The Half-Court O | The Boneyard

The Half-Court O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One last time for the season. Some people here have claimed that we run some "sophisticated" stuff and Kenny Smith talked about our pro sets, etc. For the first 20ish minutes of this game we literally ran nothing. It was one-on-one every time because it was difficult to even complete a pass. They were overplaying so much that they only passes we could get off were "post-ups" to our wings 25 feet away. I think on our first 4 or 5 possessions, Shonn had the ball 25 feet from the hoop looking for someone to pass to as the shot clock ran down. We then cleared out and for the most part tried to go one-on-one.

We made some adjustments in the second half, but why did it take so long? It's insane that the announcers were actually stating that we weren't running any plays and then lauding us when we actually ran something. I know Kansas was much better than us, and we were flawed, but it was ridiculous to watch their offense that had more than one person moving at once, more than one pass per possession and for the most part a total dearth of just 1 on 5 basketball. If we went back to the first game of the year, I think it was Mau who posted a thread asking us what we wanted to see. I responded that I was hoping to see a return to some semblance of an offense. Well, 36 games later, I'm still waiting.

I know we were flawed, I know our bigs didn't bring a tremendous amount to the table, and I know our guards aren't great handlers and obviously, that has an effect. But it seemed like we ran our offense in slow motion in the first half. It seemed like Kansas knew exactly what we were going to do, and it seemed like almost every shot in the first half was a prayer of sorts.

I really hope with a year of growth for Jalen and Rodney and the addition of Gilbert, that we will actually start playing offense again that is not utterly putrid to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom