.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Turtlespeed --

I did hear that on an ESPN broadcast during the playoffs last year. The announcer may have misspoken. I can only find back to 2012, and as you said, UMD is only #1 this year, however, they have been in the top ten two more times.

2016 Women's Basketball Class Rankings

So we're both wrong.

Reaction Score
In every team sport, there exists only one, true Holy Grail, and that, of course, is each season’s National Championship. Consecutive game win streaks are nice, and almost unbelievable insofar as the lofty numbers UConn repeatedly establishes are concerned. Likewise for undefeated regular seasons, however beyond all reasonable preseason expectations it is that such an accomplishment now seems within possible reach of our favorite team in this of all years. Still, at the “end of the day,” only one goal carries ultimate meaning.

Put in that context, and given the fact that The Huskies have already proved themselves to be a worthy Final Four candidate for this season, the upcoming game against The Terps is not freighted with all that much meaning, unless UConn gets blown out, which just ain’t gonna happen. Nevertheless, all of us are looking forward to it quite eagerly, for obvious reasons. In my opinion, this game challenges Geno with the single toughest matchup conundrum of the season to date: how, given lack of dominant size, and given the relative shortness of the bench, to defense Brionna Jones, the one player who really gave them fits last year.

Gabby Williams, I think we all would agree, must stay out of serious foul trouble. Do my fellow posters think that on that basis Geno starts Natalie in this game, letting her play Jones as physically as possible, even at the potential cost of fouling out herself? I, obviously, am not Geno, but I think I would. What would you do?
I don't think he would start Natalie. Geno must have seen in the Nebraska game that Natalie is an offensive liability. The one thing he doesn't want is for UCONN to fall way behind, early. If we have a 10 point lead, he'll bring Natalie in ( until the lead is fully eroded). Uconn can win this game, even with the thin bench. But we cannot keep demanding 40 minutes out of Gabby, Lou, Naphessa and Kia. Crystal has to get better, fast. And Soniya has to step up. I don't see any help yet from Molly or Irwin.

Reaction Score
Turtlespeed --

I did hear that on an ESPN broadcast during the playoffs last year. The announcer may have misspoken. I can only find back to 2012, and as you said, UMD is only #1 this year, however, they have been in the top ten two more times.

2016 Women's Basketball Class Rankings

So we're both wrong.

No, either you misinterpreted or I didn't say it correctly. I did not mean that they were not in the top 10 in any other year. What I meant was that on average over that period you mentioned, Maryland would not have even been in the top 10 classes on average over that period. So I was not wrong about that.

I did go back in Hoopsgurlz for the 9 years you mentioned and I'm pretty sure that Maryland was not ranked with a # 1 recruiting class except for the 2016 year.

Reaction Score

I totally agree with you. I have never understood how the number of recruits has so much weight in measuring the ranking of the recruiting classes. I would have ranked schools with more top 10 or top 20 recruits higher than some with just more numbers.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My concern is with the outside play of Maryland. We don't have a Montgomery that can completely shut down a hot guard. UConn guards likely to be spending time doubling near basket. While virtually every UConn player can guard a 1 though 4, Crystal and Chong a step slower than what UM saw in past years.
I think you're forgetting Kia, who is one of the best, if not the best, defenders on the team.

Reaction Score
Maryland's easy out of conference schedule may come back to haunt them as this year's team has yet to experience anything near what UConn has to offer...
I'll keep my trap shut in the future about their wimpy schedule if Brenda pulls this one off......

The easy OOC conference schedule (and weak conference) helps Maryland. When you have only 6 challenging games during the regular season it is to prepare and rest for the big games. They have about a week to get ready for UConn.....not including the last 12 months since the last game.

They have men to practice against too. If they can figure out the defensive rotations etc.

Reaction Score
In addition to Kia, unless MD plays 2 true bigs (Jones + 1), the Huskies can have Lou guard a forward & put Gabby on Walker-Kimbrough. Gabby can guard just about anyone.
+1
And Natalie is key. Can she give 18 quality minutes against Jones?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The game Thursday is scheduled to be shown on ESPN2 in St. Louis. However the time shown is 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., Central Daylight time. No college game will last just one hour. Does anyone have a different time showing on your provider showing the full time schedule?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The game Thursday is scheduled to be shown on ESPN2 in St. Louis. However the time shown is 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., Central Daylight time. No college game will last just one hour. Does anyone have a different time showing on your provider showing the full time schedule?
I've got 6 pm EDT so I'd assume it's 5 pm CDT.

Reaction Score
I believe UCONN wins the game but if Gray and Davis are hitting their shots and Coates and Wilson are able to get post touches, then I think SC could make it interesting. One way to beat UCONN is attack them defensively and drive to the whole. No one on your team is a tremendous shot blocker and that's how Lindsay Allen and Alexis Jones got a good bit of their points because they drove to the lane looking for contact. And defensively you must take away their three weapons KLS, Williams, and Collier. I know it's easier said then done but none of them can really create for themselves. They score off screens, backdoors, and curls and the key to defending that is pressuring the player who has the ball giving the pass. You must give them hell until your player can adjust defensively. Also make players like Chong, Nurse, and Butler (who aren't accustomed to taking majority of the shots) make plays. No team this year has been able to do this so I doubt it happens but that's definitely one way to slow them down.

I know quite a few folks already replied but the one thing to remember is that UCONN basketball is not about creating your own shot. That is what Notre Dame, which is much better offensive team than SC, tried to do and was their down fall. What's a higher percentage shot? Creating your own or the ball flowing to an open shooter/slasher? SC has the players to win, but so does UCONN which is a more consistent team that will be on their home floor.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Maryland imo has played a not so tuff schedule so far this season because they are dependent on a few freshman. They also want to be a number 1 seed in the NCAAs so thus a OOC schedule that isnt as tuff as UConns because MD has a tuffer in conference schedule then UConn. That could be a liability in a game against UConns defense. The game is a MD which could work for MD but UConn is UConn. Heck many thought UConn wouldve lost a couple of games by now and now many are thinking UConn will loose the MD game. Not me. Hey the might but if theyre healthy and out of foul trouble they will win. The inexperience of the freshman and UConns defense which will put so much pressure on the frosh that will make it difficult for MD to make good crisp passes. I like UConn by double digits.

Reaction Score
I understand that lol I was just saying Coates is better then most Centers guarding the perimeter but she by any means can't keep up with Williams. That's really why I said Herbert Harrigan could log some valuable minuets guarding Williams and Collier. I've watched all of UCONN games against every ranked opponent this year and what I meant by Williams, Collier and KLS not being able to create their own shot was the fact that they play without the ball. They use backdoors, down screens, curls, and v cuts. Even though Williams is a guard/wing she doesn't have significant ball handling skills but she is very capable of driving to the whole. In fact the only players who I think could really handle the ball for you guys is Crystal Dangerfield. I've been around Basketball for 30 years as a spectator, player, and coach to know good ball handling when I see it. Once Nurse, Chong, and KLS recieve the ball at the top of the Key I would apply extreme pressure on them to make turnovers. In the Fl St, Baylor, and ND games I have seen KLS try to dribble and create her own shot but couldn't because her ball handling skills haven't developed yet. Force their guards who make the passes to KLS, Collier, and Williams into TOs and that will pay huge dividends in the game.

Gotta disagree. Watch ND game and along with Muffet's postgame comments, because Lou took the ball to the rack when the defender tried to come up hard to defend the shot. People think because she is not as athletic as some of the other players she can not create, and remember that she is usually at least a few inches taller than her defender. While she is not a PG with the ball she is usually very good not turning it over. If NC is anywhere in the paint she can score one-on-one, I believe on just about anyone. That fade away is $$$ : - )

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I've got 6 pm EDT so I'd assume it's 5 pm CDT.
Thanks for responding. However, I want to know if your schedule shows the game will be televised for only one hour. My schedule shows coverage lasts for only one hour.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thanks for responding. However, I want to know if your schedule shows the game will be televised for only one hour. My schedule shows coverage lasts for only one hour.

ESPN's posted television schedule (ESPN TV Listings - ESPN) shows the usual two-hour time window for the game:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 10.21.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 10.21.34 PM.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 20
Reaction Score
No, either you misinterpreted or I didn't say it correctly. I did not mean that they were not in the top 10 in any other year. What I meant was that on average over that period you mentioned, Maryland would not have even been in the top 10 classes on average over that period. So I was not wrong about that.

I did go back in Hoopsgurlz for the 9 years you mentioned and I'm pretty sure that Maryland was not ranked with a # 1 recruiting class except for the 2016 year.
Looking back at history, Maryland had the #2 class in 2007, #2 in 2010 (the Alyssa Thomas class) but only the 2016 was #1.

Reaction Score
I went back and found the article in the Harford Courant dated Dec 29, 2015 regarding the UConn/MD game at MSG. The article states that UCONN had early turnovers (self inflicted turnovers) in the first half and had one in the second half. I was at the game and thought WOW they are making a lot of silly mistakes. The outcome of the game may have been a higher scoring game for UCONN without the turnovers. I found the comments interesting regarding Gabby, Pheese, Lou and Kia regarding their play. If you care to read them (I can't attach the link) go down about 26 comments to will.fox1 and go from there. The poster makes a comment about Gabby being to undersized for MD's bigs, Pheese being lost and KLS is still struggling. LOL, wonder what he thinks now! All I can say is that these 4 starters have come a long way from that game last December. This should make for a great game and I wish I could get down to Maryland but I will have to watch from the comfort of my recliner this year! UCONN wins by 20!:cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I went back and found the article in the Harford Courant dated Dec 29, 2015 regarding the UConn/MD game at MSG. The article states that UCONN had early turnovers (self inflicted turnovers) in the first half and had one in the second half. I was at the game and thought WOW they are making a lot of silly mistakes. The outcome of the game may have been a higher scoring game for UCONN without the turnovers. I found the comments interesting regarding Gabby, Pheese, Lou and Kia regarding their play. If you care to read them (I can't attach the link) go down about 26 comments to will.fox1 and go from there. The poster makes a comment about Gabby being to undersized for MD's bigs, Pheese being lost and KLS is still struggling. LOL, wonder what he thinks now! All I can say is that these 4 starters have come a long way from that game last December. This should make for a great game and I wish I could get down to Maryland but I will have to watch from the comfort of my recliner this year! UCONN wins by 20!:cool:

The comments unfortunately were correct, the UCONN Freshmen played like Freshmen in that game, especially Napheesa. The MD freshmen (Fraser & Gellespie )played slightly better. Jones was the only monster that could not be contained. I have not seen much progress in Fraser or Gillespie this year while Napheesa and KLS are having AA type seasons. In order for MD to be in this game 1 of the two starting MD Freshmen (Slocum or Charles) must play well. UCONN also has a MD starter from last years MD team on the coaching staff now in Chloe Pavlech.

Reaction Score
Even if we are nervous about the game, it doesn't really matter. What does matter is if our players are nervous, and from my observation, usually seems to be the opposition that is the most shook up. Now, how will the Terrapins be feeling with their undefeated record on the line?

I’ll say ready for the greatest challenge of their young lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom