The good news from a way too close game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The good news from a way too close game

Reaction Score
Interesting how a post about the clutch play of our two new starters has transformed into a discussion of an abnormal free throwing performance from Pheesa.... Negative Nellies! LOL

Did you watch the game? There is a laundry list of issues that could be brought up about this team, questioning Collier's FT shooting is one of them. Colliers poor FT shooting(especially down the stretch) stemmed from her being tired, because UConn has nothing even resembling a bench outside of Nelson-Ododa!

Reaction Score
I was going to post exactly what CTtoSD just posted. :rolleyes: This is very big for the March-to-come. I don't really want to talk about the "Big 3" anymore. These two--CW and MW--are equal parts now. And they will just get better and better.

Now Touley has played her first meaningful minutes at UConn. More to come.

I am very happy with this game. We will grow.

The few minutes Touley was out there on the court, she made things happen. NO hesitation. Strong rebounder, went for a loose ball that became a three pointer. Nice!

Reaction Score
Everyone talks about colliers free throws how Kim’s poor shooting thru out the game

Reaction Score
Gutty performance. A good nights work. Plenty to work on.

Very nice game by the Johnnies.

Reaction Score
Last time I checked free throws are FREE not like being face guarded and drawing 2 defenders when you touch the ball. Nice try tho. Hey this was a close game with Uconn not playing their best and they gutted it out, probably better than to keep winning by large margins as now they can see what they need to work on. This will help and it is not like any other team has ever had close games, THEY ALL have.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My biggest concern is the defense. I just saw the game and even in the 4th Q when we made the run. until they started to panic at the end, SJU kept getting good mid range shots (not to mention Offensive Rebounds) time after time and they just missed them. I hope maybe it is due to the surroundings and multiple games etc but it has to be a major major concern. On the positive side, MW and CW coming up with big threes at crunch time has to do a world of good for their confidence and their teammates having confidence in them because if teams are allowed to key in on our big 3, it will be a slog.

Reaction Score
Don, I didn’t bad mouth the bench. I simply stated a statistical fact. How much play they get or don’t get is up to them. There is a huge difference between being critical of individual or team play, and merely recognizing game stats. The stats are what they are.

Do you really think that the bench players go to practice and just play slap and tickle? This notion that only 5, 6, or at most, 7, players earn playing time in practice is getting old. I'm willing to bet that every one goes to practice and busts their asses, every day. One doesn't get to become a Div 1 athlete by being lazy. Phees is a tremendous player, but having her play against bigger post players for 40 minutes every night is going to wear her down.

Reaction Score
Last time I checked free throws are FREE not like being face guarded and drawing 2 defenders when you touch the ball. Nice try tho. Hey this was a close game with Uconn not playing their best and they gutted it out, probably better than to keep winning by large margins as now they can see what they need to work on. This will help and it is not like any other team has ever had close games, THEY ALL have.
Did u watch the game see her shots

Reaction Score
Williams is playing 32 mins. per, but taking less than 6 shots per game. This is not good. She shoots well(52 %)and can score in many ways. I really think the coaches and her teammates have got to focus on her getting more shots. I think there has been a failure so far on the parts of Samuelson and Collier to get her more involved. It looks at times, to me, that they both think they've got to score a ton of points( and ,thus, forcing shots) for UConn to be successful. It's really clear that they have 5 people who can score. So use them all! Coombs and Camara can play, and should play. They will get better, and help against the better teams. I don't see Molly or Kyla ever really helping against the better teams. Coombs, Camara and Olivia should get most all of the bench minutes, and they could have a decent 8 later in the season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe this is elsewhere? Geno's take:

“The three of them were our biggest problem, and I say that in a good way,” Auriemma said. “They were trying to win the game by themselves without involving the other two guys, and you can’t play three against five. You can’t have three of our guys being guarded by five of theirs, which is what was happening. So we kept talking all game about [how] we have to involve all five players, and once Megan made a huge three and Christyn made a huge three. Once we got them more involved in what we were doing things started to loosen up a little.”

“There should be more interesting games [like that] for us as the season goes on,” Auriemma said. “Not every game is going to be we score 100 and the other team scores 50 and we all live happily ever after. Some games it’s going to be a struggle — it’s going to be a struggle to get shots, and it’s going to be a struggle to make shots. … If you’re going to be a championship kind of team, you’ve got to be able to win all kinds of games. We just as easily could’ve just lost that game instead of won that game. But we made some big, big, big plays in the last five minutes, and that was the difference in the game.”

UConn women pull away from St. John's in final minutes for 65-55 win

Reaction Score
What are the odds of Pheesa missing 5 foul shots? Has that ever happened before?
Remember Donyell, who had made 20 of 20 vs St John’s, missing two free throws vs FL that would’ve sent us to the final 4 ( just one would’ve!). We’re all human, not robots.

Reaction Score
Napheesa was a wonderful steadying presence in this game. With elegant fast wheels, and like a Jaguar, on the move.

Reaction Score
Don, I didn't bad mouth the bench. Since it was ME and no one else that made that statement, it's OK for you to address your response to ME, and not generalize it to "people". I simply stated a statistical fact. How much play they get or don’t get is up to them according to Geno. There is a huge difference between being critical of individual or team play, and merely recognizing game stats. The stats are what they are.
Scoop: You’re right ...the stats are what they are...including the playing time of the bench. Geno has proven again and again he knows what he’s doing..but one cannot help but be concerned ( and it may change over the course of the early season) whether the bench will be able to contribute when needed. Nothing beats actual game experience.( St John’s obviously wasn’t the time...but there were and will be other games).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Do you really think that the bench players go to practice and just play slap and tickle? This notion that only 5, 6, or at most, 7, players earn playing time in practice is getting old. I'm willing to bet that every one goes to practice and busts their asses, every day. One doesn't get to become a Div 1 athlete by being lazy. Phees is a tremendous player, but having her play against bigger post players for 40 minutes every night is going to wear her down.

OMG!!! I never thought such an innocent comment would draw such negative responses. I stand firmly behind my comment. Shenandoah, I have no problem with you commenting or rebutting any of my comments. BUT......................When you do, you can't put YOUR words in my mouth to bolster your argument. "Do you really think that the bench players go to practice and just play slap and tickle?" Did I say this? No I didn't. Did I suggest that UConn players go to practice and play slap tickle? No. "One doesn't get to become a Div 1 athlete by being lazy" Did I say this? No I didn't. Where did I mention, state or suggest that any UConn player is lazy? Nowhere in my comment did I mention Napheesa Collier.

It's amazing to me how you can come up with these conclusions/opinions from one bland and naked fact. You're going way out of your way to rebut my comment and make your point by saying things I did not say or imply.

As far as players earning time on the floor, this is a fact of life in Geno's program. It's been that way for the last 34 years. Anyone that is a UConn fan, or has been following the program for any length of time knows this. Geno has stated this out of his mouth in numerous media interviews over the years. That is not MY "notion" as you call it. That is Geno's rule. I do not determine who gets playing time off the bench, Geno does. So if you think it's getting old, and have a problem with it, you need to direct your anger and angst at HIM.

PVdoggy, Donalddoowop and you are looking at the disparity in the 11-1 bench point differential differently than I am. PVDoggy's arguent was that their bench played 40 minutes to UConn's 11, thus the large difference in points. When I see the 11-1 difference, I wonder why the SJ coach has more faith in his bench than Geno has in his.

I'm suggesting that the quality of the players on UConn's bench is better than that on SJ's. With rare exception, UConn recruits only highly ranked top 100 players. This is another opinion we can debate if you like.

You're injecting your own personal thoughts/opinions as to what you think I meant, and the way you perceived it. I said: "The only negative I took away from this game was that the St. John’s bench out scored UConn’s 11-1". As I mentioned before, this is a statistical FACT. You can argue or debate opinions, but you can't argue facts. All I did was repeat this stat the exact same way it was given to us on the radio by Bob Joyce. He read off a list of game stats. This was one of them. Anytime your bench gets outscored, it's NOT a positive. Stats are either positive, or negative. Just like battery terminals.

I would wager without checking, there is not a single player on SJ's bench that was ranked in the top 100 of their respective class. I see the negative here as SJ's coach has more faith and trust in his reserves against the #2 ranked team in the country, than Geno does in his against an unranked mid-major. This was proven by the minutes Tartamella gave his bench, versus the minutes Geno gave his. Even though theoretically, Geno has better players on his bench than Tartamella does. I don't know how you view this dynamic, but I see this as a negative.

You're venting at me personally for having an opinion and mentioning a factual game statistic. Really Shenandoah? I can only imagine the critical and tyrannical posts that will be posted here after a loss. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. It would not surprise me if a poster or two suggests that Geno is washed up, can no longer coach and calls for his head. :confused: There will be losses (plural). Now, if you want to argue something, argue that. This UConn team will not go undefeated.

St. Johns played UConn very close until the last minute. St. Johns is unranked. Looking ahead, UConn will play 6 teams that are currently ranked in the top 25. I expect UConn to get tougher play from these 6 teams than they did from St. Johns. UConn may look and play a lot worse against these 6 than they did last night.

This may also be the year UConn loses it's first AAC game. Don't forget the 63-60 narrow win at Temple 2 years ago. The other AAC teams are slowly closing the gap and improving the quality of their programs by recruiting better players and hiring new coaches.

Remember, on any given night, a series of bad calls leading to early foul trouble for one or more of our starters, an injury to a starter, etc, and there you have it. Or simply a team is up for you, and is balling out figuring they have nothing to lose.....as St. Johns did last night, and Stanford did in 2014.

That's also how Louisville beat Baylor in the 2013 NCAA final 4 to clear the way for UConn to win the NC that year. Baylor was highly favored to win the NC that year, not UConn. They had already lost to Notre Dame 3 times that year, and to Baylor (Feb 18) 76-70. Some teams don't fear UConn anymore. If Haley Jones chooses to go else where, they'll fear UConn even less.

As Longtime fan says in a post below, "We have to be prepared to lose some games during the season." :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
They did work. Ball wasn't falling and other team had it going. We have tired legs and have to recognize some things... Christyn isn't taking enough shots, there's too much settling for perimeter shots when any one of the starting 5 can go to the rim. These things should be apparent on tape. At the end of the day they are growing into a team and it will take time. They fought and outlasted the opponent. Let's celebrate that! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
On January 4, 2015, UCONN had a tough time with St Johns at Madison Square Garden, winning 70-54. Morgan Tuck led a second half surge that settled the game and she scored 23 points total. Stewart had 18; Jefferson had 16; KML had 6; Nurse had 5 points. Gabby Williams, Saniya Chong, and Kiah Stokes were on the bench. The bench had one field goal, Kiah Stokes, and 2 points total.

I think that St. Johns was the last unranked team that UCONN lost to?

Bingo! FF. That's exactly the memory I had of St. Johns, which gave me a bit of pause before the game began. UConn was upset by the Red Storm in MSG, the last time the Huskies lost to an unranked team. Because UConn wins so regularly, there's a tendency to recall the losses along with important wins. Last evening several factors entered in to what was a scary, scary night: SJU had a plan and stuck to it (slow things down and let the clock run out), and the Huskies' offense was out of sync and they were turning the ball over repeatedly. Credit the Storm with an effective approach, one other opponents will try to emulate. And credit our three #1 recruits with each lobbing up a 3 when we needed points the most. Frankly, my dear, I could do w/out these games . . .
(I should add that both Louisville and Texas had even more aggro last night than we did.)

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Scoop: You’re right ...the stats are what they are...including the playing time of the bench. Geno has proven again and again he knows what he’s doing..but one cannot help but be concerned ( and it may change over the course of the early season) whether the bench will be able to contribute when needed. Nothing beats actual game experience.( St John’s obviously wasn't the time...but there were and will be other games).

Posters are taking pot shots at me for stating a simple fact. Whats happens when I state an opinion they don't agree with? :eek: I had not seen the game when I shared that stat. I still haven't. I'll watch it later today. My reference to that stat has nothing to do with whether I saw the game or not. We're 4 games into the season. The dust is beginning to settle.

The reserves have been given several opportunities in real time to show the coaches what they can do, and to what extent they can be trusted. They don't have to impress me, I'm not the coach. They have to impress Geno, and so far (based on last last night's game and the 11 minutes they got), it doesn't appear that they have Geno's trust and confidence just yet. Bottom line..............this means the starters are going to play a lot of minutes at least through the first half of the season. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Napheesa was a wonderful steadying presence in this game. With elegant fast wheels, and like a Jaguar, on the move.
Here is what saw:
1. St. Johns was not intimidated by the UCONN printed on our team's jersey.
2. In many moments of the game, they played more like UCONN than UCONN.
3. They were effective rebounding against us, even though they usually had a smaller team on the court.
4. While I saw no panic on UCONN, I did see Lou and Pheesa try to takeover the game and do it all by themselves. Dangerfield a bit less so. That is natural, but it won't be successful.
5. As mentioned by others, Williams and Walker both hit "big" threes late. A critical signal that they can balance out the offense.
6. Olivia came in briefly, put up an " eighth grade " shot, and Geno benched her. Mikayla soon did the same, with the same result.
7. Batouly played with hustle and maturity. She fought for a key loose ball that benefitted UCONN.
8. Otherwise, our bench was pretty much useless.
9. Geno had to play the starting 5 the entire game. I don't think Purdue will be as good, but who knows?
10. Dangerfield's prediction ( " with three games in a row, well have to use the bench a lot") will not prove true. Geno won't even use his " go to " formula unless the team is 30 points ahead. The " go to" is: starting 5 in first and third quarters. Starting five for 60% of second, and opening minutes of the final quarter.
11. This game was loaded with teaching moments, and the team must be seeing and feeling its vulnerability.
12. The fast break has disappeared as an offensive threat for this UCONN team. So has the quick turnaround of points off of defensive work ( steals ).

We have to be prepared to lose some games during the season. And that will...believe it or not...serve us well.

Reaction Score
I think there are some here(probably not many) who think that what Coombs ,ONO, and Camara all need is plenty of playing time. That might mean letting them play thru mistakes, and that might mean more closer games. Why, they might even lose a game or two because of letting them play. So what, if those players can help in the more important time of the season. I know, I know, I've got no national championships to back up such out-of-the-box thinking. So sue me.

Reaction Score
Pretty terrific, hard-fought game. Although I recognize that they're an inevitable part of the landscape, I have always held in-season rankings in disdain, and love it when teams perform on a level well-beyond what the so-called experts tell us we should expect. St. John's is obviously very well-coached and very tough. It obviously was not a case of the Huskies at their best, but they also showed toughness when the game was on the line. But I have a new team for which to pull when UConn is not involved.

Reaction Score
I was really happy to see Camara get meaningful minutes and be able to contribute when the team needed her body. That has to be a motivator for the future. It was also good to see CW and MW be able to get it together in the 4th to win. Hopefully they learned the value of one on one defense....

Reaction Score
I was going to post exactly what CTtoSD just posted. :rolleyes: This is very big for the March-to-come. I don't really want to talk about the "Big 3" anymore. These two--CW and MW--are equal parts now. And they will just get better and better.

Now Touley has played her first meaningful minutes at UConn. More to come.

I am very happy with this game. We will grow.

You are more than right about the BIG 5, unlike the oft spoken 3, Williams and Walker are coming of age so to speak. They are no longer maybe part of this team --they too ARE this team. Now Touly is coming along 2 games in a row she was a factor. She fits the middle of the back of that Zone well. Her physical being is intimidating, no one ran over her. ONO, Coombs, and 3 or 4 others need and may get lots of PT in the AAC games. ONO is doing much better in FLOOR defense but she is too often blocked away from the basket. I guess we can say that's because of those nasty kids on the other teams not letting to go where Geno wants her, some teams are just nasty that way! With the length of her body and arms; skinny or not, she should be capable of snaring a few rebound just with her size and I don't see that happening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom