The Inside Story of How the USMNT Missed the 2018 World Cup | The Boneyard

The Inside Story of How the USMNT Missed the 2018 World Cup

Reaction Score
Own Goal: The Inside Story of How the USMNT Missed the 2018 World Cup

This is basically a long (very long) beat down of Klinsmann and Gelati with a little inside stuff.

That whole article is garbage. Typical media protecting the establishment and going after the evil German.

Our players let us down. I’m so sick of the media giving pussbag Bradley a free pass. We should have his legs amputated to make sure he never plays for us again.

Reaction Score
Weak sauce. The MLS establishment, the root cause of the mess, is barely mentioned.

That’s because MLS probably commissioned the article.

I wish their executives would die in a plane crash or something. We’re screwed as long as they control USSF.

Reaction Score
That whole article is garbage. Typical media protecting the establishment and going after the evil German.

Our players let us down. I’m so sick of the media giving pussbag Bradley a free pass. We should have his legs amputated to make sure he never plays for us again.

Seriously -- even on an anonymous message board, what makes someone say something like that.

Reaction Score
Seriously -- even on an anonymous message board, what makes someone say something like that.

Hand me the saw.

Seriously, if Arena just had the sense to rotate his starters then this article doesn’t get written.

Reaction Score
If Sunil were at least casually interested in the sport ... he would have read Philipp Lahm's book ...

And ironically he sealed our fate when he fired Jurgen and hired hubris laden Bruce Arena. Even a 14 year old playing FIFA 18 would know enough to rotate his MLS laden starters going into T&T, considering all of them had thousands of minutes in their legs after a long MLS season.

Reaction Score
And ironically he sealed our fate when he fired Jurgen and hired hubris laden Bruce Arena. Even a 14 year old playing FIFA 18 would know enough to rotate his MLS laden starters going into T&T, considering all of them had thousands of minutes in their legs after a long MLS season.

Agree 100% about the lack of roster rotation ... and the icing on the cake was leaving Cameron on the bench for both games!

Reaction Score
Agree 100% about the lack of roster rotation ... and the icing on the cake was leaving Cameron on the bench for both games!

That's still the mistake I don't get. Over the course of the four year cycle between World Cups, you can easily make the case he was our best player.

That having been said, the players weren't good enough under Klinsman and the players weren't good enough under Arena. At some point, you don't have to be a math professor to spot the obvious pattern. Hopefully, over the course of the next cycle our talent develops better.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, over the course of the next cycle our talent develops better.

Based on the clubs our guys are emerging at and signing with, we're aiming at a golden age in time for Qatar

Reaction Score
Based on the clubs our guys are emerging at and signing with, we're aiming at a golden age in time for Qatar
Minimally, that's the latest version of our 4-year aspirational dreams

Reaction Score
That's still the mistake I don't get. Over the course of the four year cycle between World Cups, you can easily make the case he was our best player.

That having been said, the players weren't good enough under Klinsman and the players weren't good enough under Arena. At some point, you don't have to be a math professor to spot the obvious pattern. Hopefully, over the course of the next cycle our talent develops better.

spot on, there was and is a huge talent gap, doubt any coach in the world could have coached that group of players up.

Reaction Score
spot on, there was and is a huge talent gap, doubt any coach in the world could have coached that group of players up.

Arena couldn’t.

We should beat T&T with our C Team. They literally have starters that are playing in the UDL.

Reaction Score
Arena couldn’t.

We should beat T&T with our C Team. They literally have starters that are playing in the UDL.

Good thing the WC is returning to North America, i am not confident we even qualify for 2022.

Reaction Score
The 2 positions where we need quality have non, holding and attacking mid.

Reaction Score
You don't think we're going to 2022? Look at the players breaking through in Europe right now. It's a different breed - euro academies, first team apps, champions league, hunger

Reaction Score
Good thing the WC is returning to North America, i am not confident we even qualify for 2022.

Arena lost to T&T with 9 MLS players. I am thinking Klinsmann was 100% right.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You guys are using reason we wouldn't have advanced for the reason we didn't qualify.

The reason we didn't qualify is because we couldn't score agaisnt T&T. Something anyone worthy of qualifying should do. It's on the players. No one else.

Reaction Score
Let me correct / clarify the last couple posts.... we lost to T&T’s B or C team... let that sink in for a second. T&T did not have their top 11 out there. That loss is absolutely on the players. No heart that night, sorry. They shouldn’t need Arena (or anyone else) getting them up or organized for that game. And a couple questionable starting 11 decisions aside, it’s on the players. The total Hex result is on JK, BA, and the players. Disgraceful all around.

Reaction Score
Let me correct / clarify the last couple posts.... we lost to T&T’s B or C team... let that sink in for a second. T&T did not have their top 11 out there. That loss is absolutely on the players. No heart that night, sorry. They shouldn’t need Arena (or anyone else) getting them up or organized for that game. And a couple questionable starting 11 decisions aside, it’s on the players. The total Hex result is on JK, BA, and the players. Disgraceful all around.

We should have been able to send 15 guys with no manager and still win that match.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom