The key to turnaround has been Samuel at 1-2 and Hamilton at 4. | The Boneyard

The key to turnaround has been Samuel at 1-2 and Hamilton at 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look at losses at Cincy and Houston. Halfway through the ECU game we switched to Samuel starting as a second ball-handling guard. This changed everything.

Starting Samuel has allowed Boat to play off the ball. Samuel is also taller which allows him to see over defenses. Boat would often get doubled and was not tall enough to make the defense pay by passing over the double to an open player. This fundamentally changed our offense and made our perimeter defense quicker.

Hamilton at four gives up some muscle over the likes of Nolan or Facey, but more than makes up for it in increased offensive efficiency. As an added bonus Hamilton makes Brimah more dangerous.

Reaction Score
Look at losses at Cincy and Houston. Halfway through the ECU game we switched to Samuel starting as a second ball-handling guard. This changed everything.

Starting Samuel has allowed Boat to play off the ball. Samuel is also taller which allows him to see over defenses. Boat would often get doubled and was not tall enough to make the defense pay by passing over the double to an open player. This fundamentally changed our offense and made our perimeter defense quicker.

Hamilton at four gives up some muscle over the likes of Nolan or Facey, but more than makes up for it in increased offensive efficiency. As an added bonus Hamilton makes Brimah more dangerous.
He gives up nothing over Nolan or Facey because hes the best rebounder of the 3 and everything else is a no brainer. If we played him at 4 all year wed be 19-5

Reaction Score
I definitely didn't miss having Kentan out there last night. With the offensive struggles we've had this year we just cant afford to have Kentan out there. Daniel is stepping up in a big way on the glass and his offense speaks for itself. This team is trending up and I couldn't be happier.

Reaction Score
I definitely didn't miss having Kentan out there last night. With the offensive struggles we've had this year we just cant afford to have Kentan out there. Daniel is stepping up in a big way on the glass and his offense speaks for itself. This team is trending up and I couldn't be happier.
I lament Kentan losing minutes because he was probably the biggest UPSIDE surprise of the season with consistent rebounding, always great effort and surprisingly good inside moves on occasion. But no question the team is better with Samuel taking those minutes as Hamilton gets Facey's rebounds and Samuel has playmaking/press-breaking and defensive benefits that all free up Boat to be more productive.

Reaction Score
He gives up nothing over Nolan or Facey because hes the best rebounder of the 3 and everything else is a no brainer. If we played him at 4 all year wed be 19-5
Playing Hamilton at the 4 gives us a scoring option that we didn't have. Facey can not create and lacks a lot of offensive skills. Sam can drive and dish. Putting Hamilton at the 4 opens up the inside for us. You need to respect Hamilton's outside game, this opens up the defense for Sam, Boat, Purvis, etc. I even saw Omar go to the rack a couple of times yesterday.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I assume the reason we couldn't was Hamilton wasn't experienced enough to guard the 4 on the other end of the floor.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Are there any other freshman that could be rookie of the year in the AAC? (Tyson ecu, Clark Cincy?)

Reaction Score
Are there any other freshman that could be rookie of the year in the AAC? (Tyson ecu, Clark Cincy?)
I don't know, but if he finishes the year leading the conference in rebounding along with all the other stuff he does, I'm not sure how you could give it to anyone else.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I don't know, but if he finishes the year leading the conference in rebounding along with all the other stuff he does, I'm not sure how you could give it to anyone else.
I agree if he keeps this play up he should be a lock, just curious to see if there was any real challenger.

Reaction Score
Hamilton leads the conference in defensive rebounds, which is kind of insane. 5th in total boards. 10th in assists. shooting threes at a 38% clip. once he hits his free throws and gets there more often his numbers will look eye popping for a frosh.

Look facey does offer offensive rebounding, (highest % on the squad other than lubin), but that could be made up with samuel and hamilton being more aggressive crashing the glass on O. let boat and purv get back in transition since purvis has tools to be a nice overall defender in the open floor.

this was a big question for everyone coming into the season ( the closing 5 on the floor or getting the most tick) . no doubt the press should be implemented more. gets guys going like hamilton and purvis, not to mention brimah can SPRINT.

Reaction Score
once Daniel can cut down on his turnovers in the open court and consistently knock down the open three pointer he will be a star. The way he can push the ball in transition after he gets a rebound is so crucial for this team especially with the high rate that he has been coming down with them lately. with him at the four it allows guys like Purvis and Samuel to be in a comfortable environment on the fast break.

Reaction Score
Having Brimah actually out there on the floor is big because when Nolan and Facey are out there together scoring is tough. As long as Hamilton can rebound I like the smaller lineup. Of course that depends on AB not getting 2 quick fouls.

Reaction Score

See ... this is the thing. It's NOT only about rebounding. If you are not blocking out & not muscling & not playing solid position defense, we are less likely to win against some Teams. Interior play has facets.

Reaction Score
Hamilton leads the conference in defensive rebounds, which is kind of insane. 5th in total boards. 10th in assists. shooting threes at a 38% clip. once he hits his free throws and gets there more often his numbers will look eye popping for a frosh.
The margin between DHam and the next guy is ridiculous. Hamilton averages 7.4 defensive rebounds a game, and the #2 guy is at 4.8.

As for nationwide, he's the best of the freshmen class with defensive rebounds, and the only freshman in the top 40: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats/rebounds_defensive_avg?season=2014-2015

Reaction Score
The margin between DHam and the next guy is ridiculous. Hamilton averages 7.4 defensive rebounds a game, and the #2 guy is at 4.8.

As for nationwide, he's the best of the freshmen class with defensive rebounds, and the only freshman in the top 40: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats/rebounds_defensive_avg?season=2014-2015
hm. Also if he gets extended minutes at the 4 his offensive boards will shoot up. one of the most under the radar complete players in the country, mainly because he's struggles to hit free throws or draw them more. Hard working defender its hilarious he is absent from draftexpress top 100 prospect list. nuts. Also rebounding is by far the most translatable skill to the next level.

Last edited:

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Hamilton leads the conference in defensive rebounds, which is kind of insane. 5th in total boards. 10th in assists.
Daniel Hamilton is such a gunner that I once had to walk out of the gym in disgust. He only looks out for himself and his shot. I know this because I'm a highly paid college basketball analyst and my ugly face is constantly on TV.

Reaction Score
Daniel Hamilton is such a gunner that I once had to walk out of the gym in disgust. He only looks out for himself and his shot. I know this because I'm a highly paid college basketball analyst and my ugly face is constantly on TV.
he popped up like a gopher on this nba lockdown podcast ( only for amin elhassan) i sometimes listen to, was absolutely disgusted when i recognized his sloth voice. spewing nonsense like he has a personal relationship with derrick rose, only because he saw him play aau essentially.

Cant let biancardi slide either he is pretty crap and joined in on the hamilton shot selection trashing. had no idea he would be an elite rebounder, but some how scouts games?

Reaction Score

I agree, and Samuel looked like a new man last night, he was all over the place getting rebounds and loose balls, taking it in, and looking good as the robin to boatright's Batman. This looked like the setup we saw in 2011 when bazz would come in so kemba could slide off the ball, and last year when boat would run point so bazz could move off the ball.

If he can keep that up, brimah can cut down on a few fouls, totally different team

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I agree, and Samuel looked like a new man last night, he was all over the place getting rebounds and loose balls, taking it in, and looking good as the robin to boatright's Batman. This looked like the setup we saw in 2011 when bazz would come in so kemba could slide off the ball, and last year when boat would run point so bazz could move off the ball.

If he can keep that up, brimah can cut down on a few fouls, totally different team

I agree Samuel has been a lot better and making a big difference. I am really amazed at how well Daniel Hamilton has done at the 4 and on the boards. With him at the 4, we have a guy who can do a lot of things. A big one is the way he can flash to the middle of the zone and then can ooop AB or drive and shoot. We have had a really hard time with zones and having KF or Phil try to do that is just a disaster waiting to happen. This move of dham to the 4 makes this team so much better it is amazing. Rodney is a different player when we are firing on all cylinders and he can play relaxed. VROOOM VROOM, he can really move at times...great speed. A key to the 2014 NC was that team's ability to come out and smack the other team right at the start, put them on the defensive. This group were a little like that last night and it was a breath of fresh air. Great defense that they sustained after taking the initiative. Then Boat came in to fill-in all the gaps and keep the ship steady. (Enough metaphors?)...great game!

Reaction Score
If D-Ham comes back next year he will be a first team AA, IMO.

but there is this narrative champs, NOBODY is talking about his production. i discussed multiple times in this thread and others, its just outrageous. these well known 'scouts' that are viral, they don't have taps on everything i guess. d ham is clearly the best shooting guard prospect in ncaa and nobody is talking about it lmao. he passes, he defends HARD, he has gifted shooting mechanics. and is 6'7. I'm afraid he gets hot and jets this year, lets hope not. but its not out of the realm of possibility. in his new slot at the four he can just catch and shoot treys all day. raise his numbers etc. like nobody knows about this kid but KO is prepping him for a LONG nba career

Reaction Score
Let's not forget the addition by subtraction of Cassell being injured. The tightened up rotation has been a big plus and quite frankly more efficient players are now getting the minutes they deserve. It takes a while each season for coaches to go through different rotations and finally settle on the best 7 or 8. Kudos to KO for tweaking and ultimately getting the lineup correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom