The Magic Play | The Boneyard

The Magic Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I waited a day or so to weigh-in to process all the in-the-moment angst in the chat room and game thread. My bottom line is that I would've been as happy as annyone if our coaches had been able to dial up the magic play call that would have made our offense the equal of Temple's defense but I'm pretty sure no such play exists. We werre overmatched on the line and shorthanded at key positions and we played a quality opponent that was dialed-in. There is no reason, in any of that, to be down on this team. I was actually happy to see HCBD energetically making sure that nobody quit - that's important. It's a little painful, like a trip to the dentist, but it's probably necessary in the course of a rebuild to get reminded that you still have a way to go, regardless of how far you've come. I'm looking forward to getting a competive match-up in the bowl game and finishing the year on a winning note and setting 7-6 as a base line to improve on for next year.

Reaction Score
" So team, gather round. Before we hit the field I want to remind you all not to quit. OK? Now here's the bad news. We have no magic plays. We're gonna be overmatched on the line. Remember, we're shorthanded at key positions and Temple is a quality, dialed-in opponent on Senior night. Now go out there and play hard" Coach Verducci, any pre-game comments? " Yes, We're running into that D-line that overmatches us as often as we can"
Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I waited a day or so to weigh-in to process all the in-the-moment angst in the chat room and game thread. My bottom line is that I would've been as happy as annyone if our coaches had been able to dial up the magic play call that would have made our offense the equal of Temple's defense but I'm pretty sure no such play exists. We werre overmatched on the line and shorthanded at key positions and we played a quality opponent that was dialed-in. There is no reason, in any of that, to be down on this team. I was actually happy to see HCBD energetically making sure that nobody quit - that's important. It's a little painful, like a trip to the dentist, but it's probably necessary in the course of a rebuild to get reminded that you still have a way to go, regardless of how far you've come. I'm looking forward to getting a competive match-up in the bowl game and finishing the year on a winning note and setting 7-6 as a base line to improve on for next year.

This is the right attitude to have. It's year 2 of Diaco, year 1 of the offense. Our best, and most important player on offense was out of the game. The line has struggled all year against good front sevens. Yet it was only 10-0 at halftime against a top 25 team that lost to Notre freaking Dame by 4 points. Players should keep their heads up, fans should too. This has been an incredible year already - and just being bowl eligible means success.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
LOL... I was thinking more about when he was in the faces of the offense, on camera, at the start of the fourth qtr but in retrospect I'm sure your version is exactly how it played. In my simple imagining the game plan was "we're going to make first downs and keep the offense on the field and win turnovers and field position" -- unfortunately we couldn't do any of that. Would easily have been 50 to 0 had we come in trying to throw all over the yard when we can't protect for long throws so they get to sit on the short stuff. Go ahead and blame it on coaching, Im sure Temple had nothing to do with it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's funny. If Nostical hung out with the Temple players he would be posting about how much more talented Temple is than UCONN.

If he was a Houston fan it would be a Houston Nostical win on the missed pick 6, backup QB and their obsession with running the ball into the line for no gain.

Reaction Score
It's funny. If Nostical hung out with the Temple players he would be posting about how much more talented Temple is than UCONN.
I wonder what he would be posting if he could take a few snaps from center?

Reaction Score
Sorry J Money and Whaler, no I wouldn't. We may have a worse record but (when healthy) we are just as talented. Other than #8, I wouldn't trade their talent for ours and neither would you. Houston will beat them rather easily.

Reaction Score
Could you miss the point more completely?

The reason people are upset about this game is that Diaco and the OC went into compete turtle mode. It was as bad as the USF game last year where we stopped passing because Diaco was afraid of an interception. I'm surprised he even brought the team to Philly. He could have just stayed home.

If you're going to show up, then play. Die with your freakin' boots on. Play hard and play to win. And if you lose, you lose. But giving up before the coin toss just flat sucks.

Reaction Score
"We played to Lose"

We are in Day 2 of that childish game. It centers around Tim Boyle. I think many ignore what we clearly collectively witnessed. The second half went totally the wrong way - for various reasons. Tossing the ball around with no accuracy ... Is what is suggested as the appropriate fix.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Could you miss the point more completely?

The reason people are upset about this game is that Diaco and the OC went into compete turtle mode. It was as bad as the USF game last year where we stopped passing because Diaco was afraid of an interception. I'm surprised he even brought the team to Philly. He could have just stayed home.

If you're going to show up, then play. Die with your freakin' boots on. Play hard and play to win. And if you lose, you lose. But giving up before the coin toss just flat sucks.

Well since you ask... I believe that yes, I could miss the point much more completely. For example, as you seem to have. You don't play to win by going down 21 points in the first quarter. When you're undermanned you shorten the game, keep the score down and hope for a fourth quarter break. It may not be what today's X-box aficionado's are wanting to see but it's elementary football. Randy Edsall made a name for himself doing exactly that, he just couldn't transition to being a front runner. "Die with your boots on" makes a nice bumper sticker but to paraphrase George C Scott paraphrasing Patton, "better not to die", and please don't suggest those kids weren't playing hard, getting your butt handed to you is a lot harder to get through than a walk in the park.

Reaction Score
Well since you ask... I believe that yes, I could miss the point much more completely. For example, as you seem to have. You don't play to win by going down 21 points in the first quarter. When you're undermanned you shorten the game, keep the score down and hope for a fourth quarter break. It may not be what today's X-box aficionado's are wanting to see but it's elementary football. Randy Edsall made a name for himself doing exactly that, he just couldn't transition to being a front runner. "Die with your boots on" makes a nice bumper sticker but to paraphrase George C Scott paraphrasing Patton, "better not to die", and please don't suggest those kids weren't playing hard, getting your butt handed to you is a lot harder to get through than a walk in the park.
I've gotten tired of this whole debate, the game is over with the progress from last year to this one is undeniable, but you have no reason to know we'd be down 21-0, with another strategy. I'm not even upset at the strategy, I was more upset that we really tried to run into 8 man fronts repeatedly on 1st down. It looked like something you'd see from the previous staff. Saying we'd be down x amount of points is one of those things that cannot be proven either way and has been used multiple times in this debate.

Reaction Score
Nostical said:
Sorry J Money and Whaler, no I wouldn't. We may have a worse record but (when healthy) we are just as talented. Other than #8, I wouldn't trade their talent for ours and neither would you. Houston will beat them rather easily.

Their starters are nearly all juniors and seniors. Talent is only one thing. Experience is another.

So if we go 10-2 next year or the year after? Ok. Maybe I will buy that.

But to be honest I might make the trade just so I can see an OL that knows how to block.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I've gotten tired of this whole debate, the game is over with the progress from last year to this one is undeniable, but you have no reason to know we'd be down 21-0, with another strategy. I'm not even upset at the strategy, I was more upset that we really tried to run into 8 man fronts repeatedly on 1st down. It looked like something you'd see from the previous staff. Saying we'd be down x amount of points is one of those things that cannot be proven either way and has been used multiple times in this debate.
Totally fair point that we can't know, I'm just telling you what I think Diaco was thinking. Frankly, this place would be pretty boring if we all agreed on everything. FWIW, at 10-0 at the half, we still have a punchers chance. Game was over in the 3rd when we matched two long Temple drives with two three and outs. The hallmark of UConn football dark ages has been hanging the defense out to dry all day, we'll know we've arrived when the offense can keep itself on the field against good competetion. We then took a shot downfield and turned it over. BTW, that pass from Boyle was just maybe a foot short (or a second late); two more feet - safely incomplete, one more foot - a completion at least. You can't be short with that ball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I can assure you beyond a shadow
of a doubt I would have traded rosters with Temple in 2015.

Reaction Score
I can assure you beyond a shadow
of a doubt I would have traded rosters with Temple in 2015.

Please don't become UConn's talent evaluator if you're ever approached. Other than #8, you are out of your mind.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Please don't become UConn's talent evaluator if you're ever approached. Other than #8, you are out of your mind.

And what, throwing back a few cold ones with parents of players at a tailgate makes you any better?

Reaction Score
You make these absurd statements and pretend that other people think them. No one thinks that going down by 21 points in the first quarter quarter is the way to win. Yet, you assume that's what other people are suggesting. No one said or even suggested such nonsense.

How about using a quick passing game that gives the offensive line it's best chance to succeed? How about rolling the QB out and throwing deep to get the opposition off the line of scrimmage? Why not run DeLorenzo on quick hitter on third down and short instead of lining up a 175 pound back, seven yards deep, and running him off tackle on a slow developing play? And we did that twice on third down, run Newsome from seven yards deep, off tackle, into a loaded box, on a slow developing play. WTF?

So in your opinion that gave us the best chance to win. It gave us no chance to win. Diaco mailed it in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Shouldn't you be calling for Diaco's head?

Reaction Score
And what, throwing back a few cold ones with parents of players at a tailgate makes you any better?

Not at all. It's just using my eyes to evaluate our talent vs Temple. You can disagree but I wouldn't trade our talent right now for Temple's roster (except #8). And next year they couldn't pay me big money for the switch. Now go grab a cold one and contemplate that.

Reaction Score

My popcorn is almost done popping, I'm ready to sit back and watch. are you ready to call out the O-Line for that pathetic display or were the coaches responsible for not putting them in a position to block?

Reaction Score
Not at all. It's just using my eyes to evaluate our talent vs Temple. You can disagree but I wouldn't trade our talent right now for Temple's roster (except #8). And next year they couldn't pay me big money for the switch. Now go grab a cold one and contemplate that.
The irony here is you are unintentionally admitting they have a lot of talent they are losing this year while we are bringing most of ours back. While arguing that we have more talent now, outside of one position. They are an older, deeper and more talented team, your post admits it, and their performance over the course of the season (not just Saturday night) proves that.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
So in your opinion that gave us the best chance to win. It gave us no chance to win. Diaco mailed it in.
More to the point, it was Diaco's opinion. I just happen to agree with it. Sorry you weren't entertained but I'll take his judgement over yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom