The lost season, what I'm focused on | The Boneyard

The lost season, what I'm focused on

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Gilbert, Wilson, Akinjo, Matthews and Kinanus joining the team next year, giving us more talent and more depth and 3 point guards (PG play has killed us this year, along with a lot of other things)

Our 4 freshmen bigs becoming sophomores, Polley has shown some real shooting skills recently. Kids growing up is the single most important development for a program.

Vital and Williams getting even stronger

and Jalen Adams returning, if Larrier comes back both he and we should be better still.

If they stay healthy, and we've been beaten down in this regard recently, I believe they're a tournament team. I know they're a tournament team.

Reaction Score
Yeah, we would be a top 25 team if Adams, Larrier and Gilbert didn't get hurt. Oh, wait, that was last year. Or is it this year? You know what, if Ollie is in charge, it will be next year too. Give Hurley those players and then, yeah, you have something to be excited about.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Gilbert, Wilson, Akinjo, Matthews and Kinanus joining the team next year, giving us more talent and more depth and 3 point guards (PG play has killed us this year, along with a lot of other things)

Our 4 freshmen bigs becoming sophomores, Polley has shown some real shooting skills recently. Kids growing up is the single most important development for a program.

and Jalen Adams returning, if Larrier comes back both he and we should be better still.

If they stay healthy, and we've been beaten down in this regard recently, I believe they're a tournament team. I know they're a tournament team.
Agreed we’ll have more talent and depth but larrier is gone and if Adams doesn’t come back we’re in trouble. It’ll be a rebuilding year

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I can't believe Adams is leaving, his draft prospects are not good and could improve substantially like a Bazz or a Hield and I think he may want to leave a winner

Larrier may just accept the fact that he's playing abroad at this point, IDK

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I can't believe Adams is leaving, his draft prospects are not good and could improve substantially like a Bazz or a Hield and I think he may want to leave a winner

Hate to say it, but I will not be sad to see Larrier go. blessing in disguise. takes too many bad shots, inconsistent effort especially on defense and turns it over way too much. Much more eager to Wilson

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m okay cutting Larrier loose. I feel bad about his injuries. Obviously this is not how he envisioned his time in Storrs but if he thinks he can go get paid to play with the Ball brothers so be it. Especially with Wilson and Matthews next year I think we’ll see an upgrade at the 3 spot. At least certainly athleticism wise. Adams is a guy with all the physical tools who can really improve his resume for the next level if he takes 1000 threes a day this summer.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I saw real hope with Larrier during the ECU game where he really accepted the role of spot up shooter. That's what he is.

Reaction Score
Yes Larrier could play overseas but it will be in some obscure place. He’s the 3rd best player on a terrible mid major team. He can shoot it a little but there are tons of guys that can shoot better. What else does he do that is impressive or even a average for a pro.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yes Larrier could play overseas but it will be in some obscure place. He’s the 3rd best player on a terrible mid major team. He can shoot it a little but there are tons of guys that can shoot better. What else does he do that is impressive or even a average for a pro.

Phil Nolan and Omar Calhoun parlayed their UConn careers into playing in “obscure places” (Scandinavia).

Larrier is without question a significantly better player than either - I hope nobody would argue against that - and will find himself in a better professional situation accordingly.

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan and Omar Calhoun parlayed their UConn careers into playing in “obscure places” (Scandinavia).

Larrier is without question a significantly better player than either - I hope nobody would argue against that - and will find himself in a better professional situation accordingly.
I’m not sure if he’s significantly better than Omar. But I hear what you are saying. My point is he’ll have a career he just won’t make a boatright load of money.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if he’s significantly better than Omar. But I hear what you are saying. My point is he’ll have a career he just won’t make a boatright load of money.

If there is an argument for Omar Calhoun being better than Terry Larrier, I’d really like to hear it. I’m inclined to think that it’s revisionist history stemming from discontent with the current team’s play.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If there is an argument for Omar Calhoun being better than Terry Larrier, I’d really like to hear it. I’m inclined to think that it’s revisionist history stemming from discontent with the current team’s play.

I think I would take freshman Omar over Larrier. Post hip injury it's tough to make that argument. I was a big time Omar fan, so I'm probably biased, but I really thought he had great potential at UConn.

For comparison sake:

As a freshman Omar put up: 11ppg, 50% 2pt fg, 32% 3pt fg, 40% total fg, 1 Steal, 1.9 TOs, 4 boards.

As a RS junior Larrier is putting up: 14 ppg, 41% 2pt fg, 38% 3pt fg, 40% total fg, .7 steals, 2.3 TOs, 4.6 boards.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I think I would take freshman Omar over Larrier. Post hip injury it's tough to make that argument. I was a big time Omar fan, so I'm probably biased, but I really thought he had great potential at UConn.

For comparison sake:

As a freshman Omar put up: 11ppg, 50% 2pt fg, 32% 3pt fg, 40% total fg, 1 Steal, 1.9 TOs, 4 boards.

As a RS junior Larrier is putting up: 14 ppg, 41% 2pt fg, 38% 3pt fg, 40% total fg, .7 steals, 2.3 TOs, 4.6 boards.

We all had such high hopes for freshman Omar. I thought he would be in the NBA by his junior year at the latest.

Taking all 4 years into consideration though, I have to go with Larrier.

Slightly unrelated, but it’s really sad thinking about what he would’ve done for the ‘14-15 team if he followed the trajectory he was on coming out of high school. The KO problems would’ve still been around, but maybe a better season then would’ve made the current decline a little less steep.

Reaction Score

You left out the biggest reason to be hopeful again, Ollie only has 4 or 5 more games as UConn coach.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We all had such high hopes for freshman Omar. I thought he would be in the NBA by his junior year at the latest.

Taking all 4 years into consideration though, I have to go with Larrier.

Slightly unrelated, but it’s really sad thinking about what he would’ve done for the ‘14-15 team if he followed the trajectory he was on coming out of high school. The KO problems would’ve still been around, but maybe a better season then would’ve made the current decline a little less steep.

What's kind of crazy is that you could argue he was the 3rd best player on the 2012-2013 team behind Napier and Boat. Then they go on to win the title with marginal contributions from him.

The injuries unfortunately happened, but I completely agree that 2014-2015 team led by Boatright could have absolutely used a healthy Omar to supplement Boat, Rodney and Hamilton. I don't see how they don't make the NCAAs with him as some extra firepower.

the Q

Reaction Score
Whaley needs to get more run.

He's REALLY good defensively when he's on the floor.

This summer he needs to work on his shooting form and FTs. Plus continue to build his body. But I really like his potential to at the least be a better version of Nolan or a smaller Josh Boone type.

Reaction Score

You think another year here is going to make him an NBA caliber player? I dont see it. I dont think the way this team and coach is constructed is setting up anyone for success. Better to save the frustration and go make some money.

the Q

Reaction Score
You think another year here is going to make him an NBA caliber player? I dont see it. I dont think the way this team and coach is constructed is setting up anyone for success. Better to save the frustration and go make some money.

i don't think the coaching staff is the reason adams can't shoot the 3.

Let's see who the coach is too.

This team could look rather different (again) next year.

Reaction Score
Agreed we’ll have more talent and depth but larrier is gone and if Adams doesn’t come back we’re in trouble. It’ll be a rebuilding year
Adams and Larrier are here and its been a rebuilding year with them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom