The glass half full thread | The Boneyard

The glass half full thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unlike the season opener, which had you feeling like this team couldn't do anything right, there were some positives to take away from that game. Don't get me wrong, there is certainly plenty to vent about, but I at least came away feeling like real progress has been made.

So, without further ado, here are some good things that jumped out to me:
  • Chandler Whitmer: After his first season with UConn, I remember thinking he could be a solid QB for us, and he showed flashes for the first time in while. While he still made some plays that were frustrating as hell and is extremely jumpy at the first sign of pressure, he made some terrific throws and led some good drives, too.
  • The defensive line was an absolute brick wall up the middle. Great, great game by them.
  • Adding on to Whitmer was an offense that looked competent for the first time in years. Davis is just freakin' awesome (the guy could have a good NFL career ahead of him with his size), and anytime Whitmer had some semblance of protection, he was able to do a nice job spreading the ball around to different receivers/tight ends.
  • Is the football program stealing guys from the soccer program to kick field goals? If they are, keep doing it.
  • I thought the corners did a nice job on coverage, particularly in 3rd down. The safeties on the other hands...
I'm not trying to pretend like everything is sunshine and rainbows - the issues (O-line, safeties, turnovers, etc.) are extremely glaring. But we knew coming in this would be a long rebuilding process, and it was nice to see some signs of progress today.

Last edited:

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I'm in, except for the Cody Whitmer part

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Unlike the season opener, which had you feeling like this team couldn't do anything right, there were some positives to take away from that game. Don't get me wrong, there is certainly plenty to vent about, but I at least came away feeling like real progress has been made.

So, without further ado, here are some good things that jumped out to me:
  • Cody Whitmer: After his first season with UConn, I remember thinking he could be a solid QB for us, and he showed flashes for the first time in while. While he still made some plays that were frustrating as hell and is extremely jumpy at the first sign of pressure, he made some terrific throws and led some good drives, too.
  • The defensive line was an absolute brick wall up the middle. Great, great game by them.
  • Adding on to Whitmer was an offense that looked competent for the first time in years. Davis is just freakin' awesome (the guy could have a good NFL career ahead of him with his size), and anytime Whitmer had some semblance of protection, he was able to do a nice job spreading the ball around to different receivers/tight ends.
  • Is the football program stealing guys from the soccer program to kick field goals? If they are, keep doing it.
  • I thought the corners did a nice job on coverage, particularly in 3rd down. The safeties on the other hands...
I'm not trying to pretend like everything is sunshine and rainbows - the issues (O-line, safeties, turnovers, etc.) are extremely glaring. But we knew coming in this would be a long rebuilding process, and it was nice to see some signs of progress today.

We look very tough against the run, still need to pressure the QB a bit more to help out the secondary.

Davis is amazing. Wish we threw to him more.

We look so much more organized, focused & aggressive than the PP years.

Reaction Score
My glass is half-full of grain alcohol, because I downed a good amount of it watching Whitmer chuck INTs.

On a serious note though: the defense played well enough to win (minus the safeties). Whitmer can make some throws when there isn't pressure, but unfortunately, with an O-line that gives up 8+ sacks a game, pressure is almost constant.

Reaction Score
If you watched all three games, I don't know how you couldn't be optimistic after this one. Walking away from the stadium last week, it was hard to see how we'd beat even our share of the crappy teams on the schedule. The next two weeks are key to what our season will be, and now I'm interested in seeing them.

Reaction Score
Hear. Hear. Much to like about this game and I'm not into moral victories. But also much to dislike

Like:
1. The third down montage is awesome. Great job by the school
2. Whitmer's play was overall positive except for the INT at the worst tuime. Felt like the Michigan INT
3. D Line continued to shine
4. LBs looked better
5. Foxx played wel
6. Boyle looked solid
7. Puyol is looking very dependable
8. The Rent felt like the Rent again - was loud for the most part despite 10 k empty seats

Hates:
1. First quarter turnovers
2. Whitmer referred to the regular season starting next week
3. Play calling during our first scoring drive. We played for the field goal
4. Geremy Davis not on the field for roughly 50% of our plays. I just do not understand that. At one point we counted six or seven second down plays not on the field
5. Play calling on our last drive. If we're going to give Puyol work from the right hash in the first game, why not give our 2:00 drive some work in the last
6. Obi....don't know what to say about Obi. He was beaten a ton, pick up a PI and just looks lost out there.
7. 8 sacks and a whole lot more pressure. Whitmer was runnign for his life half of the day. Knappe looked lost as did Levy again. Foley needs to clean that shiite up soon

But I walked out of a 21 point loss feeling much better about this team than I did last week after a win. #huskyup

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I figured the doom and gloom crowd would overwhelm this but glad to see others share my view.

Re: safeties - don't lump in Adams with Obi. Adams made some really nice plays today particularly in run support and I didn't see him get burned in the passing game at all.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
On a serious note though: the defense played well enough to win (minus the safeties).

Minus the safeties? It seemed that Adams was around the ball all game.

Reaction Score
and we have to admit ...

BYU LOOKS like a bigtime team. Boise was very beatable (though a decent team). We have to play well; but, we will have chances to win coming up. (and we couldn't say that often in the last 24 months)

Reaction Score
Will wait for Section 241 review. Whitmer was very solid. Defense pretty solid. Adams was pretty good. Puyol can kick. Receivers held on to some tough balls.

Bad TO's, Obi looked lost, too much pressure on our QB.

Bottom line and I hate to say it. Down 24-21 with a chance to win in the 4th Q.

Reggie-miller-choke.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm on board. Mental mistakes ... I'll say it again Diaco was spot on self discipline, caring about each other and believing in themselves will take this team much further than I think we anticipated. Obi has the tools he needs to improve mentally... Those td's weren't based on physical limitations .... They were mental laps. Those turn overs weren't physical lasses (especially Davis) they were mental. I 'm buying into Diaco ... I am seeing a different energy and and a dline that is exciting.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
If you watched all three games, I don't know how you couldn't be optimistic after this one. Walking away from the stadium last week, it was hard to see how we'd beat even our share of the crappy teams on the schedule. The next two weeks are key to what our season will be, and now I'm interested in seeing them.

This is the most positive BL post of all time. Fetch me my fainting couch!

Reaction Score
Hats off to them on a gutsy effort. Yes, a couple back-breaking plays at crunch time, but UConn was right there with them. Crowd was amped up most of the game. The kids played hard.

Feel much better about this season than I did this morning.

Reaction Score
I loved everything about this game outside of the final TO (pick 6 down ten with probably 6 min left) on 3rd and a yard. Try to run it at least the first time. If you can't pick up a yard on two runs thats sad. Lead to a mass exodus as well.

Reaction Score
More than one player's parent told me that although their kids don't ever say much, they have said that under Diaco they are playing much more "for each other rather than themselves". That's a pretty big culture change and to have more than one saying the same thing, Diaco's mantra is getting through.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Will wait for Section 241 review. Whitmer was very solid. Defense pretty solid. Adams was pretty good. Puyol can kick. Receivers held on to some tough balls.

Bad TO's, Obi looked lost, too much pressure on our QB.

Bottom line and I hate to say it. Down 24-21 with a chance to win in the 4th Q.

Reggie-miller-choke.jpg
The turnovers were a major issue (have been all season to date) but there was another that nobody alluded to.

Boise St was third and goal twice yesterday and scored a TD both times. We had three of those situations and kicked two field goals (we did have one nice TD pass to Davis). They looked (at least on offense during critical situations) like a veteran team that was very comfortable with their knowledge of their playbook and confident that everyone was on the same page. We looked (as we have very often and will continue to on occasion for the foreseeable future) like a young team that is still trying to learn what their assignments are.

If between this season and opening game next year we can get our offensive line in order we can have a nice offense (I believe we will have a very solid defense by then) from 2015 forward.

Reaction Score
That pick where the kid ripped it away from Davis, not sure who that one should be on, Davis or Whitmer. Seemed if the pass was there a hair earlier Davis makes a clean catch and UConn is still in it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That pick where the kid ripped it away from Davis, not sure who that one should be on, Davis or Whitmer. Seemed if the pass was there a hair earlier Davis makes a clean catch and UConn is still in it.

I think you are reaching in attempting to absolve Davis on that one.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Funny thing is I complained to my friend at the game that they should target Davis whenever they see single coverage. Just throw it to him and let him use his strength and athleticism to make a play. He has a little (maybe not enough) megatron in him. Of course the next thing that happens is he gets out muscled for the ball in single coverage. Oh well, like the strategy but ultimately the kids need to make plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom