The land of the not-so-elite | The Boneyard

The land of the not-so-elite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
As UConn fans, we are spoiled. We know that, but I saw it up close and personal yesterday.

Bob (aka Bobster) and I decided to catch some of the afternoon games. These teams aren't considered the elite, but they are definitely not bottom feeders. Hampton was second in the nation (behind UConn) in defense last year, recording he third best defense in NCAA history. South Carolina is coached by a basketball legend, and is a regular at the NCAA Tournament. Florida Gulf Coast lead the country in three point shooting last year and earned an NCAA bid. DePaul has an Olympic assistant coach heading the program, is a regular at the NCAA Tournament and flirts with national rankings.

Bob and I sat behind the DePaul team. At a break in the action, I decided to turn around and count the fans. One, two… that was it. Counting Bob and myself. There were zero DePaul fans in the arena. We moved over behind the FGCU for the next game. There were several people in the stands, but oddly, just as the game started, most of them got up and left. There was a couple sitting a few rows up, but it wasn't clear whether they were locals coming to watch, or actual fans of the team. If I don't count them, there were three fans, counting the two of us. The mother of a fifth year senior was sitting behind us.

To their credit, Hampton had a decent contingent. I didn't count, but I saw several, meaning maybe a dozen. I think I saw a couple South Carolina fans, or possibly family members.
I understand these are away games, and maybe all the fans aren't going to consider being away from home for Thanksgiving, but it is a stark contrast between the UConn support and that of some very decent teams

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I heard there were 300 UConn fans but those were only the fans that got tix thhrough UConn. I did not. I estimate it's probably closer to 400 and we fill up two of the three sections in the high school sized gym. I'm bringing 3 more UConn fans tonight as my husband and sons will be there too.

Got to do a better job on crowd noise, though. We brought the HCC crowd with us.

Reaction Score
I heard there were 300 UConn fans but those were only the fans that got tix thhrough UConn. I did not. I estimate it's probably closer to 400 and we fill up two of the three sections in the high school sized gym. I'm bringing 3 more UConn fans tonight as my husband and sons will be there too.

Got to do a better job on crowd noise, though. We brought the HCC crowd with us.
You need one of those blue mohawks so we can spot you in the crowd.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Where is Danny Uconn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
You need one of those blue mohawks so we can spot you in the crowd.

Last night, I was right behind the blue Mohawk.

I had heard the 300 number as well, but there are six of us who got tickets on out own, so we are part of the the additional count.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Phil - you are getting lots of face time on the SNY coverage. First night you were holding a sign, and last night lots more sightings(maybe because you were behind the blue mohawk guy). So you and Nan and TJI should wave to your fellow yarders back home when you see those cameras!!
And stay away from the iguanas, they have a nasty bite....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom