The hook and hold rule | The Boneyard

The hook and hold rule

Reaction Score
All I know is when Danny Hurley is rattled... so am I.

Reaction Score
It’s bs. Same with the ball screen fouls. The whole point of emphasis concept where the refs have to emphasize certain calls every year is dumb. Here is a point of emphasis for the refs: let the kids play! The game has become too choppy and the pendulum needs to swing back the other way

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Really needs to go away. If I’m taller, I can pin your arm and it’s a foul on you every time.

It’s an awful rule.

Just another league being weak Nd overrectionry over a fluke thing.

Reaction Score
The announcers can't even follow what's going on. At one point they claimed that we had committed our 3rd hook-and-hold of the game. All told, we ended up with 1 called against us and 1 called against FSU. But they made it sound like we were committing them left and right.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Rule is fine. It was misapplied today.

Reaction Score
Yakwe had it called on him at the start of the Iowa game, I believe.
Yeah and I thought the play that Yakwe was given a flagrant foul on in the Iowa game was more of a mutual hook. It was hard to tell, even on replay, who was hooking who.

Reaction Score
Yeah and I thought the play that Yakwe was given a flagrant foul on in the Iowa game was more of a mutual hook. It was hard to tell, even on replay, who was hooking who.

I thought Yakwe was the one that got fouled on that play

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Just call it if you see it. Only use the monitor if a player is pulled down. Only make it a Flagrant if a player is pulled down.

Reaction Score
I don't mind the rule if it's applied consistently. I also want players with inside position to have to move their feet. If they stick their arms straight out at the beginning of contact, then there should be no hook foul if a player is trying to fight for position. That said, one of the calls on Carlton was obvious was a foul. He hooked the guy with the intention to keep him from moving his arm or from jumping for the rebound.

Reaction Score
I don't mind the rule if it's applied consistently. I also want players with inside position to have to move their feet. If they stick their arms straight out at the beginning of contact, then there should be no hook foul if a player is trying to fight for position. That said, one of the calls on Carlton was obvious was a foul. He hooked the guy with the intention to keep him from moving his arm or from jumping for the rebound.
^^^ This. You can't have the bigger guy just stick his arms out. Hell, might as well take 3 guys on the front line with 7 ft wingspans do this and they'll be no more offensive rebounds.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
coaches need to coach players to keep their arms straight or slightly bent when boxing out and fighting for position.

Once you bring your elbow in towards 90 degrees or more you are susceptible to being called for this.

This rule is basically the Dejuan Blair v. Thabeet play and they are trying to eliminate it.

Refs will be all over the place for enforcement. Considering the impact a judgement call can have on any play of the game, it's worth having one assistant coach become an expert on teaching how to avoid it and getting metrics on referees for the night and their record on calling it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It’s bs. Same with the ball screen fouls. The whole point of emphasis concept where the refs have to emphasize certain calls every year is dumb. Here is a point of emphasis for the refs: let the kids play! The game has become too choppy and the pendulum needs to swing back the other way

this is true in all of sports, bureaucrats in board rooms changing the games

they're idiots

Reaction Score
The problem with this rule (as if there’s only one), is most times it is a mutual hold. You go from the bottom and clamp your arm in, it’s a hold, but at the same time, the opposing player does from the top and pinches your hand, making it look like a hook and hold. Bottom line,you need to move your feet and get in better rebound position earlier and let the other guy foul you whole fighting over you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom