The last 5 minutes -- yikes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The last 5 minutes -- yikes

Reaction Score
I am not sure what to say about this. They really do look terrible. Game after game after game. :(:(

OK, let's end this post on a happy note. BC played. :):)

I was more than pleased with much of the last 5 minutes of the Depaul game. The freshmen and sophs were against many of Depaul that took on the Starting 7. Do you realize how much actual PT some of those guys have had prior to this??
I finally got to see Touly, big big plus, Irwin rebounded and hustled, AEH played ok defense, Walker--holy, moley , jumping Geehasafat--is she very good or what?
Ok it got sloppy--why? --Doug knew he had kids with minimal PT time --and he went into a frenetic press--that blew the minds of our kids. Won't happen again! Great tool for Geno--he witches (with a B) to these young guys--now they know why. This is a plus in many ways---Division One isn't HS anymore Dorothy--give them time, the cream will rise those that settle will be sitting.

Reaction Score
There's nothing new about the performance level when the bench is emptied in a blowout. It annoys me when fans expect everyone to be Maya on day one. Funny, but I had a positive view of the final minutes. I saw flashes and improvements on the part of the sophomores against a team that was still playing really hard against them. Way to go.
I like this POSITIVE posting on our young guys. Maya was Maya in her first game, but not the Maya as a Senior. Walker is Walker in her first games, WOW! and will become the takeover player as a Senior.
Great post--

Reaction Score
There's nothing new about the performance level when the bench is emptied in a blowout. It annoys me when fans expect everyone to be Maya on day one. Funny, but I had a positive view of the final minutes. I saw flashes and improvements on the part of the sophomores against a team that was still playing really hard against them. Way to go.

I think fans expect highly recruited freshmen to be competitive, not superstars. It shows that even high level AAU is not even close to college defense.

Reaction Score
Yes, the last 4 minutes were not pretty, but young players were getting some experience to build on. Why dwell on the negative?
Thanks--we all have to remember --these comment are not about Duke players ---but about OUR Young kids--some of us take that personally, as we would blood kids. POSITIVE good post Big Bird..

Reaction Score
Posted this on the DePaul game thread but it bears repeating here!

Golly can you people cut the end of the bench some slack?
You make it sound like these last 3 or 4 are all HS All-Americans that now suck! Big difference between HS ball and UCONN ball!
They're out there trying their best playing better competition that just played most of the game with the hockey-subs system!
They'll need a lot of time with the first and 2nd teamers to improve their games! Working only with the end of the bench mostly in practice isn't going to make them improve their games by leaps and bounds!
It's amazing how fast an average player improves when having to work with the best players on the team!
When I coached HS Wrestling my JV practiced with the Varsity all the time so they had to raise their "game" to keep their heads above water! I told the JV's they better give the varsity kids they're best or else, don't chicken out, attack and see what happens!
I was usually quite proud of the improvement my JV's made from start to end of the season!
You complainers couldn't succeed at your jobs if someone was always dragging you down and holding you to an impossibly high standard!
Give 'em a break, will ya!

It really disturbs me to read such damning comments as if the last 4 on the bench are costing UCONN wins with their learning experiences! I have followed UCONN seriously since 1995 and every single year the last off the bench has made a rough transition to College BB! It isn't like the last year or 2 the learning curve has gotten lower!

If the starters + 2 start blowing 30 point leads than we have something to worry about!
If we win by 35 or win by 20 points I couldn't care less! The whole team is still the cream of the Division I WBB world and I'm not going to sweat the small stuff that the last 5 minutes may be!
If the last 5 to 8 minutes are upsetting you so much DON'T FREAKING WATCH, SHUT IT OFF and you'll only see the first team play and you can relax the rest of your evening! Otherwise don't spout your negative crap to the real fans of UCONN WBB!

Reaction Score
I think it looks worse than it is because no one can handle the ball at this level yet. They dribble with their heads down and telegraph most passes. They need to have Crystal or Nurse stay with them so it doesn't look so ugly.
At times they appeared to be trying to replicate the passing skills of the top 7, quick crisp passes--that were too quick--but trying they did . With the score as it was having Crystal of Kia in the game would not have shown Geno what he wanted to see and to show the Frosh what they have to learn--with the score--it was a great tool. Look at the positives, Touly played, AEH showed Defense and unafraid of shooting, Irwin was as expected. Next year you'll be cheering these kids--with luck some this year.

Reaction Score
Posted this on the DePaul game thread but it bears repeating here!

Golly can you people cut the end of the bench some slack?
You make it sound like these last 3 or 4 are all HS All-Americans that now suck! Big difference between HS ball and UCONN ball!
They're out there trying their best playing better competition that just played most of the game with the hockey-subs system!
They'll need a lot of time with the first and 2nd teamers to improve their games! Working only with the end of the bench mostly in practice isn't going to make them improve their games by leaps and bounds!
It's amazing how fast an average player improves when having to work with the best players on the team!
When I coached HS Wrestling my JV practiced with the Varsity all the time so they had to raise their "game" to keep their heads above water! I told the JV's they better give the varsity kids they're best or else, don't chicken out, attack and see what happens!
I was usually quite proud of the improvement my JV's made from start to end of the season!
You complainers couldn't succeed at your jobs if someone was always dragging you down and holding you to an impossibly high standard!
Give 'em a break, will ya!

It really disturbs me to read such damning comments as if the last 4 on the bench are costing UCONN wins with their learning experiences! I have followed UCONN seriously since 1995 and every single year the last off the bench has made a rough transition to College BB! It isn't like the last year or 2 the learning curve has gotten lower!

If the starters + 2 start blowing 30 point leads than we have something to worry about!
If we win by 35 or win by 20 points I couldn't care less! The whole team is still the cream of the Division I WBB world and I'm not going to sweat the small stuff that the last 5 minutes may be!
If the last 5 to 8 minutes are upsetting you so much DON'T FREAKING WATCH, SHUT IT OFF and you'll only see the first team play and you can relax the rest of your evening! Otherwise don't spout your negative crap to the real fans of UCONN WBB!

WOW! Tuff words! But true. Like minds, etc. HOW TO GO GuY..

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Are we going to have this discussion after every game? Has the bench cost us a game? Do you not want the freshman and others to get game time experience?

Enough is enough.

Reaction Score
Freshmen and sophomores.....[/QUOTE
Only agree to a point. The lack of anyone taking over and showing leadership or superior skills against 2nd and 3rd teamers from 2nd tier team is frustrating.

Reaction Score
Are we going to have this discussion after every game? Has the bench cost us a game? Do you not want the freshman and others to get game time experience?

Enough is enough.

Players like KYLA, AEH, LEXI, BC( when healthy) will only get better if they are mixed in and given minutes with starters.
You think there going to get better up 40, in garbage time with Molly throwing the ball away as they opponent is somehow pressing us!! Yes Kyla gets worked in a bit, AEH a bit but not nearly enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom