The Huskies Achilles Heel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Huskies Achilles Heel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Yes, Brad ran the gamut of emotion from A to B. (Can you guess about whom this was originally said?)

Reaction Score
What we have to remember is these ladies came off of a tough emotionally, mentally and physically draining game against the number two team at their place. Then take school finals and then get ready to play an undefeated team at their place. It's a draining week for these ladies considering they go seven deep. They will be fine (IMO). The AAC conference play will help them.

Reaction Score
Yes, Brad ran the gamut of emotion from A to B. (Can you guess about whom this was originally said?)

Kate Hepburn I think. My dad is 88 and a huge old film fan. When he visits it's TCM all week.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Hi bags!
I enjoyed the movie, too, but it seems Diane Kruger did not enjoy Peter O'toole, who as I recall did not like the film. That Brad would injure his Achilles in filming is unreal. Only in Hollywood.

Loved Kruger in "National Treasure."

Reaction Score
upload_2016-12-12_13-30-15.png

Wanna continue to guess? One of you is old enough to recognize this Broadway star. The comment about running the gamut was made in an unkind review of a performance. Classic.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Gee.. some of y'all are already talking about the South Carolina game in February..what about Maryland? What about Ohio State? Those are very capable teams with that Maryland game on the road looking especially ripe for an upset..

Must be nice being able to overlook quality teams. I envy it.

Reaction Score
Prior to the start of the season, there were a number of concerns expressed about this Husky team. They were inexperienced, undersized and undermanned. 9 games into the season experience no longer appears to be a concern, as the Core-4 are showing great poise and leadership. The concern over lack of size also appears to be overblown. Against Baylor, TX, ND & KSU, the athleticism and hustle of Gabby & Pheesa more than compensated for the apparent disparity in size.

The one remaining concern relative to the Huskies is team depth. As far as the backcourt is concerned, I believe the depth issue is being addressed and will not be a concern come tourney time. Kia & Saniya are veterans. Danger is going to get much better over the course of the season. Once UConn gets into their conference schedule, Molly will get a lot more minutes and hopefully develop into a solid reserve by the end of the season. Lou & Gabby can also play the 2-guard position in a pinch.

The depth problem is most worrisome in the frontcourt. Lou, Pheesa & Gabby are playing as well, or better than any other frontcourt in the nation right now, but at one time or another all three have been in foul trouble and had to sit. When any one of them sits, UConn is a much different team. Nat is available, and has played well at times, but you never quite know what you’re going to get from Nat when she’s in the game. It would be great if Kyla could develop sufficiently to be used as a reserve in key situations, but I just don’t know if she will be ready this year.

Beyond the foul situation, there is the ever-present fear of injury. These Huskies play hard. Whenever any one of them hits the floor, everyone holds their collective breath. Losing Saniya for yesterday’s game vs KSU, messed up the entire rotation, and while UConn won in relatively comfortable fashion, the team appeared fatigued from all the minutes they’ve played in the past few weeks against top-caliber competition.

IMO, the depth issue will continue to be a concern throughout the season. That will make this season’s games more stressful and probably more exciting as well, although I feel that I should point out that some of us older Husky fans really don’t need that kind of excitement in our lives.

Old Dude---Great posting!! Good analysis.

I see Dangerfield as erupting into all we expected and soon--she'll have freshmen moments--she is after all a freshman. I agree with Molly get more PT in the AAC--and developing into our expectations.
My disconnect is with the TRIO of KLS, Gabby, Collier. As long as Collier stays on the floor and healthy if KLS OR Gabby is with her--Uconn will get to the final 4. Collier as we have seen --when she is out--the opponents bigs run rampant and the scoring goes down. I think, as we saw, when Collier is out with 2 fouls the score drops. She is more of a a force than we have noticed--or at least more than I noticed. KLS and Gabby are truly important--fact! But I believe Napheesa is our key to the final 4
I recently watch Tx/Tn game neither team was great--Tx Lang, I would have used every time down the court, wasn't --Russel (Tn) didn't negate her--she should have. Geno slowed Lang down. USC against Duke, was a disappointment. So my "worries" for the season are much less than October.

Reaction Score
View attachment 17607
Wanna continue to guess? One of you is old enough to recognize this Broadway star. The comment about running the gamut was made in an unkind review of a performance. Classic.
LifeBoat comes to mind--Talulla Bankhead. Running the Gamut or the table isn't as important as running it in March.

Reaction Score
Yes, lack of depth in the front court is the Achilles heel. Would that Tuck or Boykin stayed or that Camara had come originally.

Dark Cloud: Yes, UConn handled Baylor. But no team in the country has 2 such talented bigs as South Carolina, and USC now sees how UConn operates. They have months to game plan.
Silver Lining: let's continue to rejoice that this team is exceeding well beyond everyone's (including Geno's) expectations. However far it gets this year, it's an awesome group of kids.

Remember: Achilles died young, but gained immortal glory!
Your mentioning of USC having all this time to observe and prepare for the Huskies down the road is a two way street and of course, the Huskie staff now has a lot of footage and a great amount of time to prepare for USC to neutralize their strengths and stomp on their Achilles heel. The fact that USC has already been beaten and how they were beaten might be a bit of a blueprint right there. I'm sure Geno and company will probably be looking for other ways to use some of the Gamecocks purported strengths against them and it seems that they've had a great deal of success in the past.

Reaction Score

I see Dangerfield as erupting into all we expected and soon--she'll have freshmen moments--she is after all a freshman. I agree with Molly get more PT in the AAC--and developing into our expectations.
My disconnect is with the TRIO of KLS, Gabby, Collier. As long as Collier stays on the floor and healthy if KLS OR Gabby is with her--Uconn will get to the final 4. Collier as we have seen --when she is out--the opponents bigs run rampant and the scoring goes down. I think, as we saw, when Collier is out with 2 fouls the score drops. She is more of a a force than we have noticed--or at least more than I noticed. KLS and Gabby are truly important--fact! But I believe Napheesa is our key to the final 4
I recently watch Tx/Tn game neither team was great--Tx Lang, I would have used every time down the court, wasn't --Russel (Tn) didn't negate her--she should have. Geno slowed Lang down. USC against Duke, was a disappointment. So my "worries" for the season are much less than October.
I think that you saw earlier that when Gabby was off the floor for foul trouble that UConn wasn't nearly as potent and though KLS hasn't been off the floor much, it'd probably be the same as well. They combine to cause fits to defenses and their presence on the court is a positive because it makes it that much harder for the defense to focus on any one or two of them. I would say there's a concern if any of the Big 3 were lost for any length of time and yet your focus and others seems to be that Napheesa and her presence is THE BIG CONCERN. We surely don't want or need to lose anyone through injury or foul trouble as it weakens the team's efficiency quite a bit. I, too, am hopeful that during the conference schedule we can start integrating Irwin and Bent so as to be able to bring them in and hold the fort while giving key players an opportunity to catch their wind and reinvigorate themselves. Hopefully they'll earn Geno's confidence and we won't see some of these kids running on empty in key moments of key games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
View attachment 17607
Unfortunately, many of us are old enough to recognize this star. The quote was in fact made by Dorothy Parker and was directed at a stage performance by Katharine Hepburn. There is some dispute about whether it was intended to be derogatory or was said in jest.

Reaction Score

I think that you saw earlier that when Gabby was off the floor for foul trouble that UConn wasn't nearly as potent and though KLS hasn't been off the floor much, it'd probably be the same as well. They combine to cause fits to defenses and their presence on the court is a positive because it makes it that much harder for the defense to focus on any one or two of them. I would say there's a concern if any of the Big 3 were lost for any length of time and yet your focus and others seems to be that Napheesa and her presence is THE BIG CONCERN. We surely don't want or need to lose anyone through injury or foul trouble as it weakens the team's efficiency quite a bit. I, too, am hopeful that during the conference schedule we can start integrating Irwin and Bent so as to be able to bring them in and hold the fort while giving key players an opportunity to catch their wind and reinvigorate themselves. Hopefully they'll earn Geno's confidence and we won't see some of these kids running on empty in key moments of key games.
Gee.. some of y'all are already talking about the South Carolina game in February..what about Maryland? What about Ohio State? Those are very capable teams with that Maryland game on the road looking especially ripe for an upset..

Must be nice being able to overlook quality teams. I envy it.
Actually you should feel that it's a compliment that they feel that USC is THE BIG CONCERN. I am sure that though some on the Boneyard get a bit ahead of ourselves, that that isn't the way the UConn staff feels about any of it. I'm sure they're concerned about Ohio State and Maryland but probably USF (in our conference) as well along with a few other teams. Geno doesn't like to take any team for granted and his preparation is amongst the best of all time as his lifetime record would attest to. I do understand your point but we're just this big oversized fan club with growing enthusiasm that this team can be awfully special and that we needn't have to wait till next year to enjoy great success.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, absolutely, physical and mental fatigue. But it's not necessarily a problem going forward. ND game was emotionally as well as physically exhausting. Then they took finals. Then they hopped on a plane to KS. But now, they have a week off before another back-to-back; then another week off, then another back-to-back. After that, the schedule is a lot easier.

Looking way too far ahead, the next similar stresser will likely be the Final 4, and if they get that far, the adrenaline will take them to the finish.
Actually, Finals are this week. Hence why we have no games this week. Next game is on the 19th, after Finals week.

Reaction Score
Instead of wining games by big numbers while we are playing weaker teams, we could increase playing time for the bench to give staters more rest, less chance for injury, and more game experience for the bench playing. Our coaches must have all the planning options in their disposal. However, it's no harm done to bring it out for our discussion.

Reaction Score
So... Crystal is doing better than I though then if those are the comps.
There's a point in the KS State game, I think ~ 8:00 to go in the 4th Q, where Crystal threads the needle with a bounce pass underneath to Pheesa (? or Gabby? I don't remember) for a bunny, and the camera happens to take in Geno on the sidelines clapping pretty wildly in response. In so many ways, he's uncharacteristically public in his praise for her.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, many of us are old enough to recognize this star. The quote was in fact made by Dorothy Parker and was directed at a stage performance by Katharine Hepburn. There is some dispute about whether it was intended to be derogatory or was said in jest.
Often hard to figure out what Parker intended unless you're a fellow Algonquinite. Kate paid it forward in her criticism of Meryl Streep, saying she didn't like Streep's acting because Streep always looked like she was thinking too much. So Kate is (probably) criticized for a lack of emotion, and in turn attacks Streep for the same. Cat fight!

Reaction Score
Bird her Sr year, Jefferson her Sr year. ;)
For the record: Minutes played/per TO:
SC 33.8
Phee 21.9
Kia 18.0
Lou 13.8
Molly 12.8
CD 10.5
NB 10.2
Gabby 9.92
It is striking to see how well Saniya takes care of the basketball. I was a little surprised that Gabby is anchor woman. That was a problem she had last year, especially driving to the hoop but I didn't realize she had so many turnovers this year (25). Notably IMO having a lot of assists does NOT excuse having a lot of turnovers although obviously there is some relationship.

Reaction Score
For the record: Minutes played/per TO:
SC 33.8
Phee 21.9
Kia 18.0
Lou 13.8
Molly 12.8
CD 10.5
NB 10.2
Gabby 9.92
It is striking to see how well Saniya takes care of the basketball. I was a little surprised that Gabby is anchor woman. That was a problem she had last year, especially driving to the hoop but I didn't realize she had so many turnovers this year (25). Notably IMO having a lot of assists does NOT excuse having a lot of turnovers although obviously there is some relationship.
Thanks for this, BB. I'm not the coach and I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but if I were the coach, I wouldn't be worried about Gabby's turnovers, because she is so incredibly active that's it's a bit of high risk/high reward. CD is just learning and Lou is a bit ungainly at times and it'll happen. But Natalie's would be more of a problem for me. She sometimes travels, especially when she just gets in the game and hasn't found her rhythm, but she also loses the ball to stronger players. That's what I'd want to (try to) fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom