The Geno Show transcript | The Boneyard

The Geno Show transcript

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Injuries have prevented team from gelling, in some respects. Not having Lou was significant, not having Gabby is also difficult

Kia misses shots in practice, makes everything in games

This team needs more coaching on mental aspect than basketball issues. Has too many lapses during games

Azura is great three point shooter, don't know where that went. Makes them all in practice but not in games. Starting to embrace pressure and expectations of being a UConn player. Not a lot of players in the country that have her upside

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno in practice - coaches watch you [players] in practice and believe what we see is what we'll get from you in games. Do you set screens, cut hard, and so on? Who do we trust? You have to earn trust.

Geno says team can't function unless it's based on trust. If you don't believe in your teammates you won't play as hard. Depends on freshmen on how long it takes to earn trust - average freshman can't earn trust, that's normal. Some walk in and earn it in 5 minutes.

Geno - Megan has tremendous upside. Megan sees herself as shooter, scorer s now she's being asked to do more. She knows she has to do more to play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno in practice to team - who says you have to score to be important in game?

I want them to do what my players did 25 years ago. Guys on our team don't know how to play together, they want to score because they don't trust teammates. It's always a struggle.

Commercial again

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno on 1,000 wins ponders what's right/appropriate to say. "Do you ever hear people talk about these things?" It's mind-boggling. These are things best left to others to discuss

Geno remembers win 1 like it was yesterday. Got two technical fouls. Excited to get first win as head coach. Win 1000 is different from win 1, not better or worse. Wins represent all the milestones, doesn't compare to Final Four. Thinks FF is great. Doesn't compare to gold medal. All are just different and milestones along the way.

Looks at names on wall "look at that [the names of UConn greats]. Why did it take so long to win 1000 [with all those great players]?"

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno -"whatever my players say, I don't buy it"

(Husband talking to me....)

Geno- I miss beating teams no one thought we could beat

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
From Huskies All Access - coaches feel guilty after 2017 Final Four loss, CD says she's not over it - she scouted MSU.

Lou - we have target on our back, fans root against us. Every game is other team's best game. That's why I want to win every game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno in practice to team - who says you have to score to be important in game?

I want them to do what my players did 25 years ago. Guys on our team don't know how to play together, they want to score because they don't trust teammates. It's always a struggle.

Commercial again

I think this show makes it clear why Geno just does not put freshman into the game during garbage time if they are not ready. As Geno says, a coach has 2 choices.

1) Keep the standards (team play) high and give minutes when they are earned in practice
2) Give in to the players of today who only want to score and let the offense degenerate into school yard style.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Shea - everyone was best player on high school team, won a lot of awards, and she thinks she can do it all by herself. The first thing we teach is how to be a good teammate. If they don't learn that, they don't last long here

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno - Coaching is like a drug. You love it and you want to keep going and going and going. I have no idea when I'm coaching my last game. It wont be something I announce some September and then go on a victory tour. I hate that

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Marissa - people forget that players have families and school, other things besides basketball. Is proud how kids present themselves in public

Dee Rowe calls Lou a treasure to have on team. Said Lou is a great shooter and passer

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno know it's ridiculous to tell players that have lost 2 games in college career they need to be better players. But he wants them to work on little things. As a group, team needs to work on little things, big picture looks great

Geno - Juniors and seniors need to demand more from themselves rather than have coaches on them. And they need to be responsible for underclassmen as well

Kia - it's our job to care for the tradition, help underclassmen and let them know we have their back

Andra - I know they can go to them [upperclassmen] for anything, that they're there for us

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
CD- current team needed to lose last year, and maybe a few more. Not all teams need to lose to improve their focus

Sue Bird - after a loss, you want to see the hunger increase.

Shea - were still trying to figure out what we have with the younger kids and how the team will develop its personality.

Geno to team - everyone should be alert and in the game (mentally) even if they're on the bench. If that doesn't happen, we're going to collapse during the season

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Shea - our team has something to prove after loss last year. Interested in watching older guys to see how they react, if they're as motivated as they say they are.

Shea - Crystal decided to be different, she's the one that decided to put in the work, would like to see her continue

Shea - no one knows how hard it is here until they get here. The players re doing the work. If they want to play, they have to be willing to do anything team needs to get there

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno - we have to manage minutes this year, may not make everyone happy. Need to teach young guys to play defense. Getting them to play D not an easy task and some aren't willing. If you have 7-8 that are willing, there's an answer to that

Reaction Score
Geno in practice - coaches watch you [players] in practice and believe what we see is what we'll get from you in games. Do you set screens, cut hard, and so on? Who do we trust? You have to earn trust.

Geno says team can't function unless it's based on trust. If you don't believe in your teammates you won't play as hard. Depends on freshmen on how long it takes to earn trust - average freshman can't earn trust, that's normal. Some walk in and earn it in 5 minutes.

Geno - Megan has tremendous upside. Megan sees herself as shooter, scorer s now she's being asked to do more. She knows she has to do more to play.

Thanks for putting it all down in writing nan. As I've heard today and many other times from Geno/Chris - the bold sums up freshmen. Yet every year we'll hear some speak of "how concerned" they are that the freshmen "aren't very good." I just shake my head - I can't believe some have way too high expectations from the non-top 5 recruit.

Also-- we heard for much of the summer and to start the season of the "minute problem." Every year I hear that I roll my eyes too. As you mention on another post- Gneo responds that he has answers for that. The point is-- he always does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom