The loonies over at the WVU board are claiming Rutgers is headed out the Big East door | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The loonies over at the WVU board are claiming Rutgers is headed out the Big East door

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I forget if I posted it here or on the fb board... but I wonder what would happen if SUNY had made one giant flagship campus instead of four more moderate ones back in the early 1900s. It would have been a football powerhouse and likely gone to the Big Ten at some point (maybe the same time as Penn State). Or you might imagine if CCNY played football, and hadn't had the gambling scandal that ended their athletics ambition in this role. Now if I had access to a time machine I'm not sure if I would go back and make it happen, since that might prevent the formation of the Big East basketball conference and UConn's rise to prominence with Huskymania. Then again it might lead to UConn and Rutgers (and maybe Syracuse) joining the Big Ten as local rivals for SUNY/CCNY.

Reaction Score
I forget if I posted it here or on the fb board... but I wonder what would happen if SUNY had made one giant flagship campus instead of four more moderate ones back in the early 1900s. It would have been a football powerhouse and likely gone to the Big Ten at some point (maybe the same time as Penn State). Or you might imagine if CCNY played football, and hadn't had the gambling scandal that ended their athletics ambition in this role. Now if I had access to a time machine I'm not sure if I would go back and make it happen, since that might prevent the formation of the Big East basketball conference and UConn's rise to prominence with Huskymania. Then again it might lead to UConn and Rutgers (and maybe Syracuse) joining the Big Ten as local rivals for SUNY/CCNY.

If a stadium were built in Manhattan for the Jets Fordham might have been in play for the Big East.

Reaction Score
. Assuming Rutgers, the only other viable schools are UConn, Kansas and Maryland. Missouri would have been before they went south. Certainly if the B1G added all four, RU, UConn, Maryland and KU, the "Big North" would be a monster. Basketball would eclipse the ACC. Football depth would take a hit, but the market reach would be huge. Essentially the entire Union at the time of the Civil war.

Maryland has a $50m buyout, so I'd consider them out of the discussion. Kansas might have a tough time leaving KState and as a pair, UConn/RU blows away Kansas/KState. I've said for a few years and I still think we're a more logical piece of the B1G than ACC

the better question is, why would anyone think some clown from WVU knows anything about the Big East conference realignment when they didn't even know ahead of time when they left? As for this guy from the Star Ledger, he has about as much inside knowledge as RutgersAl. If you read the article it's entirely speculation, and no more legitimate than any one of us saying reasons we think we'd be attractive

Reaction Score
Maryland has a $50m buyout, so I'd consider them out of the discussion.

$50m... that's couch cushion money for Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank:

Net Worth ~ $1.1 B As of March 2012. Only #1075 Forbes Billionaires list.

At a Glance
  • Source of Wealth: Under Armour, Self-made
  • Residence: Baltimore, MD
  • Country of Citizenship: United States
  • Education: Master of Business Administration, University of Maryland; Bachelor of Arts / Science, University of Maryland

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
$50m... that's couch cushion money for Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank:

Net Worth ~ $1.1 B As of March 2012. Only #1075 Forbes Billionaires list.

At a Glance
  • Source of Wealth: Under Armour, Self-made
  • Residence: Baltimore, MD
  • Country of Citizenship: United States
  • Education: Master of Business Administration, University of Maryland; Bachelor of Arts / Science, University of Maryland

the best part about it is that MD has $$ issues and is cutting sports yet he is just pumping out football helmets all day.

if the big wanted to score east it would have got ruty/uconn/md/uva/unc/nd but it didn't. it could have had a east and west and protected almost ever rival it has while splitting the league easily. it would have been the best bball ever. 4 of the top 10 all time. huge markets would be added and the tv network would have exploded on the east. they would have better other sports also and officially set themselves as one of the power 4 down the road. but they didn't.

pj

Reaction Score
the best part about it is that MD has $$ issues and is cutting sports yet he is just pumping out football helmets all day.

if the big wanted to score east it would have got ruty/uconn/md/uva/unc/nd but it didn't. it could have had a east and west and protected almost ever rival it has while splitting the league easily. it would have been the best bball ever. 4 of the top 10 all time. huge markets would be added and the tv network would have exploded on the east. they would have better other sports also and officially set themselves as one of the power 4 down the road. but they didn't.

Too big a move for them. Attacking the ACC would have ruffled feathers. Still thinking Rutgers/UConn makes sense. Maybe they fear the character of the league would change with NYC involvement. But it's only 2 teams.

Reaction Score
Everyone knows UConn is due for a seat at the big boys' tables. 10 (3 men's) basketball national titles? There's no way any conference does not want that as part of their landscape. Who knows what our football program is capable of. It sure can be said intercollegiate sports started with football. We do have a decent football history. Our win vs Maryland proved that. Could have beaten NC State and their fans knew it.

Reaction Score
1. RU is heading out; heck, we are too - its just a matter of when, not if;
2. Um, Nova and Temple do not account for 1/5 of Philly market - they account for about 1/50th - if you think Jersey could care a less about RU, I can assure there is not a machine that could measure the indifference Philly has to those 2 FB teams - PSU and ND control 90%+ of the attention;
3. the 50MM exit fee is as enfoceable as ours has proven to be (and UMd has publicly stated as much) - it's merely a negotiating point.

Reaction Score
The B1G makes no sense. No way are they adding just Rutgers. It would have to be a pair and there's no obvious partner. The only remotely believeable rumor would be two schools going to the Big 12. Lousiville is almost certainly one of them. That leaves Rutgers and UConn (and I suppose maybe Cincy) to fight it out for the last spot. And that's basically it. Nothing else makes sense and even that move is no gimme.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Where is Tuxedo Dodo on all this? His is the only opinion that matters...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

i have yet to see a nd reactions blog from other schools. i thought he has done a good job with those in the past.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
\

Tuxedo Yoda

tuxedo%2Byoda.jpg

He's got 5 members at his blog...

http://tuxedoyoda.blogspot.com/

and they all regret registering.......

Reaction Score

Oh boy......;)

#1 I was pretty much told by the WVU board admins to disappear (for correcting some of their false Messiahs this past summer) so I am not involved over there.

#2 I had heard through a source in Austin that Rutgers was one of many schools to reach out more than once to the Big 12. I have absolutely no idea where they fit in to the scheme of things in regards to realignment.

Personally, if ACC schools are now off the table, I would like to see the Big 12 bring on BYU & Boise (both decent fball schools), UConn & Rutgers (great NE exposure) and UCF & USF (solid Florida exposure).

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
If this guy is even close to right in the end - he'll be my new idol.

“@MHver3: ESPN offering to broker wider carriage of Longhorn Network(NY and Fla most notably) if Dodd's will champion expansion with Big East 2-4”

Ya gotta know he's on tape delay...

Reaction Score

“@MHver3: ESPN offering to broker wider carriage of Longhorn Network(NY and Fla most notably) if Dodd's will champion expansion with Big East 2-4”

“@MHver3: ESPN andFox know that a 14 team B12 can get them an SEC scheduling alliance...offering to increase overall package(incl FOX) to $23mil”

“@MHver3: that amount includes revenue for championship game and assuming they go to 14.”

Reaction Score

MHver3@MHver3
ESPN andFox know that a 14 team B12 can get them an SEC scheduling alliance...offering to increase overall package(incl FOX) to $23mil

I'm looking for pixie dust. At least he's talking about UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom