The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season... | Page 13 | The Boneyard

The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season...

Reaction Score
The real question: since we knew this was going to happen with near certainty, why were the decisions made?

Reaction Score
I know those UNC students will feel bamboozled, and no matter how hard they've been partying, it's really the admins fault for not listening to what the doctors were telling them BUT...

I can tell you with certainty that the national trend is that students during Covid are opting for online classes over in-person classes. Reports are everywhere of oversubscribed online classes and undersubscribed in-person classes. I don't think it's because students prefer online classes. I think the majority of students are actually concerned about Covid. Doesn't mean the majority are concerned enough to avoid partying but in terms of taking classes, many are staying away from the live classroom.

Reaction Score
UNC looks to be struggling mightily - time to watch impact on football (if any but bears watching)
Reports of at least 5 UNC residence halls and counting with clusters of positive cases, and bars overflowing with patrons. Yup, that'll work. Perhaps UNC will just adapt their hoop program's prior no classes of any kind model university-wide.

Reaction Score
I know those UNC students will feel bamboozled, and no matter how hard they've been partying, it's really the admins fault for not listening to what the doctors were telling them BUT...

I can tell you with certainty that the national trend is that students during Covid are opting for online classes over in-person classes. Reports are everywhere of oversubscribed online classes and undersubscribed in-person classes. I don't think it's because students prefer online classes. I think the majority of students are actually concerned about Covid. Doesn't mean the majority are concerned enough to avoid partying but in terms of taking classes, many are staying away from the live classroom.
Probably more hoodwinked than bamboozled by those scallywags

Reaction Score
Coach at Liberty says they haven't tested anyone in three weeks because no reported symptoms.Their ACC foes thought they would be adhearing to ACC protocols.
You mean like Syracuse? Not testing for at least 2 weeks or FSU? Lying about the results? Probably they are doing what 5he ACC is doing.

Reaction Score
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill abruptly stops ALL in-person classes after more than 130 students test positive for COVID-19 and 300 are forced to quarantine a week into its reopening

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill canceled in-class instruction just one week into the new term on Monday after positive cases of COVID-19 shot up dramatically, becoming the latest U.S. school to reverse course on reopening.

'We have emphasized that if we were faced with the need to change plans - take an off-ramp - we would not hesitate to do so, but we have not taken this decision lightly,' it said in a statement after reporting 130 confirmed infections among students and five among employees over the past week.

The decision came after the COVID-19 positivity rate - the percentage of those tested who had infections - went from 2.8% to 13.6% at the campus clinic, Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz said in the message.

'So far, we have been fortunate that most students who have tested positive have demonstrated mild symptoms,' Guskiewicz said.

Before the decision came down, the student newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel, ran an editorial headlined, 'UNC has a clusterf*** on its hands.'

The paper said that the parties that took place over the weekend were no surprise and that administrators should have begun the semester with online-only instruction at the university, which has 19,000 undergraduates.

'We all saw this coming,' the editorial said.

Reaction Score
I thought Mark Emmert said that if there are no in person classes, then there can be no athletics. How can UNC play football this season if that is true?

Reaction Score
I thought Mark Emmert said that if there are no in person classes, then there can be no athletics. How can UNC play football this season if that is true?
See UNC Chapel Hill exception. UNC Charlotte or Appalachian State will serve any related-penalties.

Reaction Score

Emmert is not the one who makes these decisions. & people are attacking the B1G commish Warren too as though he made these decisions.

What's happening at UNC (and the speed it's happening at) was expected. A jump from 2% to 13%? Expected. In fact, with the lack of testing, almost everyone will be infected.

Reaction Score
The plan at FSU was for students to wait for test results before occupying residence halls.
Thats not happening. Capacity issues with the mailed test kits by the one approoved vendor.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
When this fall season starts- if it happens- the practice / participation reports will be wild.

Reaction Score
This is one of those things...everyone knows the right thing to do. Not everyone is willing to do it, though...I like the reference to football players in the ACC as essential employees. That’s how they are being treated. Can’t wait for the lawsuit.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What is BYU's plan anyway - to sit on standby as a replacement team for the good chance there will be forfeits from COVid outbreaks?

BYU's schedule per Future Football Schedules

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What is BYU's plan anyway - to sit on standby as a replacement team for the good chance there will be forfeits from COVid outbreaks?

They are certainly putting together a blueprint for why our guys didn't want to play this year. Why waste eligibility on that type of schedule when you signed up to play P5s?

Reaction Score
For our future Navy and Army officers, and reportedly unlikely now Air Force, they should just spread out their Commander in Chief games and call it a season.

At least BYU's scheduled to play at the USNA and USMA before the Cougars travel multiple times to/from the current worst COVID19 hot spots. IMHO, it will be surprising if BYU ends up traveling to Alabama, Texas, and Louisiana.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They are certainly putting together a blueprint for why our guys didn't want to play this year. Why waste eligibility on that type of schedule when you signed up to play P5s?
Yeah, and the Army game was just booked yesterday. Looks like BYU is about to be a temp member of the AAC in order to round out a schedule....and it will involve any home games? IDK

With most teams set to play 10 games in 2020 assuming the season happens, BYU still needs to find five games to get to 10. And where are those games going to come from? The Cougars are the westernmost team left in college football this fall; no other team west of Texas is set to play at college’s top level in 2020.

That could present some travel challenges. Three of BYU’s five scheduled games are at home. Will anyone want to go west? And who has a spot on their schedule anyway? BYU may need to resort to finding teams from the American, Sun Belt and Conference USA to fill out its schedule. Teams in the ACC and Big 12 — the two Power Five conferences allowing their teams to play a non-conference game — are booked up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom