The loonies over at the WVU board are claiming Rutgers is headed out the Big East door | The Boneyard

The loonies over at the WVU board are claiming Rutgers is headed out the Big East door

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Naming names, details, timelines. Everything but what conference Rutgers is going to.

Since Nelson has an in over there, maybe he could help us out on that front. But on a not really serious note, a real Rutgers newspaper writer did write that Rutgers is headed to the Big 10 sooner rather than later. I take it that a Rutgers journalist has some credibility, sarcasm aside.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2012/09/dalessandro_with_notre_dame_go.html
By Dave D'Alessandro/Star-Ledger Columnist
on September 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM, updated September 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM
With Notre Dame gone from the Big East, Rutgers soon will be, too

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=9368366
Rutgers preparing to leave the Big East

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Sorry but I'm calling BS on this. There are better, more attractive programs out there than RU. Louisville is one of them and reading that stupid board that was linked I saw some funny comments. Like, RU has tons of potential and just needs to have the DEMAND. Please....haven't heard this whole "sleeping giant" crap before? Why didn't RU become a powerhouse when Miami and VTech were in the conference? Why didn't they become any good until they left. On top of that, people in NJ don't care, STILL won't care, and probably never WILL care about RU. Lived there my whole life before coming up to UConn and I never knew a single RU fan. Knew tons of PSU, ND, and other fans but never heard one person talk about RU in ANY sport.

pj

Reaction Score
What they're talking about is Rutgers and UConn to the Big Ten, a scenario I think makes a lot of sense. If it's going to happen, it will happen over the next 4 months.

Reaction Score
ND was Rutgers' meal ticket to the Big 10. That's gone, so I can understand Rutgers' fans angst. The fact is Rutgers athletic hemmorage money. Their new president is under a lot of pressure to stop the bleeding. Things are looking very bleak there.

Reaction Score
What they're talking about is Rutgers and UConn to the Big Ten, a scenario I think makes a lot of sense. If it's going to happen, it will happen over the next 4 months.
why

Reaction Score
Accordingly (for whatever validity this may have - could be less than zero):

MHver3 (@MHver3)
9/17/12 2:57 PM
Rutgers, Uconn, and Louisville all 3 have contacted the Big12 offices today.

Reaction Score
Would not surprise me if Louisville ends up in the B12. Other than that, the rest of the folks better get used to the Big East and its new members, becuase we are all going to be here for a while.

B12 is an awful fit.........terrible.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if we went to the b12 with either of ruty/lville or both and cincy type 4 team add, it would be a huge day for this state.

Reaction Score
While travel would suck and geographically would make no sense, being in the Big 12 would ensure that we would have a guaranteed seat at the playoff table, be playing against top football competition, and ensure the stability of our basketball programs moving forward. None of these three are at all assured in the Big East, and some are very unlikely.

Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3
Rutgers, Uconn, and Louisville all 3 have contacted the Big12 offices today.

MHver3@MHver3
Deloss and Bowlsby possibly giving in the Espns offer...numbers are flying

Reaction Score
Is ESPN pitting the Big 12 and ACC against one another with this? RU, UL, and UConn to the Big 12 would essentially close the door on football team 16 for the ACC unless they wanted USF or ECU.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Is ESPN pitting the Big 12 and ACC against one another with this? RU, UL, and UConn to the Big 12 would essentially close the door on football team 16 for the ACC unless they wanted USF or ECU.

ppl will laugh but temple or nova(would have to do a real upgrade etc..)would bring some value to the acc if they ever had to add a team and ruty/uconn and others were gone elsewhere already. the acc would love the phili market, great bball and so on. so the acc would still have a chance. usf would be the 3rd fl team and split the state into 3 sections, they would also make sense for the acc if that day ever came so i dont think this would f the acc in any way. then theres also the gtown one day upgrading which is like nova.

Reaction Score

Yes, that's exactly what I am thinking.

Reaction Score
If you read through that thread on the WVU board, someone discovered that the poster started a similar topic on the Louisville board last July. At that time, the Rutgers rumors according to him involved the Big10.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2759&t=9190231&stm=124285687

which pretty much blows holes through mhver "inside" information consider he jumped right on with this rumor. I hate conference realignment so much yet i can't stop going to that board. make it stop susan make it stop.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
As a Rutgers fan: anything that keeps us out of the ACC ("where athletic programs go to die") I am in favor of. I would love the Big 12.

As a rational human being: why do I care what a WVU crank with a twitter account is predicting? He doesn't even have GSwaim levels of credibility. I really, really can't believe DeLoss would give up on FSU that quickly, and I can't see him letting in Ville, us and you guys to form an "eastern" bloc with WVU he has limited influence over. I also can't see ESPN opening up the pocket book just for the three of us, unless they really really want to minimize NBC's entry into the college sports arena to an amazing degree. Because I do think the NBE will be a credible league provided nobody else leaves.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
As a Rutgers fan: anything that keeps us out of the ACC ("where athletic programs go to die") I am in favor of. I would love the Big 12.

As a rational human being: why do I care what a WVU crank with a twitter account is predicting? He doesn't even have GSwaim levels of credibility. I really, really can't believe DeLoss would give up on FSU that quickly, and I can't see him letting in Ville, us and you guys to form an "eastern" bloc with WVU he has limited influence over. I also can't see ESPN opening up the pocket book just for the three of us, unless they really really want to minimize NBC's entry into the college sports arena to an amazing degree. Because I do think the NBE will be a credible league provided nobody else leaves.
WV fans desperately want to believe they are in the B12 for reasons other than being the biggest whore in college football. B12 has no reason whatsoever to throw a regional bone to the Eers. Take your money and access, and enjoy the island Clem.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

As much as I would like to join the ACC with Rutgers to play with our traditional rivals, it would be so sweet to go to the B1G with you guys.

I've said this before, but anywhere UConn goes I want it to be with Rutgers. The Rutgers game is about the only one left that means anything to me as a fan.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
ppl will laugh but temple or nova(would have to do a real upgrade etc..)would bring some value to the acc if they ever had to add a team and ruty/uconn and others were gone elsewhere already. the acc would love the phili market, great bball and so on. so the acc would still have a chance. usf would be the 3rd fl team and split the state into 3 sections, they would also make sense for the acc if that day ever came so i dont think this would f the acc in any way. then theres also the gtown one day upgrading which is like nova.
Temple or Nova are each 1/5 of the Philly market.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
As much as I would like to join the ACC with Rutgers to play with our traditional rivals, it would be so sweet to go to the B1G with you guys.

I've said this before, but anywhere UConn goes I want it to be with Rutgers. The Rutgers game is about the only one left that means anything to me as a fan.
Same here, it would be good for both schools if they can move together. Build the rivalry.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
WV fans desperately want to believe they are in the B12 for reasons other than being the biggest whore in college football. B12 has no reason whatsoever to throw a regional bone to the Eers. Take your money and access, and enjoy the island Clem.

Yeah, I have to believe the euphoria over being in the B12 has faded and reality has settled in. They are in a better conf than the NBE but it ain't heaven by a longshot.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The thing that is scary about Rutgers is that with all the financial issues will Rutgers athletics slide into a black hole?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who knows if this is just nonsense, but there is a logic to Rutgers to the B1G. If you don't think of them as "midwestern" and instead view the B1G as a conference of the industrial northern states, it works. Would UConn be included? Who knows. If the B1G is expanding, it would be by two. Assuming Rutgers, the only other viable schools are UConn, Kansas and Maryland. Missouri would have been before they went south. Certainly if the B1G added all four, RU, UConn, Maryland and KU, the "Big North" would be a monster. Basketball would eclipse the ACC. Football depth would take a hit, but the market reach would be huge. Essentially the entire Union at the time of the Civil war.

Louisville is not B1G caliber. Big XII might come calling. Cincy, depsite the solid football program and decent hoops, is another rung down. Big XII wouldn't touch Memphis or Houston (which was rejected at the time of the SWC merger for good reasons). I still think the Big XII needs to head west and southwest. Get New Mexico and Nevada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom