The lack of post game chatter is just sad | The Boneyard

The lack of post game chatter is just sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't blame anyone as it was a tough enough game to watch (on a tablet nonetheless) but I came here to see people's thoughts and there's basically no new topics, no discussion and no buzz whatsoever.

It's truly stunning how in 3 years, I truly believed we were on our way to becoming a year in, year out Big East BCS contender, to getting blown out by SMU on ESPN in the AAC.

This isn't anything new or different than what's been going on, but yesterday/today seems like it was everyone's breaking point.

A new coach will bring some hope, but P/GDL have done so much damage to this program, it's going to be difficult to be bowl eligible anytime soon.

Just sad.

Reaction Score
It just feels hopeless all around right now. Stuck in this conference we don't want to be in, with a team that is unquestionably the worst in the conference by far. Call it the perfect storm of misery. The only thing we have to look forward to with this program is the hiring of a new coach. Till then I don't know what we could discuss that hasn't been beaten to death.

It absolutely sucks to be in this predicament at the moment but better days have to be ahead and it will start with the naming of a new coach.

Reaction Score
We don't recruit any better or worse than the rest of the teams in the the conference yet we are getting demolished.. Losing half of Edsall's recruiting classes of 2009 and 2010 is coming back to bite us pretty hard. Anybody remember Lang? Difton? Aiken? Kinnard? Osieki? McKee?, Alexander? Bailed after committing.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Aren't we consistently rated at the bottom of the leagues were in for recruiting?

That combined with awful coaching is a recipe for disaster.

As far as what we should be discussing? Honestly, I don't even know. Just depressing there's no chatter, no View From (I don't blame BL at all) and just no enthusiasm.

Reaction Score
As bad as P's first two years were, we went into the last game of the regular season with a chance earn a bowl birth. There has to be something to be enthused about. Those that said P shouldn't have been brought back for year three were absolutely wrong. I personally could not foresee that we would become the absolute worst team in any bcs conference.

Reaction Score
I don't blame anyone as it was a tough enough game to watch (on a tablet nonetheless) but I came here to see people's thoughts and there's basically no new topics, no discussion and no buzz whatsoever.

It's truly stunning how in 3 years, I truly believed we were on our way to becoming a year in, year out Big East BCS contender, to getting blown out by SMU on ESPN in the AAC.

This isn't anything new or different than what's been going on, but yesterday/today seems like it was everyone's breaking point.

A new coach will bring some hope, but P/GDL have done so much damage to this program, it's going to be difficult to be bowl eligible anytime soon.

Just sad.

Well way to liven things up with a pathetic thread.

You are sad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As bad as P's first two years were, we went into the last game of the regular season with a chance earn a bowl birth. There has to be something to be enthused about. Those that said P shouldn't have been brought back for year three were absolutely wrong. I personally could not foresee that we would become the absolute worst team in any bcs conference.
That should have read were absolutely right, not wrong.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What is there to discuss other than potential coaching candidates? We are winless, will likely see a complete overhaul of our entire coaching staff, will likely lose lots of kids to transfers or the draft and verbal commits to other programs, and our conference realignment situation looks as bleak as ever. The only thing that we can discuss with any sort of positive enthusiasm is who is going to be our next head coach and how long will it take to get us back on the right path.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
How about this. And I hope he doesn't mind me posting it without first getting his permission (I've asked for it), but I think he would ok with this part of our conversation. I had a chat with Mr. Lagow who was at the game yesterday. And although the main topic (coaching) is not new on this board, I think his insights and perspective on some other things are often lost on us here.

I've taken the liberty of underlining the comments I think are key, and it all starts with attitude. With that said, I'm pretty sure some haters will come out and stomp on this post. So be it. As an alum and Husky football fan for nearly 40 years, I personally think his comments are right on the money.

I still hold to the feelings that UCONN continually sells itself short and hires people trying to use it as a stepping stone. It needs an attitude change. The school needs to see itself as the top level school it is, in the middle of the universe with major population hubs all around it, and they need to hire experienced highly qualified people looking for a safe community to raise families or spend their lives. Do not hire has-been coaches looking for one last payday, go get a young exciting coach and tie him to a long term school option out only contract. Build a dynasty. All the pieces are there. While I played at SMU, I never would let Richard go to camps or visits at various schools because of some environment I did not like. I let him go to UCONN because it had all the pieces. Never liked coach P but figured he was short term. What your program lacks is vision towards greatness.

Reaction Score
He's right about UConn needing a "vision toward greatness". But vision without execution is mere hallucination. The next hire will define what the future will look like for us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Delete

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
How about this. And I hope he doesn't mind me posting it without first getting his permission (I've asked for it), but I think he would ok with this part of our conversation. I had a chat with Mr. Lagow who was at the game yesterday. And although the main topic (coaching) is not new on this board, I think his insights and perspective on some other things are often lost on us here.

I've taken the liberty of underlining the comments I think are key, and it all starts with attitude. With that said, I'm pretty sure some haters will come out and stomp on this post. So be it. As an alum and Husky football fan for nearly 40 years, I personally think his comments are right on the money.

I still hold to the feelings that UCONN continually sells itself short and hires people trying to use it as a stepping stone. It needs an attitude change. The school needs to see itself as the top level school it is, in the middle of the universe with major population hubs all around it, and they need to hire experienced highly qualified people looking for a safe community to raise families or spend their lives. Do not hire has-been coaches looking for one last payday, go get a young exciting coach and tie him to a long term school option out only contract. Build a dynasty. All the pieces are there. While I played at SMU, I never would let Richard go to camps or visits at various schools because of some environment I did not like. I let him go to UCONN because it had all the pieces. Never liked coach P but figured he was short term. What your program lacks is vision towards greatness.

Spot ' on with his thoughts and opinions. That's why I get frustrated with people in our fanbase who advocate for hiring Rob Ambrose (failed OC here), Joe Moorhead (another failed OC here), or Lane Kiffin (failed everywhere) types to be our next head coach. I want UCONN to go after the top available candidates and increase their Assistant coaches salary pool. If we offer something between $2-$3M/yr and can pay our Assistants fair P5 market value, then we will likely be able to find a great candidate who can rebuild our program to the levels that Edsall left it at and beyond. So many people are quick to point out the negatives of our job opening, but there are positives (hard to see this year, I realize). Sell those positives, pay the right guy, and change the perception that surrounds this program.

Reaction Score
The word wrong was supposed to say right. I didn't edit it cause people had responded. My take on P is that he came here to make some nice coin before retiring to raise his young kids.

I always believed be was a decent man but when he was talking about having fun at 0-4, I lost respect for his effort for this program. That was an absolute slap in the face to everyone involved with this program.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The word wrong was supposed to say right. I didn't edit it cause people had responded. My take on P is that he came here to make some nice coin before retiring to raise his young kids.

I always believed be was a decent man but when he was talking about having fun at 0-4, I lost respect for his effort for this program. That was an absolute slap in the face to everyone involved with this program.

My delete was deleting my response because I saw your clarification.

Reaction Score
We are in a much better place leadership wise now than we were when Edsall left. Let's hope that gives us a much better Coach. Mr Lagow nailed it. This is a great opportunity for the next guy. If I was Warde I'd ask Kirk Ferentz and John Dorsey for their input on the coach's that apply. I'm sure they don't want to see UConn be a perennial doormat. May be some help, this is a huge hire. We can't go through 3 more years of this.

Reaction Score
"Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead") --

Reaction Score
We are in a much better place leadership wise now than we were when Edsall left. Let's hope that gives us a much better Coach. Mr Lagow nailed it. This is a great opportunity for the next guy. If I was Warde I'd ask Kirk Ferentz and John Dorsey for their input on the coach's that apply. I'm sure they don't want to see UConn be a perennial doormat. May be some help, this is a huge hire. We can't go through 3 more years of this.

3 year season ticket cycle ends next year - I'd argue that someone needs to make some noise next year to avoid a disaster at the box office. Not win the conference per say, but a vast change from what's been on that field this year. People will start voting with their wallets if UConn isn't careful.

Reaction Score
3 year season ticket cycle ends next year - I'd argue that someone needs to make some noise next year to avoid a disaster at the box office. Not win the conference per say, but a vast change from what's been on that field this year. People will start voting with their wallets if UConn isn't careful.
Without a doubt, we have to get competitive real fast. Special teams play that aren't a complete fart would be a good place to start. We have been watching no Offense for 3 years so that is another area that any improvement would get the fans to show up.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Bottom is a ways away stick together be strong and hope it all gets right....soon

You're saying it can get worse than 0-9, with an interim coach and a QB carousel?

Unless you mean a second consecutive season of this, I don't understand how it could get worse.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You're saying it can get worse than 0-9, with an interim coach and a QB carousel?

Unless you mean a second consecutive season of this, I don't understand how it could get worse.

It's much harder to convince a recruit that UConn is a great place to apply his trade when you are 0-12 than when you are 3-9, as ridiculous as that might sound (especially if two more of those losses are Temple and Memphis). So....yes, it can get worse. Let's hope it doesn't...

Reaction Score
Give me 1-11 and the win is vs Rutgers and I can get through the off season. A 1-11 season with a win vs Memphis or Temple is like 0-12 for me.

If we don't get a name coach or coordinator, i.e., Mich St, Clemson or Miami coordinator it will be a long, long off season. Especially on this board.

An up and coming MAC coach won't create excitement and will take 2-3 years of incremental success to get recruiting and fan interest back to pre PP levels.

In the future give me an 8-4, 9-3 or 10-2 season and I will never, ever b*tch again. A 7-5 year would be awesome as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom