The impact of Lou & Crystal's injuries last season? | The Boneyard

The impact of Lou & Crystal's injuries last season?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Two seasons back, an undersized, inexperienced UConn team that lacked depth came within a single basket of making it to the Huskies 5th straight national championship game. While the OT loss to a tough MS St team hurt, there was a great sense of anticipation that a loaded UConn team would roll to their 12th championship this past season. Obviously, that didn’t happen, as the Huskies once again fell in OT on a last second shot in a national semifinal to a very good ND team that had overcome no less than 4 season-ending knee injuries to key players.

There were certainly times when UConn looked every bit the juggernaut that we all expected: the 1st quarter vs Stanford in their opener, the 4th quarter comeback vs ND in December and numerous other times during the season. But frequently last season, there were times when UConn sputtered. The beautiful symphony that characterizes the Huskies offensive flow would break down far more often than Husky fans are used to seeing, resulting in rushed shots and/or turnovers. On the other end of the floor, there were occasional breakdowns in UConn’s usually tenacious defense, leading to easy scores or 2nd chance baskets by UConn opponents.

So what happened? Why didn’t a loaded UConn Husky team win it all last year? While there has been a lot of discussion on the BY about what went wrong last season, imo the real culprit was injuries. I know that may sound silly considering the injuries that ND had to overcome, but when UConn faced ND in the national semifinal, the Irish starting 5 was playing better than any other starting 5 in the nation.

UConn struggled all season long to get their starting 5 in sync due to various injuries and/or health issues. By tournament time, Gabby had fully recovered from her migraine issues and she was Gabulous once again, but Lou and Crystal, arguably the two best passers on the team, were barely practicing with the team due to ankle and shin splint problems respectively. It’s hard to overstate the impact of Lou and Crystal’s injuries to the Huskies. Not practicing regularly with the team clearly impacted the team’s execution and timing in games. This was particularly an issue with Z and the other bench players who never learned to fully play off Lou & Crystal.

The injuries also impacted Lou and Crystal’s jump shots. While Lou was deadly with her easy catch and shoot motion from the arc, her jump shot from the foul line, where she needs to elevate more, was not nearly as effective as two years ago. Whether that was due to the restrictive brace she wore, a fear of landing on someone’s foot, or the inevitable pain that Lou might have felt when she landed, Lou’s foul line jumper was not “money in the bank” last season. As for Crystal, given her 5’6” height, she relies on her explosive jump shot. At the start of the season, it appeared that she would never miss. But once her shin splint problems kicked in, Crystal was an inconsistent shooter. Whether that was due to her minutes being limited in practice and games, or the fact that every time she took a jump shot, the landing must have been painful, she wasn’t the same as earlier in the season.

Finally, Lou and Crystal’s injuries had to impact their footwork and movement on defense. Lou played most of the season with a restrictive ankle brace that limited her movement. For Crystal, there had to be discomfort in trying to move laterally with painful shin splints. Add in the lack of practice time with teammates and the result is a few more defensive breakdowns per game.

So think about it: Lou or Crystal hit one or two more jump shots per game, or execute one more pick and roll with Z or MW, or make one more perfect switch on defense to force a TO. For a team as talented as UConn, that probably earns the Huskies a 12th banner.

UConn will not be the favorite this coming season as they were last season. ND, Baylor, Louisville, Oregon and perhaps other teams will all be in the hunt for a national championship. But I tell you what. Give me a healthy Lou and Crystal, along with Pheesa, MW, some help from a few returning reserves, two super-talented freshmen and the greatest coach in the history of WBB and I got to say that I like the Huskies chances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Crystal's shin splints were a major downer last year. She came into the season a totally different player, having made a major sophomore leap, and then that happened. I really feel it impeded her development and performance right through to the end of the season, even though she admirably played through the pain and still was always very good when she was on the floor.

The impact of Lou's injury is a bigger question for me. She had a superb season, but a weak finish in the Columbus semi-final to be sure. Harder to know the root cause of that, if there really even was one to speak of.

Ultimately, though, we see time and time again that it's your seniors who are going to determine whether you win a national championship or not. For what it's worth, I've concluded that Gabby and Kia just were not quite good enough that night, over the course of the entire game, to put the Huskies over the top.

The good news is that our seniors this season are the best class we've had since the big three! I like our chances, too.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This coming season I expect Crystal to be fine. She had plenty of rest at the end of last season to allow her shin splints to heel, and I have no doubt that Crystal and the UConn trainers have incorporated a program of stretching, ice, compression and diet as an integral part of her training regimen to prevent a recurrence.

As for Lou, I’m not entirely sure what the prognosis and timeline is for her full recovery from ankle surgery. I know she’s as tough as they come, and I fully expect her to have another AA year. What I am hoping is that Lou’s senior season is both pain and injury free. If so, she’ll be on everyone’s short list for NPOY.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
There is no doubt that injuries to Lou, Crystal and Gabby had a big impact at the end of the season. But that is basketball. 95% of WCBB teams would be jumping for joy if they had the season UConn had the last two years. But we are UConn and a season without a national championship is, well, __________________. (You can fill in the blank)

So we are not the favorite this year. I'm fine with that and I think most are. If everyone is healthy, UConn will be a force to be taken very seriously. Three question marks are - Megan, Williams and ONO. If these three come thru big time, and I beleive they will, then watch out. Let the season begin!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
This coming season I expect Crystal to be fine. She had plenty of rest at the end of last season to allow her shin splints to heel, and I have no doubt that Crystal and the UConn trainers have incorporated a program of stretching, ice, compression and diet as an integral part of her training regimen to prevent a recurrence.

As for Lou, I’m not entirely sure what the prognosis and timeline is for her full recovery from ankle surgery. I know she’s as tough as they come, and I fully expect her to have another AA year. What I am hoping is that Lou’s senior season is both pain and injury free. If so, she’ll be on everyone’s short list for NPOY.
Fully agree with these sentiments and would add that Collier and Walker could very well both come back in major beast mode after their summer together with the skills development trainer. Now that'll be fun to watch! :D

Reaction Score
I'd like to jump on the bandwagon but IMO interior defense and defensive rebounding are going to be serious problems for this club. I hope I'm wrong but I believe it'll be at least a full season before ONO will be a major factor inside. Ratings, especially preseason mean nothing to me. I feel making the final four will be an accomplishment for UConn.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If injuries were the reason UConn lost, why did ND win? At least Crystal and Lou were on the court.

I have never nor will I ever blame injuries on a loss or a series of losses (I don't blame losses on refereeing for that matter). Injuries are a part of the game. Players know it, coaches know it, administration knows it, and the families of the players know it. The only ones who consistently fail to recognize it are the fans. In my mind last years UConn team failed to win because ND was better. Plain and simple. They were better. Same as the year before. Vic's team was better. I enjoyed their last two years and was thrilled to see UConn in the FF once again. Nothing can take away from that achievement. As Geno says, that was the past. Now, bring on the future baby!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If injuries were the reason UConn lost, why did ND win? At least Crystal and Lou were on the court.

I have never nor will I ever blame injuries on a loss or a series of losses (I don't blame losses on refereeing for that matter). Injuries are a part of the game. Players know it, coaches know it, administration knows it, and the families of the players know it. The only ones who consistently fail to recognize it are the fans. In my mind last years UConn team failed to win because ND was better. Plain and simple. They were better. Same as the year before. Vic's team was better. I enjoyed their last two years and was thrilled to see UConn in the FF once again. Nothing can take away from that achievement. As Geno says, that was the past. Now, bring on the future baby!
I absolutely agree that injuries are a part of the game, and while they should not be used an excuse, they can’t be ignored as an underlying factor for a team’s performance. In my OP the point I was making is that while ND did a wonderful job of playing the hand they were dealt (essentially 5 players, with very limited help from the bench), UConn struggled to overcome their injuries and execute at the highest level required to win a championship.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There is no doubt that injuries to Lou, Crystal and Gabby had a big impact at the end of the season. But that is basketball. 95% of WCBB teams would be jumping for joy if they had the season UConn had the last two years. But we are UConn and a season without a national championship is, well, __________________. (You can fill in the blank)

So we are not the favorite this year. I'm fine with that and I think most are. If everyone is healthy, UConn will be a force to be taken very seriously. Three question marks are - Megan, Williams and ONO. If these three come thru big time, and I beleive they will, then watch out. Let the season begin!!!!!!!
I believe it is more important that Camara come through this season. She is a key to the success of UConn this season.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if the injuries are the right question. I think the weakness and not stepping up to the opportunity by the bench is the bigger question. There were some players on the ND bench that really helped them for a few minutes at a time to give the starters a break and that was critical. I'm not a ND fan at all but I have to acknowledge that. Just think if Molly for instance was able to give Danger a break like Coco Nelson was able to do for Shepherd for instance. What if Walker could have really given KLS a breather. That would have been a completely different team....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Jackie Young! 2 points in the first game and 32 in the FF game.
Based on the prior game, UConn’s defensive strategy was to lay off Grant and double elsewhere. To Grant and ND’s credit, she made the Huskies pay for playing off her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if the injuries are the right question. I think the weakness and not stepping up to the opportunity by the bench is the bigger question. There were some players on the ND bench that really helped them for a few minutes at a time to give the starters a break and that was critical. I'm not a ND fan at all but I have to acknowledge that. Just think if Molly for instance was able to give Danger a break like Coco Nelson was able to do for Shepherd for instance. What if Walker could have really given KLS a breather. That would have been a completely different team....
As disappointing as UConn’s bench might have been, it was vastly superior to ND’s. The Irish played only 6 players against the Huskies. Kristina Nelson was the only sub used, playing 11 minutes with 1 RB & 2 pts.

UConn also played only 6 players, with Z off the bench (28 min, 8 rb, 1 a & 19 pts).

Reaction Score
As disappointing as UConn’s bench might have been, it was vastly superior to ND’s. The Irish played only 6 players against the Huskies. Kristina Nelson was the only sub used, playing 11 minutes with 1 RB & 2 pts.

UConn also played only 6 players, with Z off the bench (28 min, 8 rb, 1 a & 19 pts).
I was also talking about more than just the UConn games. Throughout the season I feel like Nelson especially and then Patterson were able to come into their games when the games were still being decided and play a valuable contributing couple minutes and give a starter a break. I just don't think throughout the season UConn could trust it's bench for a couple minutes of contributing play to buy some time when the game was still being decided. That would have been huge cumulatively over the season that may have made the difference in the final 4. I think the hurt players were just too worn down by the end and that to me is more about the bench then the injuries. Injuries happen every year but its how a team reacts to them that decides the outcome. Resilience! Just my analysis of what I saw.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Geno will need at least a strong 7 player unit he can totally depend on from November to April. We know who 3 of them are. The question is who will be the other four? The returning starters can not carry the team by themselves. I agree with your thoughts about how the bench should be capable of giving a blow to the starters for at least 10-12 min a game. Coombs, Gordon, Irwin, Camara and Bent have got to be ready to contribute some serious minutes every night to help the team win games this year. I'm assuming that Megan Walker becomes the 4th starter. One of the remaining three should start, but there's been some talk around the Boneyard that Christyn Williams may be pressed into service as a starter. Too early to tell yet, but somebody is going to be that 5th starter.

Cheer leading does not win games. None of the players on the bench behind Stevens and Walker had any significant input into the success of the team last season. In one of his "Geno-on" programs 2 years ago, he said: "If a player does not make the leap by the beginning of their sophomore year, they never will". So far Bent and Irwin haven't. We'll see about Walker, Coombs and Gordon. The freshmen should not have to come in and be the Saviour with so many upper classmen in front of them.

UConn is at Def-Con 2 and holding. Geno told then earlier this year right after the tournament: "This (everyone in the room) is all we've got, plus the incoming freshmen." Gabby and Kia are not walking through the doors come November. No graduate transfers are forthcoming either. All of the returning players must step up, and step up now!! No more cheer leading from the bench. They should all understand their role and the system well enough to go on the floor and be productive without a significant drop off in execution or production. It's time for them to step forward, and be the elite player Geno thought they were when he offered them. As Elvis said: It's now or never.

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Based on the prior game, UConn’s defensive strategy was to lay off Grant and double elsewhere. To Grant and ND’s credit, she made the Huskies pay for playing off her.
Who?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts:

I think we would have won if Lou and/or Crystal had been healthy. Lou, in particular, was lame in the Final Four. She is one tough player for gutting out the whole season on bad wheels. I believe she was second in the POY voting!!

That said, I recognize that N.D. had at least 3 players, including Brianna Turner, out with ACL tears. Presumably, they would have been a better team--maybe much better--with a full roster. Because I didn't hear anything to the contrary, I think that the players N.D. put on the floor were healthier than our 6. But they were down 3 players.

N.D. deserves credit for being mentally tough and following the game plan. They are the only team as mentally tough as the Huskies. I thought UConn did a great job of coming back from 5-point deficits in both regulation and OT. That was clutch performance by both teams.

Injuries, unfortunately, are part of the game. We have been fortunate to win 11 championships. It's conceivable that we could have won as many as 5 others if not for injuries to Nykesha, Shea, Sveta, Sue, Kalana, Mel, Lou, and Crystal. But worse injuries could have prevented some of the 11 championships.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If UConn has to depend on Williams to start at the beginning of this season, then last year's subs, minus Walker, are really a disappointment,imo.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If UConn has to depend on Williams to start at the beginning of this season, then last year's subs, minus Walker, are really a disappointment,imo.
I see Lexi as a role player at best. I think Mikayla has skills and could be an impact player. Megan, I believe, will be a star. But it's a fairly small roster: Our 2 seniors are top players and both have been 1st team All-Americans. Crystal is one of the best PGs in the nation. Molly and Kyla are role players, and Batouly is still an unknown. Christyn and Olivia look like future stars. In short, we have "only" 1 or 2 elite players per class, but that is more than just about any other team. Our top 6 players were ranked 1, 1, 1, 3, 5, and 6, or something like that. As Geno noted, we will have to depend on Liv and Christyn a fair amount. If CW wants to be legendary, she can start by being a Badass in her first year.

Reaction Score
Good point. Two years in a row UConn had a thin bench where an extra basket was critical. Yes, ND had a thin bench as well but the point is not to compare the two but focus on UConn and their team performance.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There were certainly times when UConn looked every bit the juggernaut that we all expected: the 1st quarter vs Stanford in their opener, the 4th quarter comeback vs ND in December and numerous other times during the season. But frequently last season, there were times when UConn sputtered. The beautiful symphony that characterizes the Huskies offensive flow would break down far more often than Husky fans are used to seeing, resulting in rushed shots and/or turnovers. On the other end of the floor, there were occasional breakdowns in UConn’s usually tenacious defense, leading to easy scores or 2nd chance baskets by UConn opponents.

I sort of disagree with your thesis here. In 2015-2016, the last year of the Stewart era, UConn scored 1.22 points per possession and allowed .67 points per possession. Last year, UConn scored 1.21 points per posession and allowed .72. (stats per natstat.com/wbb). So the offense is about the same and there is only slight slippage with the defense (.72 was still easily #1 in the nation in defensive points per possession). I would argue that any variance in the defense is more down to personnel than injury. As terrific as they are, neither Gabby nor Kia is comparable to Stewie as a defensive menace.

I'm sure the injuries had some impact. KLS having surgery after the season ended tells the story of the severity of her injury. How could that not have an impact? But at least statistically, they seemed to be able to overcome those injuries all season long. I don't remember much buzz before the ND game about UConn injuries as a possible stumbling block. On the contrary, I recall discussion that Gabby's migraines and Lou's ankle kept the regular season meeting close and that comparatively better health for UConn (and no Thompson for ND) would result in a more decisive victory for UConn in the rematch.

So I'm a little torn here. Yes, of course, the injuries had some impact. On the other hand, UConn had more than enough resources to win that game. "Our results would have been better had we been healthier" is a legitimate statement but it's also a statement that probably every team in the tournament could make. One can play the "what if" game infinitely. Making the best of it with what you have is part of the nature of sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom