The infamous 92-93 Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The infamous 92-93 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
You are correct. I was also at the Louisville game. I believe it was on St. Patrick's day. Louisville had an Irish sounding (name) player as the star of their team and some wag said that UConn could never beat them on St. Patrick's day.

Kelly Rose maybe?

I was also at the Rac in '94 when Tonya Sampson? from NC punched Jen in the stomach, a dirty play not seen by the refs.

I was at that game, too. I either didn't see that or don't remember that.

This I'm not sure of but I believe that Kathy Ferrier and Tonya Boone were also on the '93 team.

Oh yes, this is true. My wife and I still joke about the memory of Kathy Ferrier "leading" the "break" a few times. Think about a tree but slower :D

The Huskies were not a very good team that year.

Definitely. They were okay but just not nearly good enough to beat Miami (or the previous year).

Oh, and Vanderbilt ended UConn's '91-'92 season. The game was played at Auburn. No, they didn't send the band. We were pissed.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
That was back when they were still mortals.

There was even a year in the late 80s where the men were happy to go to the NIT

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
For those of us who starting watching in the Dee years, this is so interesting. Thanks for not only history from the stat sheets, but from living memories.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We became good in the early nineties, first championship in 95, then it seems a string of critical injuries (and Tenn.) kept them from winning several championships for the rest of the nineties. (injuries to Nykesha, Svetlana, Shea. Sue Bird, Shea)

Funny. When someone posted they started watching in the Dee era. I thought they meant former men's Coach Dee Rowe. I thought they went back to the 1970s like me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I believe the term "infamous" was applied only because so many of the team records like two consecutive losses, consecutive, sweet 16 appearances, etc. seem to have begun from that season. Nothing more.

Maybe not, but "infamous" is an inflammatory word. That was a team that was coming off the graduation of it's first superstar player. They played hard and won a lot of games. Very poor choice of words.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If I was going to set up a line of demarcation for when the UConn era began, I would still include the Bascom years.

You have to. Without those teams you don't get Lobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom