The improvement of Inês Bettencourt | The Boneyard

The improvement of Inês Bettencourt

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’ve been really impressed with how well Ines is improving from game to game. I like her demeanor - she’s very poised, even when being pressed, and never seems to be out of control. Years ago, Geno said, “Be quick, don’t be fast”, meaning move quickly but under control and with purpose. To me, Ines is showing quickness. Her offense is rounding into shape nicely.

I think Ines is a diamond in the rough who’s shining a little sooner than expected due to the injuries. Great pickup by Geno & Co.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ines' biggest improvement to date, and this was clearly her best game, is her poise. When you have poise and you're certain of your assignments and you understand the strengths and weaknesses of those around you that's when the game slows down. The kind of incremental improvements Ines is making is far superior to some players that make great leaps then fall back toward their personal mean. It's good to see.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Ines is a pleasant surprise. More so, her improvement since the Princeton game is noteworthy.

She didn't get rattled in the Princeton game. She doesn't get rattled now. Her game is legit. She can make the assist, definitely a very good foul shooter and that one from the corner tonight was a thing of beauty.

She is not going to be just a bench warmer. She can play. She will be a regular part of the rotation, not only the year, but for the next three.

Reaction Score
I’ve been really impressed with how well Ines is improving from game to game. I like her demeanor - she’s very poised, even when being pressed, and never seems to be out of control. Years ago, Geno said, “Be quick, don’t be fast”, meaning move quickly but under control and with purpose. To me, Ines is showing quickness. Her offense is rounding into shape nicely.

I think Ines is a diamond in the rough who’s shining a little sooner than expected due to the injuries. Great pickup by Geno & Co.
HMMM...“Be quick, don’t be fast”...wasn't that Wooden? Nonetheless, its important!

Reaction Score

quick feet, sturdily built but speedy, good on the defensive switches. And appears to be a great teammate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And, by he way, one of the "side" benefits of having CD running things is, the bench gets more playing time, and that's only going to help as the season plays out.:cool:
I wonder how much of that is just borne of necessity? I’m not ambitious enough to do a minute distribution of work she looking at the number of available players and the distribution. but I would certainly read it if someone else did. :)

Reaction Score
I wonder how much of that is just borne of necessity? I’m not ambitious enough to do a minute distribution of work she looking at the number of available players and the distribution. but I would certainly read it if someone else did. :)
Would agree, but, Geno doesn't seem quite as ready to use the bench, despite the urging of many on the boneyard:D. Unfortunately, its tough to improve without court time. One of the keys to success for any athlete - or team of players - is playing time - the game doesn't "slow down" for a player without repetition. And, as HuskyNan points out, Ines' improvement has been impressive! For the most part, I'd credit that to, not only more time working with the team, but, more "game time".

Reaction Score
I first noticed her ability to learn our defensive switching on screens in her previous game. Now she has been observing how even the bigs cheat on the passing lanes. Dorka is starting to do it as well and then driving full court for a layup. Ines has perfect form on her 3 pointers. Until Azzi get back and with Caroline out we need another shooter. I think she can do the job. She is gaining confidence of her teamates as well.

Reaction Score
Yes!! I am just happy that Ines is getting some floor time. Every minute Ines gets, it helps improve her confidence and it saves the wear and tear on Nika. Plus, makes the overall team stronger with that depth.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
4BBA0C94-4942-4121-9F30-6697B855C8A4.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Would agree, but, Geno doesn't seem quite as ready to use the bench, despite the urging of many on the boneyard:D. Unfortunately, it’s tough to improve without court time. One of the keys to success for any athlete - or team of players - is playing time - the game doesn't "slow down" for a player without repetition. And, as HuskyNan points out, Ines' improvement has been impressive! For the most part, I'd credit that too, not only more time working with the team, but, more "game time".
Would Caroline have shined so early without the additional playing time last year?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I first noticed her ability to learn our defensive switching on screens in her previous game. Now she has been observing how even the bigs cheat on the passing lanes. Dorka is starting to do it as well and then driving full court for a layup. Ines has perfect form on her 3 pointers. Until Azzi get back and with Caroline out we need another shooter. I think she can do the job. She is gaining confidence of her teamates as well.
Ines clearly had good coaching before UConn because her fundamentals are so strong. I think she naturally has a high basketball IQ, though. She was watching the shot clock at the end of the first half and knew she had time for just a catch-and-shoot. I’ve seen upperclassmen fumble around with time expiring but Ines stay calm and took the shot, with just a second to prepare herself mentally. As I said, I’m impressed

Reaction Score
Definite offensive improvement. She needs to work on her defense though. She lost her man several times out there last night.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thanks Nan. What I was envisioning was a game by game analysis of the distribution of minutes based upon available players. There’s only 200 minutes to go around, so with everyone, healthy, it becomes more difficult to give depth pieces “experience”.

Reaction Score

She's a keeper for sure.

Reaction Score
Ines is a pleasant surprise. More so, her improvement since the Princeton game is noteworthy.

She didn't get rattled in the Princeton game. She doesn't get rattled now. Her game is legit. She can make the assist, definitely a very good foul shooter and that one from the corner tonight was a thing of beauty.

She is not going to be just a bench warmer. She can play. She will be a regular part of the rotation, not only the year, but for the next three.
Based on who's coming next year I'm not so sure about what her role will be going forward.........my hope is that KK Arnold is going to be a high-impact cross between Crystal and Moriah.........time will tell.......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom