The Hartford-New Haven TV Market | The Boneyard

The Hartford-New Haven TV Market

Reaction Score
Can someone who actually knows characterize the market for us? I have read the Wiki and other sources and I am still unclear. The issue is that we are so close to Springfield and the Pioneer Valley and yet that topology is excluded? Consigned to some other category for purposes of discussing UConn's addressable market? It just seems illogical and arbitrary by Nielson. I wonder how rigorous their science was when they did that? Especially when BDL serves both cities.

Reaction Score
Hartford-New Haven market is Connecticut ex-Fairfield and Litchfield counties. TV markets in the northeast are tiny because of how close together the cities are and how densely populated the area is. Just in southern New England alone you have part of NYC, Hartford-New Haven, Springfield, Providence-New Bedford, and the Boston markets. If you're looking at the UConn TV market you have to treat it a bit differently than you would other big state universities out in the middle of the country. If you're trying to accurately gauge market size, I think you have to take into consideration the ratings UConn gets in its adjoining markets as well.

Reaction Score
Hartford-New Haven market is Connecticut ex-Fairfield and Litchfield counties. TV markets in the northeast are tiny because of how close together the cities are and how densely populated the area is. Just in southern New England alone you have part of NYC, Hartford-New Haven, Springfield, Providence-New Bedford, and the Boston markets. If you're looking at the UConn TV market you have to treat it a bit differently than you would other big state universities out in the middle of the country. If you're trying to accurately gauge market size, I think you have to take into consideration the ratings UConn gets in its adjoining markets as well.
geez, Hartford-New Haven is not tiny, it’s #34 in the entire USA without Fairfield County. With Fairfield County it’s #21/22. This is not tiny. Don’t feed the trolls.

Reaction Score
geez, Hartford-New Haven is not tiny, it’s #34 in the entire USA without Fairfield County. With Fairfield County it’s #21/22. This is not tiny. Don’t feed the trolls.
And the point is that if you include its overlap with Springfield it would be so much bigger!! Springfield is closer to UConn venues than New Haven.

Reaction Score
It's tiny in terms of area. We're already the 3rd smallest state and this particular media market doesn't even cover the whole thing. Look at a DMA map you can barely make out the northeastern markets on there.

Reaction Score
It's tiny in terms of area. We're already the 3rd smallest state and this particular media market doesn't even cover the whole thing. Look at a DMA map you can barely make out the northeastern markets on there.

its not the map size that matters, its number of households. Look at Alaska, big DMA? yes or no.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Bolded is wrong. Litchfield is in Hartford/New Haven. Only Fairfield is in NYC.

DMA.png

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Can someone who actually knows characterize the market for us? I have read the Wiki and other sources and I am still unclear. The issue is that we are so close to Springfield and the Pioneer Valley and yet that topology is excluded? Consigned to some other category for purposes of discussing UConn's addressable market? It just seems illogical and arbitrary by Nielson. I wonder how rigorous their science was when they did that? Especially when BDL serves both cities.

You had it right by citing topology.

The main gist: DMAs largely exist due to their topology, as related to their transmitter sites. Back in the stone age, when everyone got their TV with an antenna, you would be in the market of whatever you could get. Those on the fringes got lumped in with the closest possible, and there you have it.

As for UConn, at a dead minimum, you could easily "claim" all of Hartford/New Haven, Fairfield County, along with portions of the rest of NYC/Springfield/Boston, with a sprinkling of Providence/New Bedford and Albany.

Reaction Score

The main gist: DMAs largely exist due to their topology, as related to their transmitter sites. Back in the stone age, when everyone got their TV with an antenna, you would be in the market of whatever you could get. Those on the fringes got lumped in with the closest possible, and there you have it.

As for UConn, at a dead minimum, you could easily "claim" all of Hartford/New Haven, Fairfield County, along with portions of the rest of NYC/Springfield/Boston, with a sprinkling of Providence/New Bedford and Albany.
Gotta think UConn is all over this point in their presentations on additive value.

Reaction Score
lol you take this ish way too seriously my man
Just trying to get educated. Since this topic is at the heart of the additive calculation, any sane person would assume that UConn has had some high powered consultants constructing the advocacy.

Reaction Score
Just trying to get educated. Since this topic is at the heart of the additive calculation, any sane person would assume that UConn has had some high powered consultants constructing the advocacy.
Of course they've done it. I'm sure they did it the last time we went around this merry go round with the Big 12. A saying that I'm sure they are familiar with in that conference: this ain't our first rodeo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This is a lot less important now than it was in 2016. There's no Big XII channel looking for cable carriage like the B1G, SEC and ACC have. The market isn't irrelevant, but it isn't the focus anymore. The shift is really to name recognition and branding. We have that for hoops, and it is possible it can carry over to football.
Win a few P5 games and it will be there in spades for football. The message will be, oh, they are headed back to glory day. Good for them.

Just win baby.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Win a few P5 games and it will be there in spades for football. The message will be, oh, they are headed back to glory day. Good for them.

Just win baby.
That's the thing. I think Yormark realizes brands are extendable. UConn Huskies is just memorable. It's amazing branding with the phonetic Yukon immediately evoking images of Huskies. We aren't known for football, but we are known. I think the same is true of Kansas, and the Jayhawk logo is considered one of the most recognizable in college sports.

There is evidence for this happening. Oregon wasn't a big deal in football until they really ramped up the branding and wild color schemes. Boise State has the blue field. Clemson owes so much to that iconic tiger paw logo. I think that's why UConn tried the crazy helmets a few years back. KU finally put the Jayhawk on the helmet.

Reaction Score

Just win baby.

We had some success under Edsall 1.0 and we were a media darling at times. Remember the buzz around us heading into our opener at the Big House? On top of the brand recognition, we have a beloved and well known coach now. The media adores him. This thing is going to take off like a rocket if we start winning a good number of football games.

Reaction Score

Topology or topography? Unless you guys were business, art history, or sociology majors, you should know that there's a substantial difference in meaning between topology and topography, and that they aren't interchangeable. Google the two words and learn.

Reaction Score

Just win baby.

An upset of NCST would be huge, but it’s not a game by game decision. Just get the yahoos off our back.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Topology or topography? Unless you guys were business, art history, or sociology majors, you should know that there's a substantial difference in meaning between topology and topography, and that they aren't interchangeable. Google the two words and learn.
Indeed. Sorry about that

Reaction Score
Indeed. Sorry about that
Actually, either one would be OK. Topography implies elevation data while topology is a more general term. I was a math major. I do not need to look it up. There is a more general meaning than "the study of ...".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom