The importance of the Michigan game. | The Boneyard

The importance of the Michigan game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This game represents a huge opportunity. Certain things must happen ensure its success.

First, the place must be sold out. Not a seat in the house should be empty and there should be anecdotal stories about it being one of the toughest tickets in the state.

Two, the university must make sure that media credentials are made available and used by New York and Boston media outlets. I would make promises to get them to attend. Re-institute the horde. A media crush is required. Promise them free food, that usually works.

Work ESPN so that Brady Hoke and his star players are featured on Friday. Hoke probably can't do a car wash but he needs to be prominent while he is in Connecticut. This visit needs to be seen as a national media opportunity. ESPN owes us one (more than one). Make this happen.

Treat Michigan first class. Don't take anything for granted and be prepared to solve problems. Make them feel this was the best road trip of the year. Be nice.

Play competitively. Win.

Warde and crew should consider this to be a dry run for inclusion in the Big Ten. We need to come off big time. More like Ohio State than like Indiana.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hey man! This is Connecticut, we have option(s) for our entertainment dollar, you're talking crazy!

Seriously though, I agree with everything you said. If this game is anything less than a huge success for things we can control it is a complete and total failure by UConn and the fanbase.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Keep it within 50 and open the lots thursday night and close them sunday afternoon.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This has all the makings of Fiesta Bowl Backlash II: Electric Boogaloo.

I will hold this as a litmus test for the AD and PP. We better be ready. I don't want any excuses for a poor showing.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Michigan fans will buy all available even if it means buying season tickets. Our season tickets are relatively cheap. Many school with big time following will do this. The tickets for the games they don't go to will show up on stub hub

Reaction Score
Has the date been confirmed yet? Hope it's the Thursday night before labor day weekend :( or only on ESPN3

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Isn't this what WM was hired for? If he really needs to be told this, we are in worse trouble than we imagined.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Michigan fans will buy all available even if it means buying season tickets. Our season tickets are relatively cheap. Many school with big time following will do this. The tickets for the games they don't go to will show up on stub hub

I'm thinking the same thing. UConn Marketing really needs to emphasize this point. You want to see Michigan? Buy season tickets. Because if you don't, somebody from Michigan will. UConn needs to do everything it can to ensure that the maize and blue are contained to the visiting team's sections and not spattered all over the stadium. That would look horrendous for us on TV aerials. Instantly become a Temple punchline during Penn State/Temple games at Lincoln Financial.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm thinking the same thing. UConn Marketing really needs to emphasize this point. You want to see Michigan? Buy season tickets. Because if you don't, somebody from Michigan will.

I know of at least two Michigan alums that I work with that are planning this very thing. I hope that we are able to keep the "maize" in the audience to a bare minimum...

Reaction Score
This game represents a huge opportunity. Certain things must happen ensure its success.

First, the place must be sold out. Not a seat in the house should be empty and there should be anecdotal stories about it being one of the toughest tickets in the state.

Two, the university must make sure that media credentials are made available and used by New York and Boston media outlets. I would make promises to get them to attend. Re-institute the horde. A media crush is required. Promise them free food, that usually works.

Work ESPN so that Brady Hoke and his star players are featured on Friday. Hoke probably can't do a car wash but he needs to be prominent while he is in Connecticut. This visit needs to be seen as a national media opportunity. ESPN owes us one (more than one). Make this happen.

Treat Michigan first class. Don't take anything for granted and be prepared to solve problems. Make them feel this was the best road trip of the year. Be nice.

Play competitively. Win.

Warde and crew should consider this to be a dry run for inclusion in the Big Ten. We need to come off big time. More like Ohio State than like Indiana.

Invite Jim Delany and other B1G officials. Add temporary seating and increase the Michigan seat allotment.

Reaction Score
Invite Jim Delany and other B1G officials. Add temporary seating and increase the Michigan seat allotment.
Seating the UConn band on the field in temporary seating and selling Section 114 to increase capacity (either UConn or Michigan fans) is a great idea. Our athletic department would never come up with it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Seating the UConn band on the field in temporary seating and selling Section 114 to increase capacity (either UConn or Michigan fans) is a great idea. Our athletic department would never come up with it.

It seems so obvious, doesn't it? Move band on the field and construct temporary bleachers at the happy hour area. UConn can then pimp up the game as setting a Rentschler Field attendance record (a bit of positive news that the program needs during CR)...similar to how we ushered in the new Bigger House. Good PR and create some excitement around here.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
We're talking Michigan, it'll be a sellout if they have to fill The Rent themselves.

I'm an optimist so I say we squeak out a W. Just hope it's in front of a "home" crowd.

Reaction Score
It seems so obvious, doesn't it? Move band on the field and construct temporary bleachers at the happy hour area. UConn can then pimp up the game as setting a Rentschler Field attendance record (a bit of positive news that the program needs during CR)...similar to how we ushered in the new Bigger House. Good PR and create some ****ing excitement around here.

If our athletic department fails to do something this obvious, you really have to wonder what sorts of things they are also failing to do behind the scenes.

Reaction Score
Moving our band for Michigan fans is simply out of the question. I hate to use dumb or stupid but nobody in our band should give up their seat for an opposing fan.
What the school should be doing is lining up youth league teams and high school teams that could use tickets on short notice to fill empty seats, and build a fan base.

Reaction Score
Seating the UConn band on the field in temporary seating and selling Section 114 to increase capacity.
Exactly. Put the band on the field, it worked fine at the Nd game, and open up those seats to UConn students.

Reaction Score
Yeah this is a huge game for UCONN and it's fanbase. If we get pounded by 40+ HCPP is one step closer to being EX HCPP(dare to dream).

In all seriousness this game should be a sellout with tickets being very hard to come by. I don't want to see half the place in maze and blue.

Reaction Score
My ongoing question of what will it take to have our fans in their seats by kickoff will be answered on that day. Despite the attraction of playing Michigan, when the TV sets come on, will there be lots of empty seats, making us look not so serious about our football? Will many of our more clueless fans still be enjoying their brews in the parking lot or wandering in the stadium alcoves? While I hope not, my gut says yes. And that will say a lot about us.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
They owe Connecticut millions and millions in tax breaks.

...on top of the fact that ESPN was practically founded by the Big East and UConn, but we'll just focus on the recent money for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom