The hook and hold rule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The hook and hold rule

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The last one they went to the monitor on their guy was pinning Wilson’s arm to his body in an attempt to get the hook and hold call. They went to the monitor and decided it wasn’t a flagrant but unfortunately they couldn’t change the call that it was a regular foul on Wilson. I was very frustrated that they went to the monitor on this all night but didn’t when Al got an elbow to the neck from the 7’4” kid.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Yeah and I thought the play that Yakwe was given a flagrant foul on in the Iowa game was more of a mutual hook. It was hard to tell, even on replay, who was hooking who.
It always is. Bigs get their arms entwined all the time working for position/advantage. It's been part of the game since the first shot was missed and people had to rebound.
It's also how my shoulder got ruined in 1962. I want a flagrant called on that guy from Harding.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
coaches need to coach players to keep their arms straight or slightly bent when boxing out and fighting for position.

Once you bring your elbow in towards 90 degrees or more you are susceptible to being called for this.

This rule is basically the Dejuan Blair v. Thabeet play and they are trying to eliminate it.

Refs will be all over the place for enforcement. Considering the impact a judgement call can have on any play of the game, it's worth having one assistant coach become an expert on teaching how to avoid it and getting metrics on referees for the night and their record on calling it.
You would think they would add an impeding movement of the other player component to it, at least in practice. The functional rule last night was if two players have bent elbows in the low post proximate to each other call a technical on the UConn player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom