The Geno Auriemma Show 2/1/17

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
thanks for posting

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think Geno really likes sitting across from Justine....kind of a babbling philosopher when she is around.
I'd be the same if I was sitting across from her

wade-kid.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There was a little something he said that keeps niggling at me. He was talking about visiting coaches and said words to the effect that the coaches see the elements of a drill and think they can take them home and replicate it ... pause...but they can't. Anybody else note that? I wish he had not said it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There was a little something he said that keeps niggling at me. He was talking about visiting coaches and said words to the effect that the coaches see the elements of a drill and think they can take them home and replicate it ... pause...but they can't. Anybody else note that? I wish he had not said it.
Why?

Seems like he was channeling Robert McCall:

Old man's gotta be the old man. Fish has got to be the fish. Gotta be who you are in this world, no matter what.

Reaction Score
I think it was in the flow of the broader point he was trying to make, and that is a coach can't simply watch a UConn practice and install the same plays for their team. I think the real benefit to seeing a practice is more along the lines of the types of drills they do and how practice is run versus specific plays designed for UConn players.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think the larger point Geno's trying to make is that every coach has unique talents and propensities and it's no good trying to copy someone else. You can't be a great coach and teacher by the numbers. If you imitate someone else, you're creatively dead. That's Emerson's self-reliance.

I know what I don't know. That's straight out of the Socratic paradox: I know only one thing: that I'm ignorant of wisdom, and that's one thing more than everyone else knows. And in that way I'm wise.

Geno's a homespun philosopher, and yet you can see how deeply anchored his thinking is in Plato and Emerson.

And what is consistent in this and across all his interviews is how he sees his job: that he can teach a player, that he can help a player. He's terrific at never appearing to be doing this for his own ego, for UConn, for the records etc., but for the kids he recruits.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why?

Seems like he was channeling Robert McCall:

Old man's gotta be the old man. Fish has got to be the fish. Gotta be who you are in this world, no matter what.

Why? While he may not have meant it in that way, it comes across to me as cocky or condescending.

Reaction Score
I just took it as "just because somebody is a basketball coach doesn't necessarily mean they're a good one". Lotta wannabes out there that think they're really good.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think the larger point Geno's trying to make is that every coach has unique talents and propensities and it's no good trying to copy someone else. You can't be a great coach and teacher by the numbers. If you imitate someone else, you're creatively dead. That's Emerson's self-reliance.

I know what I don't know. That's straight out of the Socratic paradox: I know only one thing: that I'm ignorant of wisdom, and that's one thing more than everyone else knows. And in that way I'm wise.

Geno's a homespun philosopher, and yet you can see how deeply anchored his thinking is in Plato and Emerson.

And what is consistent in this and across all his interviews is how he sees his job: that he can teach a player, that he can help a player. He's terrific at never appearing to be doing this for his own ego, for UConn, for the records etc., but for the kids he recruits.

That addresses Rocky's point: To be great is to be misunderstood. (Emerson)

Reaction Score
A few items jumped out at me while watching “The GA Show.” First, Geno's apt analogy between professional entertainers in the theater and the responsibility of his women's team to replicate what they have prepared to do. Actors are expected to make each performance seem new and fresh, as if they had never done it before. Coach expects his players to treat each game with the same focus and energy as the last regardless of the opponent. Every game stands alone and requires the same attention.

He might have taken the analogy farther by introducing the element of beauty into the mix. When things “work,” whether on stage or on the court, they seem as natural and effortless and inevitable as can be. How often has someone called one of UConn's transition baskets “beautiful”? Geno refers to this as “flow”; when it's going it's a sort of perfection. Sometimes I feel that the team doesn't have to actually score the basket, so distractingly beautiful is the process.

Finally, Coach was wearing a wire when he spoke to the losing SMU coach saying that if his kids played as hard as they did against the Huskies they were going to win a lot of games. This after Geno also said on his show that that's the absolute worst thing you can say (or hear) about a team. Playing hard at UConn is a given, said Geno, it's the “baseline” for everything else. For some teams, I guess, it's all you can say about what they bring. Hmm.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Finally, Coach was wearing a wire when he spoke to the losing SMU coach saying that if his kids played as hard as they did against the Huskies they were going to win a lot of games. This after Geno also said on his show that that's the absolute worst thing you can say (or hear) about a team. Playing hard at UConn is a given, said Geno, it's the “baseline” for everything else. For some teams, I guess, it's all you can say about what they bring. Hmm.
was he wearing a wire... or was a mic just attached to the camera?

I wonder if he's wired (so his grandkids can sell "never heard rare footage" of his huddles) and become rich

Reaction Score

I wonder if he's wired (so his grandkids can sell "never heard rare footage" of his huddles) and become rich
Italians from Philly wear wires. Ask the various federal law enforcement agencies lol.

Reaction Score

They're already rich (even the ones who aren't born yet)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'd be the same if I was sitting across from her

wade-kid.jpg
A friend came over one day and looked at a photo of me at about the same age as here. He looked at the photo for a few seconds, then looked up at me and said in all seriousness, "This is you? Wow! What happened?". My pal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom