OT: - The Grass Isn't Always Greener for Transfers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The Grass Isn't Always Greener for Transfers

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
And looking at our own transfers, I was surprised to see that Piath Gabriel, the muscular 6'5" post player who left for UMass-Amherst, has made no impact at all. One would have thought that playing with a lesser team in a lesser league would have provided lots of opportunities to shine for Gabriel. But she's played in just eleven games, logging barely 40 minutes, making just six baskets in total and three free throws. Not sure the story there, but transferring did not result in success. At least, it didn't for her first season there.

I followed them a little bit, the head coach keeps a really short bench and only seems to trust his veterans. Which was too bad, they have no height starting and I believe it killed them in the loss to SLU.

Reaction Score
With over 1000 women entering the transfer portal each year, we tend to focus on the top 1-2%. The bigger story may be what causes so many women to transfer and what was the final benefit to them, if any, of the move.
One reason I liked the sit out rule is it gave people a reason to pause before throwing their name in the hat to transfer. I think there are plenty of very good reasons to transfer and I don't believe any player should have been blocked by a coach from leaving or leaving for a particular destination, and I know both happened.

I do think that students mature between their HS and college days and have a better idea of what they want and what is a better fit. Coaching changes can also upset the apple cart and I hold nothing against anyone who does that. Additionally, COVID Year and Grad transfers don't really get to me as they are mainly players looking for better opportunities.

However, I will maintain that I don't think 1300 college kids made a bad choice, had a coaching change, or want better academic opportunities. I believe many want to play their game on their terms and frankly enjoy the attention and adoration of being recruited again by someone else. I believe it's more about player ego and their goals. That doesn't mean I think transferring is bad but I think the sit out one year rule should still be in effect.

Now I will go outside and shake my fist at a cloud from my front porch rocking chair or something.

Reaction Score
Two decisions over the past couple of years by the NCAA to allow all 2020-2021 college athletes 5 years of eligibility along with the rule granting 1st time transfers immediate eligibility has led to an explosion of transfers throughout college sports. This is especially the case in WBB, where opportunities to play professionally are limited at best. While many transfers have found happiness at their new schools, (think Dorka :) and Lou :)) it has hardly been the case for every transfer.

Players transfer for many reasons: better environment, better coaching, more PT, closer to home, opportunity to play for a championship team or “all of the above.” Last season, the two most noteworthy transfers in all of WBB left the University of MD’s perennial top-10 program for greener pastures. Angel Reese has thrived as “Bayou Barbie” for Kim Mulky’s LSU Tiger team. But Reese’s former teammate, Ashley Owusu has floundered at VA Tech.

When star shooting guard and AA Ashley Owusu announced her decision to join forces with dominant 6’6” post and ACC POY Elizabeth Kitley at VA Tech, many pundits felt that the Hokies would win the ACC and make a deep run in the postseason. As it is, VA Tech finished a game back of ND during the ACC regular season, subsequently winning the ACC Conference Tournament convincingly. But VA Tech’s accomplishments have little to do with Owusu.

Owusu started her first 7 games at VA Tech, putting up decent numbers against primarily a cupcake schedule. But unfortunately, Owusu broke her pinky in December, and missed a bunch of games. During that period of time, Kayana Traylor stepped in for Owusu as the #2 guard, putting up similar numbers against better, in-conference competition, while playing much tougher defense than Owusu.

When Owusu returned in late January, HC Kenny Brooks tried to work her back into the rotation, but Owusu’s performance was lackluster at best. At the same time, VA Tech began to look like a dominant WBB team, winning their last 11 conference matchups including the ACC tournament. To add insult to injury, in 4 of the last 5 VA Tech games a fully healthy Owusu didn’t play a single minute.

Coach Brooks has been diplomatic, indicating that Owusu’s injury prevented her from fully integrating with the team. But the underlying message in his comment is that the Hokies are a better team without Owusu in the lineup, something that is stunning when you consider that she was one of the very best one-on-one scorers in all of WBB at MD. While Owusu still has a 5th year of eligibility, she has indicated that she will forego the extra year and make herself available for the upcoming WNBA draft.

I don’t mean to pick on Owusu. She seems like a nice young lady with a strong work ethic. Of all the transfers after last season, she was the one I most coveted to become a Husky. I’m sure the BY can come up with dozens of transfers who met with similar disappointment at their new school. It is a reminder to all of us that in sports, as well as life, nothing is guaranteed.
Would Owusu even get drafted? I've seen her play but her game is not overwhelming and I don't know that it translates to the WNBA.

sun

Reaction Score
Geno has also needed to make decisions similar to the one involving Owusu and no doubt will need to again in the future.
Players can lose their edge or a step due to injury, and when others step up then roles on the team can change along with PT decisions.
That's happened in the past with Anna Makurat as her PT & production declined, and to a lesser extent with Evina.
It can depend on the other players that are or are not available and their production and how they fill their roles.
I expect that next year Geno's circumstances & PT decisions can produce a lot of surprises.
At least Piath Gabriel can seek a 5th year to keep improving her chances of playing more just like Mir McLean after her major injury.

Just as easily as some players can improve their skills & up their game, others can lose them.
Athletes aren't machines and coaches can have some time restrictions & ambivalence regarding what they can accomplish during & after a player's absence.
Constantly having new players emerge & develop during a season can lead to any player to sit if the coach is constantly analyzing performances objectively.
They're getting paid to try to have a perfect season & win conference & NC's. They're loyalty is to their program, school & career and not to any particular player that may cost the team. There's many decisions that coaches need to make when there's a lot of extra bench talent & no time or forgiveness for making errors in judgment. The coaches have a boss that evaluates their decisions too along with the many 1000's of fans watching on TV.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Would Owusu even get drafted? I've seen her play but her game is not overwhelming and I don't know that it translates to the WNBA.
She’s an outstanding one on one offensive player. Somebody will take her in the 3-round WNBA draft. Whether or not she’ll make a WNBA team is questionable.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Owusu was one of the most exciting players in women's basketball 2 years ago. She looked like the second coming of Chelsea Gray-a big strong scoring point guard guard with incredible handles, a great mid range shot, elite level passing and she orchestrated the nation's best offense. Seriously, Maryland's offense was scary good in 2020-21. They averaged 91 ppg and had an optimal combination of playmakers and shooters. Ashley was always a PG at Maryland, never a shooting guard. I have no idea how she received the best shooting guard award that year or why she gets classified as a SG sometimes.

Last year at Maryland something just seemed off about her all season. She didn't have quite the same flare/rhythm and it appears she hasn't been able to recapture that at VT. I do think it'd be a worthwhile gamble for a team to use their 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on her if she's draft bound as someone else noted. She looked like a potential top 5 pick a couple of years ago and could get back to that place if she finds the magic that made her so great. Realistically though I think she has an uphill battle if she doesn't come back for a 5th year. I'm not sure anyone would give her a roster spot and give her time to develop/get back into game shape. The raw skill and talent is there but I think she needs time to rediscover herself as a player, and the W isn't often forgiving to those types.

In regards to her transfer situation, I'm willing to bet that she doesn't regret leaving Maryland, as players/people rarely ever regret leaving somewhere they weren't happy, but she probably wishes she transferred to a different school than VT considering the outcome of this season.

Reaction Score
She’s an outstanding one on one offensive player. Somebody will take her in the 3-round WNBA draft. Whether or not she’ll make a WNBA team is questionable.
Many had projected her as a first round WNBA pick, prior to this year. I’m kinda surprised that she doesn’t plan on using her 5th year at a school that could take advantage of her talents - and potentially build back her credibility.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One reason I liked the sit out rule is it gave people a reason to pause before throwing their name in the hat to transfer.
Why do you assume the player didn't already "pause" before they decided to transfer? Maybe the grass wasn't greener at their first choice? The sit out rule was so unfair to the players. The current system is better than anything that has come before.

Reaction Score
One of the challenges for any HC who is attempting to integrate transfers into a regular rotation is that it takes time, something discussed by Coach Brooks when responding to questions about the inability of Owusu to find a role at Va Tech. Owusu was one of 2 high profile transfers brought in by the Hokies this season.

The other transfer, Taylor Soule from BC, took some time to become acclimated to Coach Brooks system. But Soule has remained healthy and is now a mainstay of VA Tech’s starting 5.

Every school, including UConn, has struggled with the process of integrating transfers. With that said, Lou is the exception. No transfer I know of has been able to seemlessly step in to a critical role at a demanding D1 program like Lou has done at UConn. That’s a testament to Lou’s ability, intelligence and commitment.
Lou--thank You LOU--and Dorka--are the exception and mess up the rule. Geno has going way back tried a transfer and most have proven his --no transfers--correct, EXCEPT in necessity.
If each Transfer fit in as well as Lou or Dorka (who blossomed as a Husky) I'd tell Geno to --Load UP.
But that isn't the usual. Two of the best and were OUR exceptionals!!

Reaction Score
Why do you assume the player didn't already "pause" before they decided to transfer? Maybe the grass wasn't greener at their first choice? The sit out rule was so unfair to the players. The current system is better than anything that has come before.
I can't say for sure they did or didn't pause. I will reiterate I just don't think 1300 players found themselves in bad situations when the number was significantly less before immediate eligibility was allowed.

Transfers who sat out received scholarships, were to take part in all team activities, practice, have the benefits of being on the team, and sit with them at home games. The only thing it did not allow them to do is travel or play in contests, which they were able to get that year of playing time added back to their eligibility clock. To me, that year of sitting out wasn't punishing the student athlete and it didn't appear to be a problem until a few years ago. The fairness is debatable of course.

The genie will never go back in the bottle so what I think doesn't matter.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Many had projected her as a first round WNBA pick, prior to this year. I’m kinda surprised that she doesn’t plan on using her 5th year at a school that could take advantage of her talents - and potentially build back her credibility.
The only problem is that if Owusu transfers a 2nd time, she sits out a year before she plays in her 5th year. You only get one “get out of jail free” card in the NCAA, and Owusu has already used hers at MD. She could remain at VA Tech for her 5th year, but considering she’s seeing almost no PT currently, I suspect she wants to move on ASAP.

Reaction Score
going to be ecstatic when this covid extra year is done with, was such a stupid rule. If anyone deserved a 5th year was the kids who missed out of the 2020 tourny.
Are you referring to seniors or those enrolled for the 2019-2020 season? Just to be clear.

Reaction Score
And looking at our own transfers, I was surprised to see that Piath Gabriel, the muscular 6'5" post player who left for UMass-Amherst, has made no impact at all. One would have thought that playing with a lesser team in a lesser league would have provided lots of opportunities to shine for Gabriel. But she's played in just eleven games, logging barely 40 minutes, making just six baskets in total and three free throws. Not sure the story there, but transferring did not result in success. At least, it didn't for her first season there.

Having watched her limited minutes at UConn, that doesn’t really surprise me at all.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Do we need to get a player from the portal next year? I think not. In the post we have an all American in Aaliyah, supported by Ayanna, Ice, and Jana. It would be nice to have Amari in the equation, but I am not counting on it. As long as injuries don't hit our posts, that should be enough to get what we want with the tremendous guard and wing talent we will have next year. The following year might be different, but as far as next, lets cross our fingers and just go with what we got. Of course, if we can get a post in the 24 class, that would make the decision much easier. Calling Sara Strong, where are you?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Do we need to get a player from the portal next year? I think not. In the post we have an all American in Aaliyah, supported by Ayanna, Ice, and Jana. It would be nice to have Amari in the equation, but I am not counting on it. As long as injuries don't hit our posts, that should be enough to get what we want with the tremendous guard and wing talent we will have next year. The following year might be different, but as far as next, lets cross our fingers and just go with what we got. Of course, if we can get a post in the 24 class, that would make the decision much easier. Calling Sara Strong, where are you?
Assuming that everyone is healthy, UConn will be loaded at G & F. Center is the big question mark. While Aaliyah, Ayanna & Ice can probably get by at C, they all look to be far more effective at F.

That leaves Amari & Jana as true centers. As you point out, it’s hard to count on Amari, and while we all have great hopes for Jana, she’s yet to play a single minute at UConn.

So if there’s an experienced graduate transfer who could play center for UConn (another Dorka?) I think Geno should seriously consider her. Otherwise, I believe Geno stands pat relative to the transfer portal.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I know it's been said in this thread, but I still can't get over how quickly Lou fit into the UConn flow. Geno said it the first week of summer workouts, she's a starter.

He's also said repeatedly later in the season, she's a pro. Every WNBA GM should take note. Those aren't words Geno just throws around. I hope she goes someplace with a coach who knows how to run an offense. Minnesota comes immediately to mind.

Reaction Score
With over 1000 women entering the transfer portal each year, we tend to focus on the top 1-2%. The bigger story may be what causes so many women to transfer and what was the final benefit to them, if any, of the move.

I think before evaluating anything that you need to sort them into graduate transfers and those who transferred before earning a degree. There are lots of players who had no choice but to transfer if they wanted to continue playing basketball. Many schools do not have graduate programs or they don’t have the right graduate program or they simply do not allow 5th year players to play.

Reaction Score
Broken pinky’s can take much longer to heal completely than the larger bones in your hand. Just saying.
We all heal differently. I dislocated my pinky tossing a football around with my nephews at a family picnic over 10 years ago. My pinky was sideways and one nephew wanted to reset it by yanking on it. I declined and went to emergency the next day. I'm happy I did as they fixed it the right way under local. My finger is a bit curvier than the other and still more sensitive.

Reaction Score
I know it's been said in this thread, but I still can't get over how quickly Lou fit into the UConn flow. Geno said it the first week of summer workouts, she's a starter.

He's also said repeatedly later in the season, she's a pro. Every WNBA GM should take note. Those aren't words Geno just throws around. I hope she goes someplace with a coach who knows how to run an offense. Minnesota comes immediately to mind.
Me neither. That was crazy how well she worked out and was able to just seamlessly play on this team like she had been here for years.

Reaction Score
It is quite possible, even probable, that we will have above average play at the 5 next year from either Ice, Jana, or both. Like you I don't think we can count on Amari, but there is still some hope there. As for Ayanna, I expect her to improve, but this year was below Uconn level standards for a good backup. So while there are three high level "prospects" including Ayanna with Ice and Jana, there is only one very good proven big in Aaliyah IMO.

So my interest in the portal is not to just pick up another body, or injury protection with a big in the portal, but rather having my antenna out for that rare very good experienced C who for one year could start, and be as good or better than say Dorka this year or Liv her senior year. That type of player that is plug and play ready, could be significantly better than what we could realistically expect from Ice or Jana in their first year.

I expect both of those players to be very good by the time they are juniors or seniors, but out of necessity we probably need one of those to start their first year, and the other to be the principle backup, unless we go small ball, which admittedly is a decent alternative but I don't think is optimal.

So suppose another Dorka was out there, not a disgruntled freshmen with red flags, but someone who has had a good career elsewhere, who because of injury or the extra year granted from Covid wanted to experience something different, at perhaps the highest ranked school in the country going into next year, that is absolutely loaded at every other position but C, where they have promising talent but lack experience. That would be the cherry on top of a perfect lineup, a proven experienced star at the 5 and two talented newcomers to fight for the backup minutes and gain some experience for next year.

Obviously there are very few players that would be like that, and they may not enter the portal, and if we run with Ice and Jana we will still be very good, but Covid, grad transfers and injuries create some unique situations. Just two years ago not just Dorka, but with Cardosa there were two C's that would meet that criteria.

There may be none this year, but without naming names I could see a few possibilities due to the circumstances. For example there was a star at Kansas State that missed her senior year with a knee injury. She might have expected at this time to be looking forward to seeing her name called early in the WNBA draft. She could enter the draft, but probably would not be ready to play their season, but could be ready by the fall for another NCAA season. She could of course return to her existing school, or decide to experience something new, perhaps at a program way better than her existing one, filling a need, maybe like Lou for us this year.

Other C's have had senior years disrupted by injuries that could affect their availability for the earlier WNBA season that could be ready for next year's college season. They may go pro or return to their existing team, but injuries that have recovery times beyond the upcoming WNBA season create a more interesting decision for them, and being a cherry on top for Uconn is a unique opportunity.

Other schools with very good senior C's who missed time because of a season ending injury are Iowa State, Tennessee and Oregon. I'm not saying it is likely, but possible that a player in that position would consider Uconn for one year, a dream they couldn't pass up. Otherwise if you didn't think a transfer could be as good or better than first year Ice or Jana don't bother.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom