The Jackson play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Jackson play

Reaction Score
Forget this play, remember when UConn figured out they could break the press by throwing it deep to Jackson even though he was double covered? Has the kid ever played football before and if not - why?
I wondered how good he would be at football but I don't think he ever played. Both his parents played hoops. I think it was basketball all the time.

"He began playing basketball when he was 5 years old. His mother, Tricia, coached a team at the YMCA in Amsterdam, and she would bring Andre along to the gym. From the second he picked up a basketball, Andre says he was hooked."

Reaction Score

he had the somewhat similar (and equally freaky) play last year where he came out of nowhere to block a lob-dunk attempt against LIU.

i think the fact that this iowa state play was on the big stage and that he somehow managed to retain possession makes it even more impressive though. he does something crazy basically every game.

When you watch that video you can see why DH says AJ will be an NBA point guard. Passes on the money, whether they're bounce passes, lobs, two hand chest passes, no looks or whatever.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
@navery12 posted something about Hurley saying he was working on conditioning and shaking off offensive rust.
Conditioning looks good, 24 > 27 > 33mins last three games. Only Karaban played more against Iowa (38!).

Also late game he made a hockey pass, I think to Clingan or Karaban for an easy score - in the replay Walton was joking how he must have felt the breeze from the Iowa players to make that pass because I don't think he ever looked towards the receiver. I did not like that between the legs pass he made early though but I think we all agree AJ is always going to make at least one insane pass attempt per game :D

Reaction Score
It would be completely unfair to all other teams if Andre was more skilled offensively.
It's really just the shooting right now, right? His handle is good, his vision is exceptional, he knows how to exist in space. Everything about his offensive game at his size is really really skilled. Except the shooting.

Reaction Score
It's really just the shooting right now, right? His handle is good, his vision is exceptional, he knows how to exist in space. Everything about his offensive game at his size is really really skilled. Except the shooting.
He did have a long three pointer towards the end of 2nd half. I don't remember the shooting form however.

Reaction Score
No doubt he is a tremendous athlete and competitor. I'm looking forward to him becoming a better basketball player though. With this team and the number of shooters he can still be very valuable without it, but I would love to see it. When he gets the ball on the perimeter and puts it on the floor, 90% of the time the result is a pass. He has to mix it up some more. The difference this year is that now, the people he's passing to can knock down shots.

Reaction Score
Nah, his finishing is still subpar. He gets by people on straight line drives to the rim and either chucks it out or double pumps at the rim instead of using his athleticism and body to score through his man.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Nah, his finishing is still subpar. He gets by people on straight line drives to the rim and either chucks it out or double pumps at the rim instead of using his athleticism and body to score through his man.
Agreed. He ends going with a finesse finish when it should be power. I don’t think it’ll be long before we start seeing him posterize people.

Reaction Score

He also has a really clunky drive, and lacks touch. He's basically good at everything but putting the ball in the hoop. It's weird.

Reaction Score
A lot of people, myself included want him to become a scoring threat, but so far, Jackson as is, may just be exactly what this team needs. This may sound crazy but this team plays good with his energy and chaos. Obviously it works against us too but I’m liking this ride so far.

Reaction Score
No doubt he is a tremendous athlete and competitor. I'm looking forward to him becoming a better basketball player though. With this team and the number of shooters he can still be very valuable without it, but I would love to see it. When he gets the ball on the perimeter and puts it on the floor, 90% of the time the result is a pass. He has to mix it up some more. The difference this year is that now, the people he's passing to can knock down shots.
This is way underselling him. He’s one of the premier defenders in college basketball, a great rebounder, a very good ball handler and facilitator, and has great BBIQ (just watch him without the ball). His scoring ability is lacking, though I was encouraged by him putting the ball on the deck and driving at guys several times yesterday, but to distill him to a great athlete and competitor is just not right.

Reaction Score
This is way underselling him. He’s one of the premier defenders in college basketball, a great rebounder, a very good ball handler and facilitator, and has great BBIQ (just watch him without the ball). His scoring ability is lacking, though I was encouraged by him putting the ball on the deck and driving at guys several times yesterday, but to distill him to a great athlete and competitor is just not right.
I agree.

Reaction Score
AJ is the beast, the predator, a motivator, a best friend, reliable, and he is of the mold you have never seen before. He doesn't sweat, he doesn't regret, he will antagonize, disturb, disrupt, and ruin your perfect shot. When he is on the floor noone is safe. Move, get out of the way and be ready for something you've never seen.

Reaction Score
I think we all saw this and said how the hell did he do that? He had an insane block right after this that was wrongly called a goaltend. He does some things that nobody else in college basketball can do...

It happened very fast. And you kinda lose Jackson a bit with the backboard and crowd sorta in frame.

Not sure where that pass was going. The ISU player who I assume was supposed to finish stopped running. I suspect one player recognized we were back and there was no break opportunity. The ball handler didn't quite recognize that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He kinda looked like one of the kids in "Peter Pan" but without the wire attached.

Reaction Score
Andre is a tremendously gifted athlete that does stuff that we haven't seen before.. And will continue to. I think the refs occasionally blow the whistle in anticipation of a foul and get blind-sided by clean plays or another crazy skill shown/play made... Their pants are around their ankles. Nuff said.. Enjoy him while we have him.

Reaction Score
What guard can get 13 rebounds in a game where you have twin towers on your team like we do? Insane.

Reaction Score
Fans who can, need to see this show in person. Last year I was able to get down into the lower bowl at Gampel for one second half. He is great from the upper reaches but at that level it was really something. No one should be not supporting this team in person if tickets are available. Life is short.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom