The Liv Factor | The Boneyard

The Liv Factor

Reaction Score
It’s still early in the season, but UConn is currently holding opponents to 54 ppg, 2 ppg less than last season. The “Liv factor” looms large so far this season... :rolleyes:
Oldude mentioned the Liv factor which made me want to check some stats. Liv has certainly made the sophomore leap that we had all hoped for. Liv had seven blocks against Dayton which gives her 28 in 6 games with at least 3 in every game. She now has has 82 blocks in her career. The top 10 shot blockers in UConn history are: Stewie 414, Lobo 396, Walters 370, Stokes 325, Charles 304, Dolson 254, Collier 251, Maya 204, Schumacher 181 and Peggy Walsh 162. UConn this season has 23 more regular season games, 3 in the AAC tournament and hopefully at least 3 in the NCAA tournament. The next 2 years should have at least 35 games so a conservative estimate would be 100 more games assuming Liv is injury free. If she averages just 2 blocks a game she would move into 6th place behind Tina. An optimistic but not unrealistic scenario would be she averages over 3.3 blocks a game and becomes the leading shot blocker in UConn history. Go Liv, go UConn and have a happy Thanksgiving!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Imagine what Kiah Stokes totals would have been had she played more during her Sophomore and Junior years! Wow. She had what we call “a Senior leap” that I hope Kyla and Molly continue on!

Reaction Score
Imagine what Kiah Stokes totals would have been had she played more during her Sophomore and Junior years! Wow. She had what we call “a Senior leap” that I hope Kyla and Molly continue on!
I was surprised to find that Kiah actually had about the same number of minutes in her junior and senior years (more than double her sophomore year). Her scoring and rebounding remained about the same both years but her blocks jumped from 89 to 147. The 147 came in 39 games or almost 3.8 blocks per game !

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The clear flaw in her game is her ability to finish around the hoop. With her leaping ability somehow she is either blocked or rushed too often. If she learns to use that natural ability to finish off plays or get fouled instead of blocked, shel’d be a force a both ends. Still early in her sophomore season so she has time to learn. Defensively she’s good and getting better.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Once Liv(e) gets stronger she'll be able to power through the swats and grabbing around the hoop and finish. Folks, that's going to happen. As time goes on she'll have more variety to her game, around the hoop, shooting, and dribbling from the elbow. This is going to happen. She's also going to become a better rebounder as her upper body gets more strength and muscle mass. Right now she's getting rebounds by using her lower body for position or out jumping her mark. This too will happen. Her and Edwards are going to terrorize WCBB. This friends, will also happen. Go Liv(e).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In the next game, I would like to see Liv turn to her left on the block after receiving an entry pass, and either go straight up or lean in towards the basket. Right now she turns to her right every time and shoots a fade-away.

I’m not complaining about that, I would just like to see her add several options to her game. The more moves you have, the harder it is for a player to guard you. I’d like to see some drop step lay ups as well.

Overall, I think Liv is coming along just fine. She’s not where she’ll be after the first of the year, or where she’ll be come March.

It’s fun watching her development. I’m a huge ONO fan and booster. Aubrey is fun to watch also. She’s getting better with each game. You know she’s going to make a big play or two, you just don’t know when.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes .. you got it .. turn left, power dribble&jump stop [for separation], go airborne, shoot off the glass!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In the next game, I would like to see Liv turn to her left on the block after receiving an entry pass, and either go straight up or lean in towards the basket. Right now she turns to her right every time and shoots a fade-away.

I’m not complaining about that, I would just like to see her add several options to her game. The more moves you have, the harder it is for a player to guard you. I’d like to see some drop step lay ups as well.

Overall, I think Liv is coming along just fine. She’s not where she’ll be after the first of the year, or where she’ll be come March.

It’s fun watching her development. I’m a huge ONO fan and booster. Aubrey is fun to watch also. She’s getting better with each game. You know she’s going to make a big play or two, you just don’t know when.
I've seen her spin left a few times, although she does spin right more often.

Reaction Score
Bottom line (for me)- I love watching this group of Huskie women's BB players...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nice compilation video of Liv's Blocks with some appropriate mood music

As I watched Liv reject shot after shot, it occurs to me that she needs a nickname. I’m sure the late Marvin Webster, a.k.a. The Human Eraser, wouldn’t have minded if we employed his nickname to describe Liv. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As I watched Liv reject shot after shot, it occurs to me that she needs a nickname. I’m sure the late Marvin Webster, a.k.a. The Human Eraser, wouldn’t have minded if we employed his nickname to describe Liv. :)

I think the suggestion which I think was made earlier on the board O_NO_you_don't cant be improved on.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
and Stewie's was not chopped liver on the few times she needed it (over BG for example)
I think Stewie may have had it in high school, but more players should develop it. I would have liked to see Lou add it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom