The Hartford-New Haven TV Market | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Hartford-New Haven TV Market

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Gracious reply to a needlessly jerky post. And while you intended to use the word topography, topology actually works since you were talking about the layout of of DMAs on a map.
I was also answering/quoting someone.

Reaction Score
It's tiny in terms of area. We're already the 3rd smallest state and this particular media market doesn't even cover the whole thing. Look at a DMA map you can barely make out the northeastern markets on there.
What on earth does land area have to do with it?

Reaction Score
What on earth does land area have to do with it?
It means UConn due to proximity is relevant in multiple markets. This is rarely the case in the middle and western part of the country where it might be hundreds of miles to the next major population center/market. You don't get as much overlap when the markets are bigger in size. UConn made this point in one of its presentation slides posted above that UConn's media market is much bigger than the #30 or 35 ranking would have you believe because it's a stone's throw from Storrs to the NYC and Boston markets. How many schools of our pedigree are similarly situated? Granted media markets may be irrelevant in realignment now, but it can't hurt.

Reaction Score
It means UConn due to proximity is relevant in multiple markets. This is rarely the case in the middle and western part of the country where it might be hundreds of miles to the next major population center/market. You don't get as much overlap when the markets are bigger in size. UConn made this point in one of its presentation slides posted above that UConn's media market is much bigger than the #30 or 35 ranking would have you believe because it's a stone's throw from Storrs to the NYC and Boston markets. How many schools of our pedigree are similarly situated? Granted media markets may be irrelevant in realignment now, but it can't hurt.
I'm aware of all that. I took your post the wrong way and thought you were arguing something else.

Reaction Score
Gracious reply to a needlessly jerky post. And while you intended to use the word topography, topology actually works since you were talking about the layout of of DMAs on a map.
Intentionally jerky only because you guys so frequently brag about UConn's supposed academic superiority. Spin topology however you wish, but as a practical matter, it's the effect of terrain (topography) that in part limited TV reception for those relying on roof-top and rabbit-ears antennas back when DMAs were originally designated by Nielsen. You know, line-of-sight, etc. Signal strength played a part, as well.

Have DMA boundaries since been adjusted to reflect other means of signal and data transmission? I don't know.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Intentionally jerky only because you guys so frequently brag about UConn's supposed academic superiority. Spin topology however you wish, but as a practical matter, it's the effect of terrain (topography) that in part limited TV reception for those relying on roof-top and rabbit-ears antennas back when DMAs were originally designated by Nielsen. You know, line-of-sight, etc. Signal strength played a part, as well.

Have DMA boundaries since been adjusted to reflect other means of signal and data transmission? I don't know.
You seem to be champing for a fight. I'll never understand why some people are so angry on the Internet. My suspicion is things aren't going well for them elsewhere in life and that misery just leaks into their online usage.

In any event, if you're going to be critical of someone else is use of terminology, you really need to get it right. In this case, topology was actually an appropriate usage albeit not the intended one. There's no spin to that, other than the definition of the word. Perhaps you should follow your advice to the original poster, and Google words that you don't fully understand before you criticize other posters' usage.

Reaction Score
You seem to be champing for a fight. I'll never understand why some people are so angry on the Internet. My suspicion is things aren't going well for them elsewhere in life and that misery just leaks into their online usage.

In any event, if you're going to be critical of someone else is use of terminology, you really need to get it right. In this case, topology was actually an appropriate usage albeit not the intended one. There's no spin to that, other than the definition of the word. Perhaps you should follow your advice to the original poster, and Google words that you don't fully understand before you criticize other posters' usage.
Thanks, but I am the OP and I was only mildly bemused. If someone wants to go after word usage there are a lot more egregious examples than that even assuming he was right. That's pretty esoteric stuff to get wound around the axle about.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks, but I am the OP and I was only mildly bemused. If someone wants to go after word usage there are a lot more egregious examples than that even assuming he was right. That's pretty esoteric stuff to get wound around the axle about.
Exactly. It's a mute point. I don't know what affect it had anyway. Their just being salty. It's not like we need grammar police here anyway.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was actually referring to is exchange with @pepband99.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Exactly. It's a mute point. I don't know what affect it had anyway. Their just being salty. It's not like we need grammar police here anyway.

You spelled grammer wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom