The last straw | The Boneyard

The last straw

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
A reason not mentioned in previous threads about declining attendance is the lousy coverage provided by WTNHTV (CH 8) and its "Sports Director", a San Diego used car salesman named Noah Finz. Let's see; what is happening tonight?

1. The UCONN women are playing
2. They are playing another Connecticut school, Fairfield
3. Jaqui Fernandes returns home as an assistant coach for Fairfield
4. The 2002 team, possibly the best in WCBB history is being honored
5. Sveta is back in town

Not one word was uttered by their sportscaster about tonight's game during the sports segment!

I faithfully watch WTNH because it covers the Southeast Coastline better than the other CT stations and their weather coverage is more shoreline oriented but I think I've had enough.

Oh yes! For those wise @$$es who want to know why I'm not at the game, I'm still recovering and rehabilitating from Guillain-Barre Syndrome, which is a slow, drawn-out process.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Grizz, You had GBS, wow. That is incredibly tough. You have my prayers and thoughts.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A reason not mentioned in previous threads about declining attendance is the lousy coverage provided by WTNHTV (CH 8) and its "Sports Director", a San Diego used car salesman named Noah Finz. Let's see; what is happening tonight?

5. Sveta is back in town

Not one word was uttered by their sportscaster about tonight's game during the sports segment!

I faithfully watch WTNH because (Teresa Labarbara) it covers the Southeast Coastline better than the other CT stations and their weather coverage is more shoreline oriented but I think I've had enough.

Oh yes! For those wise @$$es who want to know why I'm not at the game, I'm still recovering and rehabilitating from Guillain-Barre Syndrome, which is a slow, drawn-out process.

my reason for watching Ch8 in red

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I think Labarbera is the one that used to work for CH3. She had an off camera oops when she didn't realize her mike was on. I believe she was canned for that.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
I think Labarbera is the one that used to work for CH3. She had an off camera oops when she didn't realize her mike was on. I believe she was canned for that.

Not as bad as Desiree Fontaine's shop lifting oops. I miss having Sonia on the morning news. I miss the tight shirt alerts from the Chaz and AJ Show. I think Teresa still holds the highest rating when she was still at Ch.3. ....a 4.9 on a 5 scale

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Potty Mouth LaBarbera replaced Sticky Fingers Fountaine at Ch 8.

Actually, I thought Labarbera's faux pas was no big deal and kinda' funny. The camera was showing a weather map with no Barbera in sight. After a few seconds a very audible "Aw !" was heard as she realized she was supopsed to be on camera.

Reaction Score
I still can't get use to the new weather crew... Bring back Geoff Fox.... I'm starting to watch more CBS and NBC news and weather since he left...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Lost in the midst of all this is Grizz trying to mend from Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Potty Mouth LaBarbera replaced Sticky Fingers Fountaine at Ch 8.

Actually, I thought Labarbera's faux pas was no big deal and kinda' funny. The camera was showing a weather map with no Barbera in sight. After a few seconds a very audible "Aw !" was heard as she realized she was supopsed to be on camera.
didnt know that... thought she was tired of Scoty Haney's antics and saw the opening when Desi got bagged & canned! thanks, wonder if that on YouTube.

Reaction Score
LaBarbara was in my communications class at UCONN and we even did a few projects together. She was a riot back then. I remember riding in her car and she had a disco ball hanging down from her rear view mirror so when the sun would shine thru the inside of the car it had the 70s disco effect.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Lost in the midst of all this is Grizz trying to mend from Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

Forgot to mention, Ice. A warning to all the bears. Doc thought it might have been caused by a tainted rabbit. :cool: BTW - What made it worse was it was triggered by Ramsay-Hunt Syndrome, chickenpox/shingles of facial nerves and inner ear. It spread to my vocal chords and throat muscles as well as some neuropathy to the rest of my body. The biggest remainder is staggering around like a drunk because of inner ear damage. Time will tell how much it will heal. Can drive short distances but still can't pass a field sobriety test. Managed to clean all the leaves up myself in 30-40 minute increments.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

Yes, that's a very difficult condition. All the best, Grizz, for a speedy recovery.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
On the subject of Connecticut news coverage, I must admit that I don't watch any of it. I'm a New Yorker (even though I haven't lived in that state since 1968) and I live in that part of Fairfield County which is within minutes of the NY border. The result is that I watch Channel 7, ABC-TV, in NYC. The UConn women don't get mentioned unless they win a national championship or break a winning streak. As for sports, like it or not, it's very NY-centric.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Forgot to mention, Ice. A warning to all the bears. Doc thought it might have been caused by a tainted rabbit. :cool: BTW - What made it worse was it was triggered by Ramsay-Hunt Syndrome, chickenpox/shingles of facial nerves and inner ear. It spread to my vocal chords and throat muscles as well as some neuropathy to the rest of my body. The biggest remainder is staggering around like a drunk because of inner ear damage. Time will tell how much it will heal. Can drive short distances but still can't pass a field sobriety test. Managed to clean all the leaves up myself in 30-40 minute increments.
I first was exposed to the impact of GBS some 30+ years ago when a 22 year old member of the congregation was struck down with it over a period of weeks and eventually even needed to be put onto a ventilator. Over the next year and a half he slowly recovered about 95% but long had lingering effects.

Don't worry about the sobriety test you couldn't pass that before.

Reaction Score

5. Sveta is back in town

------------------------------
Hang in there Grizz!

I stopped watching WTNH 8 when they canned Jeff Fox.

I think "No Offense" has been terrible since DAY ONE and he, apparently, hasn't made any effort to get better.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I liked his predecessor, Bob Picozzi, who ALSO got the Jeff Fox treatment.
I don't know how or why local TV stations shuffle theor on-air talent as promisuously as they do.

Reaction Score
------------------------------
I stopped watching WTNH 8 when they canned Jeff Fox.
I think "No Offense" has been terrible since DAY ONE and he, apparently, hasn't made any effort to get better.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I liked his predecessor, Bob Picozzi, who ALSO got the Jeff Fox treatment.
I don't know how or why local TV stations shuffle theor on-air talent as promisuously as they do.

Unless you are Al Terzi, then you can make HORRIBLE mistakes on a daily basis and they keep propping you up there to make them.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Unless you are Al Terzi, then you can make HORRIBLE mistakes on a daily basis and they keep propping you up there to make them.
talkin 'bout propping... Dr Mel

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Geoff Fox's smarmy, "looka' me" brand of forecasting had run it's course years ago. I also got tired of him blaming everybody else (NWS,NOAA, the computer model, God etc.) whenever he blew a forecast. I was glad to see him go although it should have happened a long time ago. All I want in a weather guy is the weather - reasonably correct. I don't need any lame entertainment.

As for Finz - How many games are covered in advance? Especially a meaningless, cupcake woman's game? My guess is that the outcome will get a few seconds tonight. Perspective folks - it ain't Giants/Jets.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Geoff Fox's smarmy, "looka' me" brand of forecasting had run it's course years ago. I also got tired of him blaming everybody else (NWS,NOAA, the computer model, God etc.) whenever he blew a forecast. I was glad to see him go although it should have happened a long time ago. All I want in a weather guy is the weather - reasonably correct. I don't need any lame entertainment.

As for Finz - How many games are covered in advance? Especially a meaningless, cupcake woman's game? My guess is that the outcome will get a few seconds tonight. Perspective folks - it ain't Giants/Jets.

Whether you like it, or not, the men's team gets plenty of advance coverage for "meaningless cupcake games".
Whether you like it, or not, Noah Finz has the same kind of smarmy "looka' me" brand of broadcasting for sports.
Whether you like it, or not, you are wrong. The outcome will get NO seconds tonight.
Whether you like it, or not, there was enough local interest to generate at least a little advance mention of last nights game. and, finally:
Whether you like it, or not, "perspective folks" - The Giants/Jets ain't exactly Packers/Saints.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
You nailed it griz36 - "Whether you like it, or not, the men's team gets plenty of advance coverage for "meaningless cupcake games"

Lousy coverage is not restricted to WTNH. A few years ago I called the sports "desk" at the Bristol Press to inquire why the at the time mediocre UCONN men's team warranted a 1 1/2 page spread and not a single word published on the #1 ranked UCONN women's team which had played the night before (granted probably too late for results to make the paper, but not even a word about hte upcoming game). The editor's response - "we pick up our news from the New Haven paper" and "they didn't have anything".

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
You nailed it griz36 - "Whether you like it, or not, the men's team gets plenty of advance coverage for "meaningless cupcake games"

Lousy coverage is not restricted to WTNH. A few years ago I called the sports "desk" at the Bristol Press to inquire why the at the time mediocre UCONN men's team warranted a 1 1/2 page spread and not a single word published on the #1 ranked UCONN women's team which had played the night before (granted probably too late for results to make the paper, but not even a word about hte upcoming game). The editor's response - "we pick up our news from the New Haven paper" and "they didn't have anything".

The last part sounds like a definition of the modern news media.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Whether you like it, or not, the men's team gets plenty of advance coverage for "meaningless cupcake games".
Whether you like it, or not, Noah Finz has the same kind of smarmy "looka' me" brand of broadcasting for sports.
Whether you like it, or not, you are wrong. The outcome will get NO seconds tonight.
Whether you like it, or not, there was enough local interest to generate at least a little advance mention of last nights game. and, finally:
Whether you like it, or not, "perspective folks" - The Giants/Jets ain't exactly Packers/Saints.

Whether I like it or not doesn't enter into it because I don't care. I know when the games are on I don't need somebody on TV to tell me.

The truth is the fan base for women's sports is too small to get a lot of TV coverage - whether you like it or not.

Reaction Score
Then had a make-over.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score

Whaddaya know? They got some air time. You nailed that one. Shows that even a blind hog can fetch himself an acorn once in a while.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Whether you like it, or not, you are wrong. The outcome will get NO seconds tonight."

Whether you like it or not, you are wrong. WTNH News at 6:00 devoted 78 seconds (yup, I timed it) to last nights game. That was roughly 4 times the coverage the men got. Just a guess but the UConn women's coverage probably took up more than half the entire sports broadcast. Tonight's coverage included interviews with Dolson and Doty. In addition WTNH had a full page article on the game on their web site.

You managed to miss that point by about as much as you missed your coverage prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom