The Girls finding out they can play | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Girls finding out they can play

Reaction Score
What about the guards they have who already know the system? She will have to beat them out and they have a head start.
I'm thinking about who she beat out (at Hopkins, MN) to play varsity in High School on a State Runner's up team when she was in eighth grade - probably some Juniors and Sophomores (similar situation five years removed). She was the MVP as the youngest player on U19 with some college women on the team that are highly regarded.

Play the national anthem already! Let's GOOOOOOOO!

Reaction Score
I'm thinking about who she beat out (at Hopkins, MN) to play varsity in High School on a State Runner's up team when she was in eighth grade - probably some Juniors and Sophomores (similar situation five years removed). She was the MVP as the youngest player on U19 with some college women on the team that are highly regarded.

Play the national anthem already! Let's GOOOOOOOO!

And who she beat out on the U19 team. Check out the stats:

file:///C:/Users/lenki/Downloads/WU19%20stats%20USApdf.pdf

Her fellow starters were Van Lith, Boston, Ryne Howard and Hillmon-Baker. Bueckers got the most court time, easily led the team in assists (38-16 a/to) despite Van Lith being the point, and with seconds left and trailing by 2 in the championship game it was Bueckers who hit Van Lith with perfect in-bounds pass to tie the game.

Whether she starts or not Bueckers will be a main cog in the rotation from game 1.

Reaction Score
I think the most exciting thing about this upcoming season is that none of us what Geno is going to do. There is so much potential on this team, individually and as a whole. WE KNOW what we want to happen, and we can speculate and suggest what should be, but in reality, we don't have a clue. We can say what WE would do if WE were the head coach, and it makes interesting reading until the season actually starts. We are not in the presence of the players day to day. We don't know what the freshmen are doing against the returning players in practice. The coaches know the strengths and weaknesses of each player. We don't.

We know what the freshmen did against their peers in high school. Each one of them were "All Everything" at that level. They come to UConn leaving all those trophies, records, accolades and confidence behind. Can they do the same thing, and have the same amount of success at THIS level against players bigger, stronger, faster, more talented, more mature and in some cases 3 years older than they are?

THAT is the $64,000 question (I'm dating myself). We've talked about Bueckers and Edwards ad nauseam this summer. We talked very little about Mir, Nika and Piath. Many here think that Paige and Aaliyah will either start, or be the first ones off the bench. Piath is deemed to be a project this year. Little has been written or mentioned about these three. Could they be "dark horses" that turn out to be the biggest surprises of the year? I'd be OK with that.

I can't wait to get regular reports out of practice this year from beat reporters. In addition to hearing from Geno, I'd also like to hear from the assistants as well. I think we're all interested in finding out how much each player has improved over the summer, and who is separating themselves from the others in practice. How quickly can this team "jell", and play the type of UConn basketball we're use to seeing?

View attachment 59057

The spotlight is on Paige Bueckers, coming in as the number one recruit in her class, winner of every basketball related award she was eligible for. Will she or won't she........be ready to begin the season as a starter? Can't wait to see our team in a non-exhibition game against "competent" top 40 competition. It's difficult to evaluate players (the team) against lower tier (mid-major) teams.

November 25 can't come soon enough. I wonder how the teams on UConn's schedule feels. Most coaches like to begin the season with teams they know they can beat. They want to establish a winning culture at the outset, and build on each win going forward, and play better teams as the season progresses. How would you like to begin the season with UConn as your first opponent? :confused:

Counting down the daze..................... Full practices can begin in 19 days on Oct. 14. :)
Keep in mind Paige was also the female athlete of the year [beyond the basket ball award].

My thought is that this group of talented women with the best coaching staff on the planet will blow out the 10th - 40th ranked teams by 30 - 55 points, as when the starters are substituted out, the fresh player will be playing inside the system at full speed to EARN more playing time.

I agree completely with your assessment....

Can't wait for the schedule to come out AND nothing being cancelled or postponed...

Reaction Score
And who she beat out on the U19 team. Check out the stats:

file:///C:/Users/lenki/Downloads/WU19%20stats%20USApdf.pdf

Her fellow starters were Van Lith, Boston, Ryne Howard and Hillmon-Baker. Bueckers got the most court time, easily led the team in assists (38-16 a/to) despite Van Lith being the point, and with seconds left and trailing by 2 in the championship game it was Bueckers who hit Van Lith with perfect in-bounds pass to tie the game.

Whether she starts or not Bueckers will be a main cog in the rotation from game 1.
To get to the stats this link can be used: USA Women's U19 World Cup Team
then click on USA.... it will go to your users file...

Reaction Score
Too funny. Glad they are bonding well and developing that chemistry.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Bueckers over Westbrook in the starting lineup. With all her recent injuries, Geno will probably be very careful with limited minutes in the 1st half of the season.

First of all, I want to go on record that I only have an educated guess of who Geno will start, not a preference. I have full faith and confidence in whoever he starts.

Evina was cleared for full contact without any restrictions about two months ago. She’s been in the weight room everyday since getting stronger and healthier. I think she’s as as far removed from her injury right now as she’s going to get. Whether Geno puts her on a “pitch count “ remains to be seen.

After sitting out last year, you know she’s chomping at the bit to play again. UConn will be extremely formidable regardless of who starts at the point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom