The Geno Auriemma Show 1/24/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Geno Auriemma Show 1/24/18

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So winning that game in Texas was just luck? He could have plugged in Megan, Lexi, or Kyla and the result would have been exactly the same? So why didn't he if winning the game wasn't the most important thing? You don't think Holly Warlick coaches her players to be better in all aspects of their lives and that it's just a Geno thing?
A couple of observations with your perspective-Megan could have and probably should have played. Kyla and Lexi-absolutely not. One is a work in progress who, while astute, simply doesn't have the quickness for that game and the other is too new to understand how to make an impact.
Many of the very good coaches help players be better in all the aspects of their lives and it is not just a "Geno" or CD thing. There are many players who extol the virtue of their coaches. Many a Tenn player has recounted what Pat did for them. I do think this "personal touch" is something Holly learned from Pat and is why she is so successful as recruiting top talent. We bash Holly here for her lack of coaching in games and the development of her players within the basketball skills universe. I think to a player, all them end up being nice, contributing members of society. Holly exhibits her passion to the Lady Vol program on her sleeve. Unfortunately, that is not enough if the fans expect Final Four results every year. There is Geno/CD who have been to 10 straight FF with no signs of it abating and then there are others who would be considered FF material on a regular basis (ND, SC, Stan, BU) and then a few who should occassionally attend- Lou, Tenn, Tex with others trying to break through-Oregon, Oregon State, MSU on a regular basis-one time is not a breakthrough.
To truly be successful, you need to be genuine and there are a lot of coaches who are genuine. There are also a lot of coaches who are not...

Reaction Score
You may be biased :) but you're right. Excellent questions exploring serious topics that prompted interesting and revealing (at least for me) answers.

When Justine told Geno " Its not realistic to play with six plsyers" and Geno said sure I can why not, maybe it's not idea but very realistic. I was hoping Justine was going to say something like. " Well with Gabby, Lou and Danger all with Nagging injuries it might be a nice idea to have a 7 or 8th man for conference play". She could have dropped the mic on Geno ha ha.

Reaction Score
Not only did he not blame Saniya, but he used that episode for the benefit of his teaching. Everyone who follows UConn basketball closely knows that Chong, in the end, was on of the best success stories in recent history. She was playing because she had earned Coach's trust, something withheld from her for almost 3 years. Just try. No need to be perfect. Mistakes happen. We're all human. Move on.
I have to agree with HuskeyNan's interpretation...that he did not "blame" Saniya. He used a very well known game situation to teach his current players a point ... about not to panic when things are extremely intense. He was not "dredging up the past" to blame the loss on a particular player, but bringing up a real life example as a teaching tool. He used Diana T as an example in another teaching moment.

I believe we all appreciate the Senior Year Saniya had... she is a success story...and her Professional BB success thus far is further proof of how far she has come.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I got the impression that Geno is not having fun this season, and is getting closer to retirement. He may very well go out with Collier and KLS next season. Sorry, that's just my impression.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I got the impression that Geno is not having fun this season, and is getting closer to retirement. He may very well go out with Collier and KLS next season. Sorry, that's just my impression.
This type of speculation should be it's own thread.:rolleyes: (sarcasm)

Reaction Score

I think he kinda said it's been a weird year and something keeps popping up. Maybe it's injury, girls not playing the uconn way, slow to develop bench, Etc.
Every year is different. One thing to remember Geno does seem more healthy this year. Wasn't he run down last year? Or year before? Had the flu or something. Outside of a cold that effected him a few days at least he seems physically healthy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Moriah and others have said that the coaches break you down and then build you back up. I think that breaking them down hit its high point around the Tulsa game, and Geno has been building them up since. The bench played 2 good games in a row.

Reaction Score
Doubt it. He's asked about retirement several times a year, and the way he says "I don't know" in response to the question is in a way that gives off the impression that he hasn't even considered it let alone seriously contemplated it. When is his current contract up? Bet he signs another 5 year deal and then will maybe start thinking about it.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I love all the episodes of "Geno Auriemma Show", but this episode was truly remarkable. This episode touched on so many things. I love how Geno made this a teachable episode, by touching on the past, present and future. Geno also made it clear, Saniya wasn't to blame for the loss in the Final Four. Whoever is writing and e-mailing him....stop!! :). Geno and staff will be during more homework recruitment season. There might not be another 4 player recruitment class. In a tight game, the Coaches always know who will take the last shot, by what the players do in practice.
I love Geno Auriemma, Staff and UConn!!

Reaction Score
I think Geno silenced (or I hope he silenced) a few arm chair coaches with the episode. I, for one, am quite tired of the Geno bashing and second-guessing lately. Like I said before - Are we tired of winning now? If Geno was an old softie and that team slipped in the rankings and started losing games would we be happier because the ladies were being treated w/kid gloves and not being worked too hard? I think not. Why can't we all just be happy? It's not that hard. UConn basketball is basically the only joy in my life right now..so let it be fun and let's just discuss the games.. Bravo Geno, Bravo!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom