The Huskies Earn a Passing Grade | The Boneyard

The Huskies Earn a Passing Grade

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
During 2013-14, on their way to a perfect 40-0 season, UConn set an NCAA record for assists with 850, or a little over 21 apg. Last season’s team broke that record, totaling 863 assists in only 37 games, or a little over 23 apg. Over 27 games this season, UConn has 628 assists, again averaging slightly better than 23 apg. If the Huskies maintain their current pace, and play 38 games this season :), they will break the NCAA assist record for the 3rd time in 5 seasons.

Why are the Huskies so damned good at passing the ball? Of course, it begins with recruiting team-oriented players who like to pass. Beyond that, the culture at UConn along with the commitment to player development foster a “cult-like” obsession with passing the ball.

Everyone on UConn WBB learns to be a better passer. 4th qtrs are becoming ever more entertaining as the reserves seem to be able to drop dimes on one another with increasing proficiency. While there are several things we would all like to see Z get better at, one of the areas that’s been a pleasant surprise is her ability to pass in the paint. Pheesa has also become a better passer this season, and it’s a true testimony to just how good a passing team this is, that the 4th best passer on the team is the pg on the Canadian national team.

While everyone on the Huskies passes the ball, this team is blessed with three truly remarkable passers. What sets Lou, Crystal & Gabby apart is their incredible ability to see the floor, anticipate teammates coming open and deliver pinpoint and often spectacular passes.

One of the reasons I believe Lou deserves the NPOY is that she’s not just a “high volume” shooter/scorer like some of her competition. She is a complete player. Lou’s ability to pass the ball sets her apart from many other top scorers in the country. Lou can make all the passes, but what’s truly incredible are her “touch passes” when the ball barely touches her hands before it’s heading to an open teammate for an easy shot. I’m fairly certain Lou learned that skill by watching film of her idol, Larry Bird, who was the best touch passer I’ve ever seen.

You must be a good passer to run UConn’s offense, and Crystal certainly is. But it’s in transition, in the open floor where Crystal is WBB’s version of Showtime! Her no look and behind the back passes to streaking teammates never cease to get fans out of their seats. As Lou commented after Crystal’s behind the back pass a few games back, “When Crystal’s not looking at you, you know she’s going to pass you the ball.” In the words of Dick Vitale, “Are you kidding me?”

Finally, there’s Gabby, maybe the best high post passer ever to play at UConn. Gabby takes more risks then other passers, but I’m always amazed at the passes she connects on, with the ability to fit perfect passes through the tiniest of windows, exactly where her teammates want the ball.

I had thought last year’s team was the best passing team I had ever seen. However, this year’s team may actually be the best passing team I have ever seen…..at least until I get a look at next year’s team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
During 2013-14, on their way to a perfect 40-0 season, UConn set an NCAA record for assists with 850, or a little over 21 apg. Last season’s team broke that record, totaling 863 assists in only 37 games, or a little over 23 apg. Over 27 games this season, UConn has 628 assists, again averaging slightly better than 23 apg. If the Huskies maintain their current pace, and play 38 games this season :), they will break the NCAA assist record for the 3rd time in 5 seasons.

Why are the Huskies so damned good at passing the ball? Of course, it begins with recruiting team-oriented players who like to pass. Beyond that, the culture at UConn along with the commitment to player development foster a “cult-like” obsession with passing the ball.

Everyone on UConn WBB learns to be a better passer. 4th qtrs are becoming ever more entertaining as the reserves seem to be able to drop dimes on one another with increasing proficiency. While there are several things we would all like to see Z get better at, one of the areas that’s been a pleasant surprise is her ability to pass in the paint. Pheesa has also become a better passer this season, and it’s a true testimony to just how good a passing team this is, that the 4th best passer on the team is the pg on the Canadian national team.

While everyone on the Huskies passes the ball, this team is blessed with three truly remarkable passers. What sets Lou, Crystal & Gabby apart is their incredible ability to see the floor, anticipate teammates coming open and deliver pinpoint and often spectacular passes.

One of the reasons I believe Lou deserves the NPOY is that she’s not just a “high volume” shooter/scorer like some of her competition. She is a complete player. Lou’s ability to pass the ball sets her apart from many other top scorers in the country. Lou can make all the passes, but what’s truly incredible are her “touch passes” when the ball barely touches her hands before it’s heading to an open teammate for an easy shot. I’m fairly certain Lou learned that skill by watching film of her idol, Larry Bird, who was the best touch passer I’ve ever seen.

You must be a good passer to run UConn’s offense, and Crystal certainly is. But it’s in transition, in the open floor where Crystal is WBB’s version of Showtime! Her no look and behind the back passes to streaking teammates never cease to get fans out of their seats. As Lou commented after Crystal’s behind the back pass a few games back, “When Crystal’s not looking at you, you know she’s going to pass you the ball.” In the words of Dick Vitale, “Are you kidding me?”

Finally, there’s Gabby, maybe the best high post passer ever to play at UConn. Gabby takes more risks then other passers, but I’m always amazed at the passes she connects on, with the ability to fit perfect passes through the tiniest of windows, exactly where her teammates want the ball.

I had thought last year’s team was the best passing team I had ever seen. However, this year’s team may actually be the best passing team I have ever seen…..at least until I get a look at next year’s team.
Excellent post! One thing I would add is that Lou is a gifted outlet passer. Reminds me of Wes Unseld (for you old timers out there) except one third his width.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Actually UCONN has 5 very good to remarkable passers. Gabby is a remarkable passer (140 assists). Crystal is a tad behind her but does make many remarkable passes (103 assists). Lou has been really good of late (86 assists). Her long outlet passes to Kia remind me of the Faris to Moore bombs. However, Kia and Phee are not chopped liver (respectively 80 and 85 assists).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually UCONN has 5 very good to remarkable passers. Gabby is a remarkable passer (140 assists). Crystal is a tad behind her but does make many remarkable passes (103 assists). Lou has been really good of late (86 assists). Her long outlet passes to Kia remind me of the Faris to Moore bombs. However, Kia and Phee are not chopped liver (respectively 80 and 85 assists).
On this team, if you don’t pass the ball, you don’t play.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Excellent post! One thing I would add is that Lou is a gifted outlet passer. Reminds me of Wes Unseld (for you old timers out there) except one third his width.
I certainly remember Unseld. In addition to his tremendous outlet passes, at 6’6” he was just about the smallest center in the NBA, incredibly strong and a great rebounder.

Reaction Score
Her outlet pass as she was balancing on the end line last night was amazing! She also is the best inbounding passer we’ve ever had.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Her outlet pass as she was balancing on the end line last night was amazing! She also is the best inbounding passer we’ve ever had.
While UConn doesn’t necessarily run a lot of offensive plays in their half-court offense, they do run numerous plays off their inbound set, which is typically triggered by Lou, and often results in wide open shots and easy assists

To combat those wide open shots, Tulane had a defender floating in the lane last night like a free safety, rather than guarding Lou inbounding the ball.

So what does UConn do? Lou passes the ball to Z at the high post, where she’s double-teamed, and Z fires a pass back to Lou, all alone under the basket for an easy layup.

It’s a beautiful thing to watch.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

Recruits who come to UConn always were the best players on their team, usually the best players in their league, sometimes the best players in their state and more than occasionally, the best players in the country. That they're able to embrace the selfless UConn culture and share the ball is testament to both those individuals and the coaching staff that inspires that team concept. Another great post, Dude.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I certainly remember Unseld. In addition to his tremendous outlet passes, at 6’6” he was just about the smallest center in the NBA, incredibly strong and a great rebounder.
I listened to the broadcast of his high school state tournament championship game which his team won. After the game, a coach from Kentucky was interviewed and he said he hoped Kentucky did not integrate a year too late. It did not matter as Unseld chose to go to Louisville. Man, that was many years ago.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Dating myself, but this team reminds me of the Bob Cousy,Bill Sharman era Celtics. Just fun to watch ball movement. Also, when will opponents catch on to Kia leaking down court?

Reaction Score
Passing is 1/2 of the equation, maybe 1/3. The other parts are "receiving" the basketball, and screening for the receiver of the basketball. In order to have so many assists, the receiver of the basketball also needs to knock down the shot. In any case, you have all seen UCONN defense get a hand on a pass from the opposing team, and if the opposing coach "root causes" why UCONN player got their hand on the pass, it often has to do with the receiving player not going/coming to the ball. This is especially true for post players, who carve out a spot in the key, and, think that is enough to receive an entry pass. Against a great defensive team, that isn't enough. You have to make an effort to meet the ball, rather than the ball meeting you where you have camped out.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lou can make all the passes, but what’s truly incredible are her “touch passes” when the ball barely touches her hands before it’s heading to an open teammate for an easy shot. I’m fairly certain Lou learned that skill by watching film of her idol, Larry Bird, who was the best touch passer I’ve ever seen.

Great post. I would add Pete Maravich, and of course the magic man (Earvin "Magic" Johnson) to that group of passers that many consider the best of ALL time. I've been watching the NBA since the late 50's. I've seen Johnson, Bird and Maravich make passes no one else has made. Those 4 are in a class by themselves. It's taken Gabby 4 years to arrive at the point she's at now. She was not passing like this 2 years ago. She has grown, matured, and learned to trust her teammates, and knows where they are going to be, and exactly what they are going to do, which enables her to throw a pass to an empty spot on the floor (be it a bounce pass , or a full court lob) that she knows her teammate will occupy by the time the ball gets there.

It takes trust, skill (a sense of timing) and confidence (onions) to make those types of passes, like the perfect bounce pass she made to Lou who was cutting towards the basket while she was still in the air. That pass was remarkable, and can't be defended. That pass made me cuss. :eek: So did Crystal's behind- the -back pass. :eek: The average player can't make those types of passes consistently, and not turn the ball over.

We all marveled Sunday when Crystal threw that perfect behind the back pass to Lou for an easy uncontested fast break lay-up. Even the Temple bench players had to shake their heads and marvel at that play. To Crystal, it was not big deal. She's a "wizard". She can make those types of passes without giving it a second thought.

It's a pass that she's thrown dozens of times in practice and in games over the years. It looks good IF it finds it's mark. If it doesn't, the coach goes crazy, and probably pulls her. The late Chick Hearn (longtime hall of fame Lakers' radio play by play announcer) would say "The mustard is off the hot dog" if a player tried to make a play like that and failed. I truly believe she's got many more exciting passes and plays in her that we'll see over the next two years. The game has slowed down to a crawl for Dangerous. Now she can do the same things she did in high school. Like Gabby, she's fun to watch, and worth the price of admission.

If I knew how to use photoshop, I'd make a picture of Crystal wearing a wizard's hat and cape and holding a basketball and wearing a big sly grin. She's great!!! She's one of my two favorites on this team. We remember the wizard of Westwood. She's the wizard of Storrs. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
loves those plays where the ball never touches the ground....
bags27, I had the great fortune to see one of the very best college teams demonstrate how to pass the ball without the ball touching the ground resulting in a score after a defensive rebound. Oregon State Men's Team (Ralph Miller coached) in 1978-81 did this routinely, and it was a thing of beauty. I attended many of their practices, and Ralph Miller would come unglued if a player dribbled when he could have passed the ball upcourt. This is probably why, from the west coast, I will always record a UCONN wbb game, so I can see such beautiful team basketball.

Carnac

Reaction Score

He was my idol (I wore his #41) when I was playing in high school. He was called "The chairman of the boards". I remember him coming from Louisville to the Baltimore Bullets. He was listed at 6'7", and as you say, he was one of the smallest if not THE smallest center in the league. He had a BIG natural and a BIG butt, and could not be moved off his spot once he established it. He was not much of a scorer, but he was stellar on defense. He was a shot blocker and a rebounding machine much like Dennis Rodman who came along after him. He was known for his two hand over head full court fast break passes that were usually right on the mark. The only player that he could not do anything with was Kareem. Abdul-Jabbar owned him. Wes gave up 6 inches to Kareem, and could only dream of blocking that dreaded "sky hook". :rolleyes:

WesUnseld__crop_340x234.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dating myself, but this team reminds me of the Bob Cousy,Bill Sharman era Celtics. Just fun to watch ball movement. Also, when will opponents catch on to Kia leaking down court?
Kia does a fantastic job of anticipating defensive rebounds and turnovers. She releases a split second before UConn secures the ball and then outruns everyone else down the court, often for an easy layup.

After the Louisville game, I believe Asia Durr said something to the effect that, “Right after you take a shot it seems like Kia Nurse is already at half court heading the other way.”

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Kia does a fantastic job of anticipating defensive rebounds and turnovers. She releases a split second before UConn secures the ball and then outruns everyone else down the court, often for an easy layup.

After the Louisville game, I believe Asia Durr said something to the effect that, “Right after you take a shot it seems like Kia Nurse is already at half court heading the other way.”
She might not be the quickest player on the team, but straight ahead speed she is rarely caught from behind unless she is hacked from behind.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She might not be the quickest player on the team, but straight ahead speed she is rarely caught from behind unless she is hacked from behind.
And then there’s the other side, when a defender foolishly attempts to step in front of a sprinting Kia to draw a foul.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Are you referring to "hack-a-Kia? :confused:

Reaction Score
All this love for Wes Unseld! Amazing what you'll uncover here in the BY.
Damn, you're even older than me! Never saw those Celtics teams. I started watching in 69 with Bill Russell as player coach.
How about my favorite comparison: The 70 and 73 Knicks. No superstar. Smallish centers. Great chemistry. Great passing. Legendary relationship on the court between Bill Bradley and Walt Frazier. They instinctively knew what the other was thinking. Familiar?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Great post. I would add Pete Maravich, and of course the magic man (Earvin "Magic" Johnson) to that group of passers that many consider the best of ALL time. I've been watching the NBA since the late 50's. I've seen Johnson, Bird and Maravich make passes no one else has made. Those 4 are in a class by themselves. It's taken Gabby 4 years to arrive at the point she's at now. She was not passing like this 2 years ago. She has grown, matured, and learned to trust her teammates, and knows where they are going to be, and exactly what they are going to do, which enables her to throw a pass to an empty spot on the floor (be it a bounce pass , or a full court lob) that she knows her teammate will occupy by the time the ball gets there.

It takes trust, skill (a sense of timing) and confidence (onions) to make those types of passes, like the perfect bounce pass she made to Lou who was cutting towards the basket while she was still in the air. That pass was remarkable, and can't be defended. That pass made me cuss. :eek: So did Crystal's behind- the -back pass. :eek: The average player can't make those types of passes consistently, and not turn the ball over.

We all marveled Sunday when Crystal threw that perfect behind the back pass to Lou for an easy uncontested fast break lay-up. Even the Temple bench players had to shake their heads and marvel at that play. To Crystal, it was not big deal. She's a "wizard". She can make those types of passes without giving it a second thought.

It's a pass that she's thrown dozens of times in practice and in games over the years. It looks good IF it finds it's mark. If it doesn't, the coach goes crazy, and probably pulls her. The late Chick Hearn (longtime hall of fame Lakers' radio play by play announcer) would say "The mustard is off the hot dog" if a player tried to make a play like that and failed. I truly believe she's got many more exciting passes and plays in her that we'll see over the next two years. The game has slowed down to a crawl for Dangerous. Now she can do the same things she did in high school. Like Gabby, she's fun to watch, and worth the price of admission.

If I knew how to use photoshop, I'd make a picture of Crystal wearing a wizard's hat and cape and holding a basketball. She's great!!! We remember the wizard of Westwood. She's the wizard of Storrs. ;)
Bill Bradley made great touch and redirection passes as a collegian. Didn’t seem to try as often with the Knicks.

Carnac

Reaction Score
All this love for Wes Unseld! Amazing what you'll uncover here in the BY.
Damn, you're even older than me! Never saw those Celtics teams. I started watching in 69 with Bill Russell as player coach.
How about my favorite comparison: The 70 and 73 Knicks. No superstar. Smallish centers. Great chemistry. Great passing. Legendary relationship on the court between Bill Bradley and Walt Frazier. They instinctively knew what the other was thinking. Familiar?

Yes I am. You graduated HS in 1971 (you mentioned this in one of your posts). I graduated in 1967. I also got to meet Bill Russell at a Johnny Mathis concert in Las Vegas. I was standing in line (waiting to get in) directly behind him. I acknowledged him, said hello, but did not bug him. He was very cordial. :)

Reaction Score
Yes I am. You graduated HS in 1971 (you mention this in one of your posts). I graduated in 1967. I also got to meet Bill Russell at a Johnny Mathis concert in Las Vegas. I was standing in line (waiting to get in) directly behind him. I just acknowledged him, but did not bug him. He was very cordial. :)
Who are these players you Speak of?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
And that's with KLS missing 5 games with Crystal Dangerfield missing two games and being limited in 4 more. I enjoy watching KLS under the basket taking the ball out on the offensive end with all touch passes that create quick baskets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom