The Huskies Achilles Heel | The Boneyard

The Huskies Achilles Heel

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Prior to the start of the season, there were a number of concerns expressed about this Husky team. They were inexperienced, undersized and undermanned. 9 games into the season experience no longer appears to be a concern, as the Core-4 are showing great poise and leadership. The concern over lack of size also appears to be overblown. Against Baylor, TX, ND & KSU, the athleticism and hustle of Gabby & Pheesa more than compensated for the apparent disparity in size.

The one remaining concern relative to the Huskies is team depth. As far as the backcourt is concerned, I believe the depth issue is being addressed and will not be a concern come tourney time. Kia & Saniya are veterans. Danger is going to get much better over the course of the season. Once UConn gets into their conference schedule, Molly will get a lot more minutes and hopefully develop into a solid reserve by the end of the season. Lou & Gabby can also play the 2-guard position in a pinch.

The depth problem is most worrisome in the frontcourt. Lou, Pheesa & Gabby are playing as well, or better than any other frontcourt in the nation right now, but at one time or another all three have been in foul trouble and had to sit. When any one of them sits, UConn is a much different team. Nat is available, and has played well at times, but you never quite know what you’re going to get from Nat when she’s in the game. It would be great if Kyla could develop sufficiently to be used as a reserve in key situations, but I just don’t know if she will be ready this year.

Beyond the foul situation, there is the ever-present fear of injury. These Huskies play hard. Whenever any one of them hits the floor, everyone holds their collective breath. Losing Saniya for yesterday’s game vs KSU, messed up the entire rotation, and while UConn won in relatively comfortable fashion, the team appeared fatigued from all the minutes they’ve played in the past few weeks against top-caliber competition.

IMO, the depth issue will continue to be a concern throughout the season. That will make this season’s games more stressful and probably more exciting as well, although I feel that I should point out that some of us older Husky fans really don’t need that kind of excitement in our lives.

Reaction Score
Prior to the start of the season, there were a number of concerns expressed about this Husky team. They were inexperienced, undersized and undermanned. 9 games into the season experience no longer appears to be a concern, as the Core-4 are showing great poise and leadership. The concern over lack of size also appears to be overblown. Against Baylor, TX, ND & KSU, the athleticism and hustle of Gabby & Pheesa more than compensated for the apparent disparity in size.

The one remaining concern relative to the Huskies is team depth. As far as the backcourt is concerned, I believe the depth issue is being addressed and will not be a concern come tourney time. Kia & Saniya are veterans. Danger is going to get much better over the course of the season. Once UConn gets into their conference schedule, Molly will get a lot more minutes and hopefully develop into a solid reserve by the end of the season. Lou & Gabby can also play the 2-guard position in a pinch.

The depth problem is most worrisome in the frontcourt. Lou, Pheesa & Gabby are playing as well, or better than any other frontcourt in the nation right now, but at one time or another all three have been in foul trouble and had to sit. When any one of them sits, UConn is a much different team. Nat is available, and has played well at times, but you never quite know what you’re going to get from Nat when she’s in the game. It would be great if Kyla could develop sufficiently to be used as a reserve in key situations, but I just don’t know if she will be ready this year.

Beyond the foul situation, there is the ever-present fear of injury. These Huskies play hard. Whenever any one of them hits the floor, everyone holds their collective breath. Losing Saniya for yesterday’s game vs KSU, messed up the entire rotation, and while UConn won in relatively comfortable fashion, the team appeared fatigued from all the minutes they’ve played in the past few weeks against top-caliber competition.

IMO, the depth issue will continue to be a concern throughout the season. That will make this season’s games more stressful and probably more exciting as well, although I feel that I should point out that some of us older Husky fans really don’t need that kind of excitement in our lives.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One additional comment regarding the stress caused by a very short bench. A few games back Lou tweaked her ankle. That ankle was attached to the same foot she broke last year. That minor tweak generated about 30 posts from concerned Husky fans.

Many of us will need to seriously consider increasing our consumption of alcohol to deal with ankle tweaks, flying elbows & neck spasms.

Reaction Score
Yes, lack of depth in the front court is the Achilles heel. Would that Tuck or Boykin stayed or that Camara had come originally.

Dark Cloud: Yes, UConn handled Baylor. But no team in the country has 2 such talented bigs as South Carolina, and USC now sees how UConn operates. They have months to game plan.
Silver Lining: let's continue to rejoice that this team is exceeding well beyond everyone's (including Geno's) expectations. However far it gets this year, it's an awesome group of kids.

Remember: Achilles died young, but gained immortal glory!

Reaction Score
Yes, absolutely, physical and mental fatigue. But it's not necessarily a problem going forward. ND game was emotionally as well as physically exhausting. Then they took finals. Then they hopped on a plane to KS. But now, they have a week off before another back-to-back; then another week off, then another back-to-back. After that, the schedule is a lot easier.

Looking way too far ahead, the next similar stresser will likely be the Final 4, and if they get that far, the adrenaline will take them to the finish.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The one common thread is that both Achilles and these UConn Huskies are warriors!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Oh goodness.
Crystal's shot not falling might have something to do with coming off a concussion.
Crystal has 27 Assists and 19 TO in 200 min. "Her turnovers are high"- compared to what/Who?
The team had 24 Assists on 30 made baskets so they must have been passing the ball around pretty good.
The team is going to need everyone down the stretch not just Molly.

Reaction Score
Staying out of Foul Trouble is Key for this team and getting the players more rest during a game.
Guess what ? The same can be said of any good team I've seen. None of them play as well with their star players on the bench . N.D. has no backup point guard, and have a dramatic dropoff with Turner on the bench. For S.C. if Wilson or Coates are on the bench. Everything is relative. I don't see Irwin as being anywhere near ready to contribute. Molly might be ready to give a few minutes by march, but that is questionable IMHO. One lesson we should have learned by now is, sometimes too many players interefere with the continuity of the game. Huskies missed Saniya yesterday. A temperary glitch. Our threesome of KLS, Pheesa, and Gabby are as good as anyone else's. It comes down to coaching and TOUGHNESS!

Reaction Score
Oh goodness.
Crystal's shot not falling might have something to do with coming off a concussion.
Crystal has 27 Assists and 19 TO in 200 min. "Her turnovers are high"- compared to what/Who?
The team had 24 Assists on 30 made baskets so they must have been passing the ball around pretty good.
The team is going to need everyone down the stretch not just Molly.

Crystal Dangerfield's assist/turnover ratio is 1.42 vs Mo's 1.41 during her freshman year ...fairly good company to be in and we've had a schedule stacked with quality opponents. She will be a huge asset as the season goes on.
My biggest concern going forward , other than depth and the impact it has on how we defend, is the vulnerability to certain kind of bigs. Lewis was tough to handle as she has the body type along with reasonably decent quickness that makes it more difficult for undersized, quick forwards to defend. Jones from MD will be a load and we'll need to keep our fingers crossed with her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Often times, missing open jump shots is the result of tired legs. Yesterday, I think this was particularly the case with Gabby and to a lesser extent Danger & Lou in the second half.

Reaction Score
They will have to make better decisions and take care of the ball better if they are going to keep the streak alive against Maryland. There is a very small margin of error for that game. The Ohio State game does not concern me as much as, at least to this point, that team does not seem to have offensive balance. Maryland does.

Reaction Score
Me, too. But I think there's a book also that's pretty good. :)

Hi bags!
I enjoyed the movie, too, but it seems Diane Kruger did not enjoy Peter O'toole, who as I recall did not like the film. That Brad would injure his Achilles in filming is unreal. Only in Hollywood.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
.... where Crystal coming off a concussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom