The incredible UConn streak of seasons. . . | The Boneyard

The incredible UConn streak of seasons. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . since they last lost two games back-to-back is one that stacks up with Cy Young, Bill Russell/Celtics, Wooden/UCLA. Someone please refresh my memory. I think it's 17 seasons and a jillion games but I need to nail the numbers down.

I think it is highly unlikely that UConn will lose two straight for at least the next couple seasons.

Please, someone, give me (and other 'Yarders) a precise accounting. Thanks.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think it's 19 seasons. I believe the last time Uconn lost two games in a row was to end the 1992-93 season.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
More data:

Indeed, it was 1992-93 that UConn last lost two games in a row. The Huskies have since played 693 games without dropping consecutive games. The only time that streak was in real danger was 12/1/04, when UConn needed overtime to beat USF after losing to UNC on 11/21.

UConn's season opener for 1997-98 was also not a wow moment, winning by a relatively scant 11 points over Holy Cross. No real danger of losing though. On 1/17/04, UConn beat BC 69-61 after losing to Notre Dame on 1/13. I imagine C of C is not going to pose much of a threat to end this streak at the start of the 2012-13 season.

Other things that haven't happened since the conclusion of the 1992-93 season:

• UConn failing to make the Sweet 16
  • UConn failing to win at least 25 games
  • UConn failing to win some version of the Big East conference (be it regular season, BET, or both)
  • UConn failing to finish in the top 10 in the final poll
And most of the time, UConn has accomplished far more than those minimum thresholds. Truly, an incredible run of success.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
More data:
  • UConn failing to make the Sweet 16
  • UConn failing to win at least 25 games
  • UConn failing to win some version of the Big East conference (be it regular season, BET, or both)
  • UConn failing to finish in the top 10 in the final poll

Each one of those on its own would be a pretty amazing streak to hold for 19 years and still counting......having all 4 is really someting.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Another current UConn streak is consecutive Final Fours. Both UConn and Stanford have been to the last 5 FFs and looking to make it 6 straight in New Orleans next year. Geno is the only coach to guide his team to 5 straight FFs twice. To put this streak in context, the Lady Vols have gone 4 consecutive seasons without a FF appearance.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
In 2004-05, Uconn went 25-8, won the conference tourney, lost in the Sweet 16, and finished #10 in the final poll. Most programs would kill for that result. Others would consider that an average season. For a select few others, it'd be a disappointing result, but still much better than some seasons they have had in recent memory. For Uconn, that is BY FAR the worst season the program has had in 19 years. And coming off three consecutive NCs, one could hardly complain...though I imagine some people did.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
In 2004-05, Uconn went 25-8, won the conference tourney, lost in the Sweet 16, and finished #10 in the final poll. Most programs would kill for that result. Others would consider that an average season. For a select few others, it'd be a disappointing result, but still much better than some seasons they have had in recent memory. For Uconn, that is BY FAR the worst season the program has had in 19 years. And coming off three consecutive NCs, one could hardly complain...though I imagine some people did.

I take it you were not here then.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It fell into the category of unmitigated disaster. :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I take it you were not here then.
I was not. I was being diplomatic; I'm sure it was as if the apocalypse was upon us. My point was that you'd have to be pretty entitled to go off the deep end after five straight F4s and four titles during that stretch.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was not. I was being diplomatic; I'm sure it was as if the apocalypse was upon us. My point was that you'd have to be pretty entitled to go off the deep end after five straight F4s and four titles during that stretch.
Several of those 8 losses were winnable. Close games against Rutgers when we couldn't score or rebound. One to ND, who could not score on us in the half court, but stole enough telegraphed passes for easy buckets to win. It did not look like UConn basketball at all.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Geno was REALLY discouraged that year....

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

That gave rise to the all-time great Genoism. "I knew that when Diana left, that the party was over. What I didn't realize is that the lights went out, the door was padlocked, and the building was condemned."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As we all were. It was a dark time, the dark days. But we all must, at some time, travel through the valley of death.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As we all were. It was a dark time, the dark days. But we all must, at some time, travel through the valley of death.

During my military service, I had a close relationship with one Charlie Beckwith. He was selected to lead the ill-fated raid into Iran to free the hostages and he was selected because he was the single toughest and most inspirational troop leader in the US Army.

Charlie's mantra was, "Yea, though I walk thrugh the valley of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the nastiest sonofabitch in that valley."

And he was.

Reaction Score
During my military service, I had a close relationship with one Charlie Beckwith. He was selected to lead the ill-fated raid into Iran to free the hostages and he was selected because he was the single toughest and most inspirational troop leader in the US Army.

Charlie's mantra was, "Yea, though I walk thrugh the valley of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the nastiest sonofabitch in that valley."

And he was.

Seems to be some confusion between the "valley of death" (Charge of the Light Brigade) and "valley of the shadow of death" (23rd Psalm)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Seems to be some confusion between the "valley of death" (Charge of the Light Brigade) and "valley of the shadow of death" (23rd Psalm)

Good catch. Charlie was not known for precise attribution of literary sources. But he was one helluva warrior!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom