The love is the really love is! | The Boneyard

The love is the really love is!

Reaction Score
Stolen from Volnation.
Lobo was a good collegiate player. But UConn actually made the Final Four in 1991 BEFORE she was on the team. The team with Lobo had fair success for her first three years but never made the Final Four. Lobo had her best year in 1993 – 94, UConn won 30 games, and signed their highest rated recruit up to that point, Nykesha Sales. In '95 three underclassmen who had developed into very good players each averaged double digits in scoring – Elliott, Rizzotti, and Wolters – and the NCAA Freshman of the Year Sales who also averaged double digits, made a huge difference and the team went undefeated. Sales then helped lead the team to several Elite Eights, Geno landed recruits Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abosimova, and they were established as an elite program.

Lobo tends to get all the credit for UConn's rise, but there were some other factors and players who made their ascent possible. The 91 team, Sales, Rizzotti, Wolters, Elliott, and some good coaching, two large venues, good press coverage, etc

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lobo was a good collegiate player. Gee. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Any UConn fan knows how many factors went into the 95 season with Rizzotti and Woltors and Sales and Elliot ... but Lobo was the lynchpin that brought it all together. Her recruitment opened the floodgates, her leadership and ability to deal with the press focused them. And her performances on the brightest stages were brillant.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There were certainly lots of talented players on that 1st championship team. But if you watch Birth of a Dynasty the one thing that is clear is that after UConn’s program-changing win over the LV’s at Gampel, the primary responsibility and pressure of dealing with the incredible media attention fell squarely on Rebecca, who handled it all with great poise and maturity. Rebecca was a great player, but even more importantly to the benefit of UConn WBB, she was and is an even better spokesperson and role model.

Reaction Score
Stolen from Volnation.
Lobo was a good collegiate player. But UConn actually made the Final Four in 1991 BEFORE she was on the team. The team with Lobo had fair success for her first three years but never made the Final Four. Lobo had her best year in 1993 – 94, UConn won 30 games, and signed their highest rated recruit up to that point, Nykesha Sales. In '95 three underclassmen who had developed into very good players each averaged double digits in scoring – Elliott, Rizzotti, and Wolters – and the NCAA Freshman of the Year Sales who also averaged double digits, made a huge difference and the team went undefeated. Sales then helped lead the team to several Elite Eights, Geno landed recruits Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abosimova, and they were established as an elite program.

Lobo tends to get all the credit for UConn's rise, but there were some other factors and players who made their ascent possible. The 91 team, Sales, Rizzotti, Wolters, Elliott, and some good coaching, two large venues, good press coverage, etc
[/QUOT MDoggie, I think the importance of Rebecca Lobo to the program is that she was the first player who was being recruited nationally. I forget just where she was rated but as I recall it was near the top and she was the number one player in the New England area. One of the greatest recruiting tools for any coach is to point to a "five star" player and say, "You can play with her."

Reaction Score
There were certainly lots of talented players on that 1st championship team. But if you watch Birth of a Dynasty the one thing that is clear is that after UConn’s program-changing win over the LV’s at Gampel, the primary responsibility and pressure of dealing with the incredible media attention fell squarely on Rebecca, who handled it all with great poise and maturity. Rebecca was a great player, but even more importantly to the benefit of UConn WBB, she was and is an even better spokesperson and role model.
Great point Oldude. I've watched her so many time on different venues and she exudes class. She is so well spoken and incisive. Possible the best representative the University has.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
The 93-94 team was, obviously, really really good and lost to eventual national champion UNC, who had Marion Jones (yes, that Marion Jones).

That 95 team though :)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Great point Oldude. I've watched her so many time on different venues and she exudes class. She is so well spoken and incisive. Possible the best representative the University has.
We were lucky to know her parents pretty well. My wife taught with Rebecca’s mom and we socialized. Rebecca comes from a classy family. We know her brother and he’s a classy guy. 7’ tall and a judge.

Reaction Score
We were lucky to know her parents pretty well. My wife taught with Rebecca’s mom and we socialized. Rebecca comes from a classy family. We know her brother and he’s a classy guy. 7’ tall and a judge.
Rebecca had a great line about him in her HOF speech.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: Stolen from Volnation?
1589032077133.png

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
[/QUOTE
One of the funniest HOF speeches that ever heard. Loved it when she said that her brother playing basketball helped him in his job as a judge by sitting on the bench. How about her line about when she met her husband, or the line where she told her husband that she would be sleeping with a HOF tonight. Now I'll just have to go back and watch it again. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had forgotton the Larry Bird reference. :D :D :D :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member