The Jackson screen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Jackson screen

Reaction Score
Probably already said....I prefer Jackson running the point to almost anyone who doesn't have Cole written on his jersey. The kid needs more experience but he's going to likely start at point forward in the NBA, he effects the game so much from there on both ends because he can defend the point too, he was murdering CG last night.

Reaction Score
Main reason to me is Jackson is the one player who can penetrate and kick out to a wing player. He forces the wing defenders to stay with their man. That's why I think a lineup with Jackson, Cole, Hawkins, Polley or Martin and either Whaley or Sanogo is the best offensive lineup. Four out, one in. Martin and Jackson provide plenty of rebounding support for whichever big is in the lineup.

Cole looks for inside dumps or drop offs when he penetrates.

I really don't trust any other UConn player trying to make plays while moving with the ball.
His length also makes him much more effective than Cole at finding Sanogo inside. Not that Cole is a bad passer, but his options to get those passes in are just less at his size.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
also fun to watch the syracuse fans salivating over him:

he probably would either be riding the bench or starting for seton hall if he had gone with cuse over us.
Legit called him a scrub for almost two years up until this game

Reaction Score
Probably already said....I prefer Jackson running the point to almost anyone who doesn't have Cole written on his jersey. The kid needs more experience but he's going to likely start at point forward in the NBA, he effects the game so much from there on both ends because he can defend the point too, he was murdering CG last night.
That shows you how good Nova is as well. We played a pretty great game, maybe our overall best of the season, and they nearly pulled it out.

Reaction Score
That shows you how good Nova is as well. We played a pretty great game, maybe our overall best of the season, and they nearly pulled it out.
Nova came in riding a 5 game win streak and playing their best ball of the season. Other than the turnovers (which we had a lot to do with) I'm not sure how much better Nova can play.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Pretty cool that they ran a play for him on first possession. Looks like that action is open in most games.

That play was absolutely gorgeous. It was harder to spot on TV, but they lobbed OVER Sanogo posting up, clearing out the dunk with help anticipating.

Reaction Score
Looked like Andre was on Gillespie in back court (on last play) but slipped/stumbled around mid-court as he pivoted to stay with him.. Cole then picked him up in front court and picked up the charge.

Was not at game but it looked like some of the time the guys were playing on ice skates due to condensation/moisture on(underneath) the floor. Glad no one got injured/twisted an ankle. Esp at the speed they play.
Frankly, I was embarrassed by the condition of the court. It was dangerously slick/wet— needs to be fixed.

UConn’s in a negotiation year with XL, and they need to use their leverage so that at least the court gets fixed. We can’t have players injured or slipping. How many plays were there were guys went down?

Reaction Score
He's been pushing the ball after rebounds all year, but he was in another gear last night. Nova defenders were terrified, and he was able to find a couple guys on transition threes or under the basket as a result.
He is really fast indeed, hope sometime he just keeps going all the way to the hoop and finishes with a thunderous dunk.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I was embarrassed by the condition of the court. It was dangerously slick/wet— needs to be fixed.

UConn’s in a negotiation year with XL, and they need to use their leverage so that at least the court gets fixed. We can’t have players injured or slipping. How many plays were there were guys went down?
Hurley made a comment about "when they renovate this place" in his post game presser.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He is really fast indeed, hope sometime he just keeps going all the way to the hoop and finishes with a thunderous dunk.
He took off a bit to soon and missed a lay-up early, that seemed to put him off taking it to the rim.

Reaction Score
As the NBA scout said something like:

It's always easier to dial a guy back than to rev him up.

Jackson is still a puppy. All of the stuff that frustrates us about him can be corrected, but everything we love about him, comes from his natural gifts and his heart.

Reaction Score
my favorite player to watch on this team, even if his scoring ability (or lack thereof) can be maddening at times (e.g. on the two-on-one layup he bricked last night).

he set up a relatively similar dribble-handoff three at the end of the last villanova game that was called a moving screen. i thought it was a bs call at the time -- that play could have really swung things for us.

I actually thought last night's screen could have been called as well. It probably would have been earlier in the game.

Reaction Score
X factor!
Doesn’t need to score to affect the game. If he ever gets some offense, even a bs floater in the lane, he’ll be a star.

Reaction Score

If you watch the bottom right. You can see a student slip on her A.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He’s like the best example of a kid who does everything well, except score the ball.

Reaction Score
What's been most interesting to me is that we've all noticed Hawkins progress a ton as a player throughout conference play in spite of the fact that his best skill (his shooting) has been a little off for the better part of the year
Before yesterday Hawkins' first 18 games he shot 32% from 3 and his last 6 games he's shot 41% from 3. So I'm not actually sure that's true. I know it feels that way, but stats show otherwise. He's been taking less 3s, while making pull up jumpers, crashing boards, and playing defense. His potential is sky high and I'm so excited for him next year. He can be a legitimately good perimeter defender, with an elite 3point shot, good rebounding, and drive ability when he improves his handle

Edit: I misread your comment a bit. I initially thought you meant that as everything else has improved so much, his shooting has gotten worse. I didn't catch the part where you said his shooting has been off in general for most of the season (which is totally true). So my stat doesn't really prove anything. I guess it's just a fun fact now lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How about that intentional free throw miss? He treated it like a chest pass and executed it perfectly. I feel like many times players try to miss, they end up making the free throw.
I was going to post the same thing. Very savvy. When the ref passed him the ball he immediately threw it off the backboard instead of first going through his freethrow shooting routine, which totally caught Nova by surprise and left them no chance to heave up a prayer. Great play.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
also fun to watch the syracuse fans salivating over him:

he probably would either be riding the bench or starting for seton hall if he had gone with cuse over us.

lol that thread is so pathetic. The entire objective basketball world is killing the ref today but they all think it was a justified ejection. And they think the charge at the end was a bad call. Cole was there with plenty of time and Gillespie barreled him over. They conveniently ignore the BS free throws Gillespie got late in the 2nd half on a phantom foul call, followed by Cole getting no call on the other end.

Reaction Score
Last time we discussed Andre, I looked up his offense stats both at Albany Academy and with the AAU team City Rocks. His FG% in high school was 69%; his AAU percentage was 68%. Tells you a lot. He was so dominant and quick that his usual scoring (always high teens) was layups and dunks. His 3 point percentage was also decent; but we have seen that set shot enough. Net Net - he started with a better toolkit than a Dennis Rodman or others we can imagine in the mode. I know he is a worker. And yes, we all should agree: he has a great basketball IQ. We should see advances in his offense and touch over the next 2 years. I do think going strong to the hoop is the first thing you whisper to him at the start of every game. Dunk; or take contact to finish.

Reaction Score
Before yesterday Hawkins' first 18 games he shot 32% from 3 and his last 6 games he's shot 41% from 3. So I'm not actually sure that's true. I know it feels that way, but stats show otherwise. He's been taking less 3s, while making pull up jumpers, crashing boards, and playing defense. His potential is sky high and I'm so excited for him next year. He can be a legitimately good perimeter defender, with an elite 3point shot, good rebounding, and drive ability when he improves his handle

Edit: I misread your comment a bit. I initially thought you meant that as everything else has improved so much, his shooting has gotten worse. I didn't catch the part where you said his shooting has been off in general for most of the season (which is totally true). So my stat doesn't really prove anything. I guess it's just a fun fact now lol

Still interesting. i didn't check any stats, just what it had felt like from watching. He's actually shooting at a higher percentage than I'd have guessed.

Reaction Score
He needs one more dribble on most of his drives and not shy away from contact. Learning a jump stop would help also.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's been pushing the ball after rebounds all year, but he was in another gear last night. Nova defenders were terrified, and he was able to find a couple guys on transition threes or under the basket as a result.
Said for a couple months now, after the press wrecked us vs MSU and VCU, Jackson is a one man press break. His speed with the ball, vision and accuracy on long passes makes it really dangerous to do anything but get back on D. We play so much better when we don't burn 15 seconds before getting into our offense.

Reaction Score
Said for a couple months now, after the press wrecked us vs MSU and VCU, Jackson is a one man press break. His speed with the ball, vision and accuracy on long passes makes it really dangerous to do anything but get back on D. We play so much better when we don't burn 15 seconds before getting into our offense.
Not to mention that he has opposing defenses on their heels getting back.. Very few SFs can keep up with him and less athletic 2 guards don't have a chance defending him in the open court once he's taken his first few steps up court

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom