The Good, Bad and Ugly | The Boneyard

The Good, Bad and Ugly

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Let me start with "bad news first."

BAD: We do not have the ideal roster. An ideal roster would have a point who was at least 5'10" (to see over the defense and have less to close out on the perimeter), have excellent court vision and anticipation and is a commanding leader. The ideal post would be at least 6'4" (I was going to use 6'3", the heights of Stokes and J. Moore, but what the heck, let's go with Lobo, Charles and Stewart instead). The other three players would be versatile wings that could play anywhere from shooting guard to power forward. We would have an extra point, post and wing for the ideal 8-player rotation. Even if we had extensive experience and great cohesion, which we do not, we fall short of the ideal.

Let me offer a token criticism as a "keyboard coach:" the Walker recruiting class was a major fail. This was different from the Sherwood/Wright/Robinson fail during our previous extended absence from a championship, though of course there is a parallel. You have an entire class of three transfer and you have problems. Same with three out of four transferring. The difference being that the Walker class were all too similar in positions and having that all in the same class was asking for trouble. If Auriemma did not recruit all four we would be complaining about the short roster and how doomed we were in recruiting, but that's where we ended up anyways because of three out of four with similar heights and skill sets transferring.

GOOD: Before the season started I would have said a championship is unlikely, the Final Four would be desirable, the Elite Eight would be satisfactory and only less than the Elite Eight would be unsatisfactory. I still think we are in the Elite Eight category, which to me is good news. That would mean our current four year downturn will end up with three Final Fours and an Elite Eight, whereas our previous four year downturn had only one FF and (gasp) a Sweet Sixteen. Oh, by the way, that downturn always had rosters with legitimate WNBA bigs, either J. Moore or Charles, along with complementary bigs (Sherwood, Kerns, McClaren). So here we have had shorter rosters during a time when some folks are saying we have more parity, more recruiting deficiencies and more coaching deficiencies, yet we outperformed our previous downturn. A little perspective is in order.

We have a tremendous recruiting class coming in. Unlike the Walker class they are more distinctive from each other in their projected roles. There is automatically going to be better cohesion built into this class and I think we will see most of them for all four years. We also will have at least three bigs in each of the four years. At least one year we will have four. This is probably why most posters have been fairly positive, obvious hope lies on the horizon. Yet there always are a few, which leads to the:

UGLY: I see nothing wrong with criticism per se, not even during perfect seasons. Problem solving can be fun and satisfying, plus no person nor program is perfect. The ugliness in the criticism comes in the lack of humility some posters have. Since none of us are directly involved in the day-to-day, we cannot truly know what are better alternatives. We can guess, we can offer our guesses with something along the lines of "I think," but the snark and certainty of some criticisms is much more of an indictment of posters who, no matter how brilliant or accurate they fancy they are, just do not have all the facts available.

Thus when I see the word "blame" tossed out, I cringe a little. Well, yes, different people are culpable for different mistakes, but for what are they being blamed? Blaming anyone for not being perfect is absurd, so one would think blame is warranted only if being less than perfect leads to worse results than can be expected. I posted elsewhere that the goals, in order, are: developing good players and people, having a squad play a certain way, win championships and win games. No program during their "high" period has accomplished those goals better than what UConn has done during this recent downturn. Tossing out the word "blame" when no alternative for what works better can be presented as an example is just plain ugly.

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I hate it when posters go rogue. ;)
Perhaps not the most elegant way of saying I want to combine "bad news first" with "good, bad and ugly."

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Let me offer a token criticism as a "keyboard coach:" the Walker recruiting class was a major fail. This was different from the Sherwood/Wright/Robinson fail during our previous extended absence from a championship, though of course there is a parallel. You have an entire class of three transfer and you have problems. Same with three out of four transferring. The difference being that the Walker class were all too similar in positions and having that all in the same class was asking for trouble. If Auriemma did not recruit all four we would be complaining about the short roster and how doomed we were in recruiting, but that's where we ended up anyways because of three out of four with similar heights and skill sets transferring.

This is really the crux of it. The phrase "It's the recruiting, stupid" has come to my mind repeatedly in recent months. Didn't Geno himself say something to the effect of: "In recruiting you can't miss a year, and we missed two"? By which I can only assume he means the Walker class and the current freshman class?

The thing is, that's only half the story. You can have a weak recruiting class as long as you sandwich it between strong classes (e.g. the class in between TASSK and DT comes to mind). But Crystal also turned out to be a class of one, in terms of meaningful minutes in big games. And the Christyn-Olivia class is, well, an investment far from maturity. It's downright mystifying that as of February of her sophomore year, Christyn's high water mark was a game in early December of her freshman year. Olivia, it turns out, is a project player.

It's tough to accept that our personnel is deficient when we have 4 players ranked in the top 5 coming out of HS, including two #1 players. Perhaps that should teach us the folly of relying on player rankings to tell us how good a player or class is. But what we see is who we are. As fans, we can try to strike a balance between tempering our expectations and hoping that light bulbs turn on and corners are turned, sooner than later.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is really the crux of it. The phrase "It's the recruiting, stupid" has come to my mind repeatedly in recent months. Didn't Geno himself say something to the effect of: "In recruiting you can't miss a year, and we missed two"? By which I can only assume he means the Walker class and the current freshman class?

The thing is, that's only half the story. You can have a weak recruiting class as long as you sandwich it between strong classes (e.g. the class in between TASSK and DT comes to mind). But Crystal also turned out to be a class of one, in terms of meaningful minutes in big games. And the Christyn-Olivia class is, well, an investment far from maturity. It's downright mystifying that as of February of her sophomore year, Christyn's high water mark was a game in early December of her freshman year. Olivia, it turns out, is a project player.

He most certainly did, but to say the Liv is a project player is a bit of a stretch.

Plebe

Reaction Score
He most certainly did, but to say the Liv is a project player is a bit of a stretch.
You think it's too negative? I really don't mean it as a pejorative. I'm just trying to be an objective realist. Clearly she has upside but she's just not "there" yet. Otherwise she wouldn't have been benched for such long stretches of the biggest games of the season, especially when Geno doesn't even have any other viable interior players. I'm genuinely hoping that she continues to work hard and develop good habits in both practice and games, and that the rewards of her hard work can begin to reveal themselves (preferably by March of this year :) ).

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

All programs will experience recruiting fails; all programs will experience recruiting fails in successive years. You might say we had recruiting fails in three straight classes, but we still are doing pretty well for ourselves and much better than any other program when they sustain recruiting fails in just two straight classes. I point out the Walker class as a possible tactical error in judgement. If you are going to recruit a large class, they should not have such an overlap in position. A class of one out of one, while insufficient in ways, is likely to add to the chemistry of a team better than a class of one out of four. Even after some transfer there is likely to be an impact on chemistry, and the chances of transfer increase if within the same class you recruit all similar positions. (Coombs may have been projected to be a point, but she really did not stand out as such).

I am offering a token criticism so I can turn around and say "but I do not know all the facts." It may not have been Auriemma's intention at all to end up with that type of four-player class. Even if it was, all his other "fails" were of the variety all coaches experiences, many times being beyond their control. Yet here we are, with the best four year downturn of any program you will find.

After all, we are not Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Being in the AAC hides a lot of the UGLY. If UConn was in the PAC12, SEC or ACC, they would probably have 3-4 more losses over the course of the season. As it stands right now, UConn will probably only lose 1 more game before the tournament.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Being in the AAC hides a lot of the UGLY. If UConn was in the PAC12, SEC or ACC, they would probably have 3-4 more losses over the course of the season. As it stands right now, UConn will probably only lose 1 more game before the tournament.
Maybe it hides it from the most superficial of fans. Surely we give the coaching staff and players more credit than that. You don't think they're aware of when they're not playing well? Come on. Geno is famous for his exacting standards that don't change with the scoreboard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom