The Jackson screen | The Boneyard

The Jackson screen

Reaction Score
Jackson affects the game in many small, often invisible, ways. He made a huge invisible play last night.

Trailing by four, Cole inbounded to Jackson, who dribbled to the right side and dribble handed off to Polley behind the arc. Polley's man is followiing but he runs into a complete road block set by Jackson. It's a thing of beauty. Polley gets space. You know the rest.

When watching Huskies, there are just so many valuable things Jackson does that do not end up in the box score. Just pointing one of them out.

Reaction Score
Jackson does basically everything well EXCEPT score. It's always a huge risk to play him with Whaley because of that... too many non-scorers on the court. They just both make up for it by being ridiculously talented defenders.

I think next year without someone as talented as Whaley defensively at the 4, we need to play our best scorer and shooter. That will maximize Jackson's playmaking abilities and hide his lack of offense.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Most impressive was how well he stayed in front of Gillespie. Not 100% but well enough to contain him. Also wasn't forcing his shot except on that weird underhanded scoop from the foul line. I kept waiting for him to hoist an ill advised 3 at the wrong time, butnhe never did. All of the guys played within the offense really well the entire game.

Had a huge defensive rebound down the stretch as well. Thought the T was unwarranted if technically accurate.

Reaction Score
He's been pushing the ball after rebounds all year, but he was in another gear last night. Nova defenders were terrified, and he was able to find a couple guys on transition threes or under the basket as a result.

Reaction Score
He's been pushing the ball after rebounds all year, but he was in another gear last night. Nova defenders were terrified, and he was able to find a couple guys on transition threes or under the basket as a result.

I really like the play where Polley runs to the left corner as Jackson pushes and RJ runs to the right wing... AJ hits ahead to RJ, who drives to his right hand... he either kicks it to Polley for the 3 or has enough space to get a left-hand layup. That play is SUPER effective for us, and only work if we can have AJ rebound and push FAST.

Reaction Score
The team is best when he's running the point and facilitating like he did yesterday. It allows Cole to play off-ball and really stretch the defense and allow him to work on getting open. If he can develop his scoring a bit more, he's going to be absolutely lethal. His defense was also phenomenal last night.

Reaction Score
The team is best when he's running the point and facilitating like he did yesterday. It allows Cole to play off-ball and really stretch the defense and allow him to work on getting open. If he can develop his scoring a bit more, he's going to be absolutely lethal. His defense was also phenomenal last night.
If Cole doesn't come back, you have to assume Jackson will be the full time PG next year. And he's going to be killer in that role, provided we have shooters.

Reaction Score
Obviously the final play overshadows all else but Jackson (and Hawkins) were better on Gillespie than Cole most of the night
Looked like Andre was on Gillespie in back court (on last play) but slipped/stumbled around mid-court as he pivoted to stay with him.. Cole then picked him up in front court and picked up the charge.

Was not at game but it looked like some of the time the guys were playing on ice skates due to condensation/moisture on(underneath) the floor. Glad no one got injured/twisted an ankle. Esp at the speed they play.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jackson does basically everything well EXCEPT score. It's always a huge risk to play him with Whaley because of that... too many non-scorers on the court. They just both make up for it by being ridiculously talented defenders.

I think next year without someone as talented as Whaley defensively at the 4, we need to play our best scorer and shooter. That will maximize Jackson's playmaking abilities and hide his lack of offense.
I fully expect AJ the show the same dedication to his game that he showed over this past summer and I am hopeful that that will translate into some improvement in his offensive game.

We don’t need AJ to be RJ Cole. We just need him to be a serviceable offense of player who the opposing team needs to guard. I think he will get there.

Reaction Score
I’ll play devil’s advocate here a little, while prefacing I love AJ’s game, I played a lot like him in my past, obviously minus the other worldy athleticism.

He needs to be stronger at the rim; For a guy who is able to jump over anyone, he avoids contact like the plague and settles for low percentage floaters way too much.

He also plays defense 35 ft from the hoop and often gets beat on the bounce, as most defenders would to be fair. But he doesn’t need to guard all the way out there so much. Getting beat leads to penetration and open 3’s too much.

As I said, I love his overall game, just a few concerns.

Reaction Score
my favorite player to watch on this team, even if his scoring ability (or lack thereof) can be maddening at times (e.g. on the two-on-one layup he bricked last night).

he set up a relatively similar dribble-handoff three at the end of the last villanova game that was called a moving screen. i thought it was a bs call at the time -- that play could have really swung things for us.

Reaction Score
also fun to watch the syracuse fans salivating over him:

he probably would either be riding the bench or starting for seton hall if he had gone with cuse over us.

Reaction Score
Pretty cool that they ran a play for him on first possession. Looks like that action is open in most games.

Reaction Score
I’ll play devil’s advocate here a little, while prefacing I love AJ’s game, I played a lot like him in my past, obviously minus the other worldy athleticism.

He needs to be stronger at the rim; For a guy who is able to jump over anyone, he avoids contact like the plague and settles for low percentage floaters way too much.

He also plays defense 35 ft from the hoop and often gets beat on the bounce, as most defenders would to be fair. But he doesn’t need to guard all the way out there so much. Getting beat leads to penetration and open 3’s too much.

As I said, I love his overall game, just a few concerns.
I don't think that is playing devil's advocate. He has holes in his game on the offensive end (both shooting and getting to/finish at the rim). I don't think anyone including he or Hurley would give any pushback on that. If he cleans up those, he's an all-BE player.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Main reason to me is Jackson is the one player who can penetrate and kick out to a wing player. He forces the wing defenders to stay with their man. That's why I think a lineup with Jackson, Cole, Hawkins, Polley or Martin and either Whaley or Sanogo is the best offensive lineup. Four out, one in. Martin and Jackson provide plenty of rebounding support for whichever big is in the lineup.

Cole looks for inside dumps or drop offs when he penetrates.

I really don't trust any other UConn player trying to make plays while moving with the ball.

Reaction Score
IMO, he has shown the biggest improvement from last year.
You can see the maturity more both physically and mentally along with him showing more swagger and passion.

It seems it’s more of a purpose this year for him and he will only be getting better.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, was this the first game with the hair do he sported last night?

As a follickly challenged person I won't even try to guess or apply name tags to his different hair do's throughout the season but he was rocking some Josh Boone looking hair last night.

Good luck for rest of season??

Reaction Score
Hawkins is really coming along as a defender

What's been most interesting to me is that we've all noticed Hawkins progress a ton as a player throughout conference play in spite of the fact that his best skill (his shooting) has been a little off for the better part of the year

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
also fun to watch the syracuse fans salivating over him:

he probably would either be riding the bench or starting for seton hall if he had gone with cuse over us.
I read that thread. They just sound so sad over there. It’s as if all their pluck and grit is gone. Oh well, it’s a difficult time in Canada right now and I’m sure that weighs heavily upon them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom